Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 May 2016, 08:45
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Committee X and Committee Y, which have no common members,

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2008
Posts: 103
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 1

Committee X and Committee Y, which have no common members, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2009, 01:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions

HideShow timer Statictics

This topic is locked. If you want to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum.

19. Committee X and Committee Y, which have no common members, will combine to form Committee Z. Does Committee X have more members than Committee Y ?
(1) The average (arithmetic mean) age of the members of Committee X is 25.7 years and the average age of the members of Committee Y is 29.3 years.
(2) The average (arithmetic mean) age of the members of Committee Z will be 26.6 years.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 13 Nov 2003
Posts: 790
Location: BULGARIA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

Re: Commitee age.......... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2009, 02:20
Hi,
I believe the ans is C

Stmnt 1

It gives us the averages of both committees but we do not know how many members these committtees have

Stmnt 2 is not suff by itself since we know nothing about the committees that make com Z

From both statements if comtes have equal number of peple then the avg should be (25.7+29.3)/2=27.5.
It is given that the avg of Z is 26.6 which means that the committee with lower average ( 25.7) is bigger.

Regards
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Aug 2006
Posts: 248
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Commitee age.......... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2009, 18:36
Interesting problem. An opportunity to learn, I hope.
IMO E.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2008
Posts: 139
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 40

Re: Commitee age.......... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2009, 03:34
milind1979 wrote:
19. Committee X and Committee Y, which have no common members, will combine to form Committee Z. Does Committee X have more members than Committee Y ?
(1) The average (arithmetic mean) age of the members of Committee X is 25.7 years and the average age of the members of Committee Y is 29.3 years.
(2) The average (arithmetic mean) age of the members of Committee Z will be 26.6 years.


x: number of members of committee X
y: number of members of committee Y

(1) insufficient
(2) insufficient
(1) and (2)
(1) => sum of ages of all members of Com X is 25.7 * x
sum of ages of all members of Com Y is 29.3 * y
(2) average age of members of Com Z = (sum of ages of all X members + sum of ages of all Y members) / (number of members of committee Z)
= (25.7 * x + 29.3 * y) / (x+y)
= 26.6
So 25.7 * x + 29.3 *y = 26.6 * x + 26.6 * y
27 * x = 9 * y
x = 3y

C for me
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2008
Posts: 139
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 40

Re: Commitee age.......... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2009, 03:37
BG wrote:
Hi,
I believe the ans is C

Stmnt 1

It gives us the averages of both committees but we do not know how many members these committtees have

Stmnt 2 is not suff by itself since we know nothing about the committees that make com Z

From both statements if comtes have equal number of peple then the avg should be (25.7+29.3)/2=27.5.
It is given that the avg of Z is 26.6 which means that the committee with lower average ( 25.7) is bigger.

Regards

Very good answer in my opinion.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Aug 2006
Posts: 248
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Commitee age.......... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2009, 06:58
DavidArchuleta wrote:
milind1979 wrote:
19. Committee X and Committee Y, which have no common members, will combine to form Committee Z. Does Committee X have more members than Committee Y ?
(1) The average (arithmetic mean) age of the members of Committee X is 25.7 years and the average age of the members of Committee Y is 29.3 years.
(2) The average (arithmetic mean) age of the members of Committee Z will be 26.6 years.


x: number of members of committee X
y: number of members of committee Y

(1) insufficient
(2) insufficient
(1) and (2)
(1) => sum of ages of all members of Com X is 25.7 * x
sum of ages of all members of Com Y is 29.3 * y
(2) average age of members of Com Z = (sum of ages of all X members + sum of ages of all Y members) / (number of members of committee Z)
= (25.7 * x + 29.3 * y) / (x+y)
= 26.6
So 25.7 * x + 29.3 *y = 26.6 * x + 26.6 * y
27 * x = 9 * y
x = 3y

C for me


Excellent!
Thank you.
Re: Commitee age..........   [#permalink] 29 Apr 2009, 06:58
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Committee X and Committee Y, which have no common members,

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.