Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 20:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Committee X and Committee Y, which have no common members,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Committee X and Committee Y, which have no common members, [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2004, 21:27
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
19. Committee X and Committee Y, which have no common members, will combine to form Committee Z. Does Committee X have more members than Committee Y ?

(1) The average (arithmetic mean) age of the members of Committee X is 25.7 years and the average age of the members of Committee Y is 29.3 years.

(2) The average (arithmetic mean) age of the members of Committee Z will be 26.6 years.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2004, 23:22
A.

no of members is not given, so insufficient.

B
avg and no of members of x and y are not given, so insufficient.

C.

equate the total number of members for each club.......equation is

x(25..) + y(29..) = (x+y)(26..)

ratio of x/y is got from the equation. So C is sufficient.

- ash

ash

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2004, 10:03
At first I side E, because I couldn't get the value of committee X and Y. but I realized that the answer must be "yes or no", then from the ratio we can do that.

It is a tricky type of questions, is it?

-Genius is one percent inspiration, and ninety-nine percent perspiration.

CIO
CIO
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2004, 23:02
C. after doing a number of these questions, you should see right away that whenever you have the individual averages and the combined averages, you always get the ratio of the two groups. The answer could take as little as 20 seconds without checking. And it is important, since something similar has been on 3 out of the last 4 GMAT's I've taken.

While the algebraic way is right, in my opinion it's a little hard to master for those who don't like algebra. I like to simply diagram these problems like this:

|---------.9------|------2.7------|
25.7-----------26.6------------29.3
X..................Z....................Y

It looks crazy on the computer screen all typed out, but on paper it takes only 10 seconds. The top line is the difference between the numbers in the middle line.

This is all you have to do. In order to get the right ratio, cross-connect the X to 2.7 and the Y to .9, and you get X:Y=2.7:.9=27:9=3:1

And there's no algebra! Try it on paper and you'll see how easy it is...
  [#permalink] 11 Jul 2004, 23:02