Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 19:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Comibatorics Question with Scenarios

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 429 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Comibatorics Question with Scenarios [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2010, 09:29
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
A men's basket ball team assigns every player a two digit number for the back of his jersey. If the digit uses the digits 1 to 5, what is the maximum number of players that can join the league such that no player has a number with repeated digits (like 22) & no two players have the same number??

Guys, after answering the above question, kindly consider the following scenarios:

Scenario 1: What will be the answer, if the repetition (eg 22) is allowed.

Scenario 2: What will be the answer, if every player is assigned a "three" digit number from the digits 1 to 5 & the repetition of digits (eg 323 or 333) is not allowed.

Scenario 3: What will be the answer, if every player is assigned a "three" digit number from the digits 1 to 5 & the repetition of digits (eg 323 or 333) is allowed.

Well, I think if I can get some views on these scenarios, I can understand "Combinatorics". These scenarios emerged as a result of a discussion between myself & AtifS (an active member of the club & my partner).

The source of question is MGMAT Guide while the 3 scenarios are our creation.

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Comibatorics Question with Scenarios [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2010, 09:46
Hussain15 wrote:
A men's basket ball team assigns every player a two digit number for the back of his jersey. If the digit uses the digits 1 to 5, what is the maximum number of players that can join the league such that no player has a number with repeated digits (like 22) & no two players have the same number??

1st digit = 5 ways
2nd digit = 4 ways
total = 5*4 = 20 players

Please mention the OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Comibatorics Question with Scenarios [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2010, 09:49
Hussain15 wrote:
Guys, after answering the above question, kindly consider the following scenarios:
Scenario 2: What will be the answer, if every player is assigned a "three" digit number from the digits 1 to 5 & the repetition of digits (eg 323 or 333) is not allowed.
Scenario 3: What will be the answer, if every player is assigned a "three" digit number from the digits 1 to 5 & the repetition of digits (eg 323 or 333) is allowed.

Scenario1: if repetition allowed then its 5 * 5 = 25 players.

Scenario 2: 5 * 4 * 3 = 60 players.

Scenario 3: 5 * 5 * 5 = 125 players.
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 429 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Comibatorics Question with Scenarios [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2010, 11:14
Thanks for the input, official answer will be shared soon after a few inputs.

Posted from my mobile device Image

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Haas, Ross, Cornell, LBS, INSEAD, Oxford, IESE/IE
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 117

GMAT Tests User
Re: Comibatorics Question with Scenarios [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2010, 11:15
bangalorian2000 wrote:
Hussain15 wrote:

Nice! can you please! explain y did you take 5*5=5^2 for 1st scenario and y did you take 5*5*5=5^3 for 3rd scenario? I just wanted to know the logic behind t. Well I think 5 options are possible for 1st digit and similarly 5 for 2nd digit. Same goes for 3-digit number. But would like to know your explanation as there might be anything useful to know :)
Thanks,

-A

"Don't be afraid of the space between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so."
Target=780
http://challengemba.blogspot.com
Kudos??

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Comibatorics Question with Scenarios [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2010, 20:50
AtifS wrote:
bangalorian2000 wrote:
Hussain15 wrote:

Nice! can you please! explain y did you take 5*5=5^2 for 1st scenario and y did you take 5*5*5=5^3 for 3rd scenario? I just wanted to know the logic behind t. Well I think 5 options are possible for 1st digit and similarly 5 for 2nd digit. Same goes for 3-digit number. But would like to know your explanation as there might be anything useful to know :)
Thanks,

-A

The logic is same as you said,
if digit repeat is allowed than
ways to select 1st digit = 5 (either of 1,2,3,4,5)
ways to select 2nd digit = 5 (either of 1,2,3,4,5)
total = 5*5 = 25

for the case when number on player's shirt is of three digits then
ways to select 1st digit = 5 (either of 1,2,3,4,5)
ways to select 2nd digit = 5 (either of 1,2,3,4,5)
ways to select 3rd digit = 5 (either of 1,2,3,4,5)
total = 5*5*5 = 125
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Haas, Ross, Cornell, LBS, INSEAD, Oxford, IESE/IE
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 117

GMAT Tests User
Re: Comibatorics Question with Scenarios [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2010, 22:22
@bangalorian!
Now that's better :) even a newbie can understand that's why I asked you to explain it because others can understand it easily.
P.S: Actually! I did have idea after discussion with Hussain15 but wasn't sure and also wanted others views.

"Don't be afraid of the space between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so."
Target=780
http://challengemba.blogspot.com
Kudos??

Re: Comibatorics Question with Scenarios   [#permalink] 24 Mar 2010, 22:22