Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 20:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Communicating with Schools?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Communicating with Schools? [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2006, 16:51
So I am wondering how you all look at communicating with the admissions folks at the schools you're applying to.

I am a small-town MidWesterner and am thereby LOATHE to be a bother. "Oh, don't mind me...I am just applying to your school...really, read the app if you have time...it's no big deal..."

Ok, exaggerating here, but I definitely do my utmost to read all instructions and manage the application procecss on my own. I am almost done with my apps and haven't actually felt an urge to call or email. But am I missing out on an opportunity to connect?

Have you all been in contact with the adcoms? About what? And when in the process?

By the way, when I have gone to visit I have been sure to give a firm handshake, ask smart questions, be pleasant, charming, and hopefully rememberable in a positive way. I'm no wallflower, just don't want folks to think I'm a high-maintenance pain.

thanks, all
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 1540 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2006, 16:58
I communicate during visits, try and connect with people as much as possible, but otherwise I don't much contact them. The only exception to that being an update to my application, but if I do that its just a short and sweet note after the deadline.

OasisNYK I believe had managed to get in some good face time with some adcoms so maybe he can comment on his strategies.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2006, 13:57
aaudetat, you actually put words to things weighing on my mind too...

I too haven't had any reasons till now to contact the AdCom. Most of my queries have been answered though the schools' websites or through various forums like our club. Haven't found one single reason to connect with the AdCom and that makes me wonder if i am missing out on anything..

I mean i have read about people who have managed to develop good relationships with Admission Directors and others (whether it helps, remains to be confirmed).

i can not help but think that i am missing something...but i don't know what to do about it :?

having said that...how do i express/convey my enthusiasm about a program to the corresponding school? I don't want to drop a note stating how much i really really want to be a part of xyz school...
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2006, 14:08
I honestly feel that unless you have a really good reason to be contacting the schools, then you shouldn't. There are many people who probably send pointless emails to the schools and I'm sure the adcoms can see right through them.
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2006, 14:38
It sounds like you probably need to rely on your essays and then your interview/visit to convey your enthusiasm. or maybe you could donate thousands of dollars. (that's a joke. they'd probably take your money and then reject your sorry self anyway.)

Could anyone chime in who has cultivated such a relationship during the application process?
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2006, 16:06
I never reached out to any admission officers. Heck, I can't recollect a single name.

aaudetat wrote:
It sounds like you probably need to rely on your essays and then your interview/visit to convey your enthusiasm. or maybe you could donate thousands of dollars. (that's a joke. they'd probably take your money and then reject your sorry self anyway.)

Could anyone chime in who has cultivated such a relationship during the application process?
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 432 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2006, 16:24
This might not be very profound but most schools are very willing to talk to you if you have genuine, non-obvious questions to ask them and you avoid the zenith of the admit season. After all, this is part of the job is applicant relations. I cannot stress the genuine idea enough. After speaking with enough applicants, the admissions staff get a pretty good idea of who has a serious interest in the school and who is putting on a show.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2006, 20:40
Hjort wrote:
This might not be very profound but most schools are very willing to talk to you if you have genuine, non-obvious questions to ask them and you avoid the zenith of the admit season. After all, this is part of the job is applicant relations. I cannot stress the genuine idea enough. After speaking with enough applicants, the admissions staff get a pretty good idea of who has a serious interest in the school and who is putting on a show.

And that's the thing...i am really really really interested in a school but how do i present myself to them (through adcom communications/contacts) such that

1) i do not be a pest
2) i show that i have genuine interest in the school
3) i basically project myself in a positive light

in the same regard, i have another question (which nobody bothered to answer in my sperate post on the subject :cry: )

my school doesn't require me to send the TOEFL score (i am not a US citizen). But i have taken TOEFL and have got a respectable score. Should i send the score to my target school?

will it go on to show that i am really interested in the school and filling a gap in my application? ( i have an average AWA score of 4.5 with 95 percentile in GMAT verbal)

or will it be just an overkill?

and can/should i send a mail to adcom stating that i have taken TOEFL and have sent them (can send them) my scores. And that it is to fill a gap in my profile
:?: :?:
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 432 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2006, 23:14
Starting with the TOEFL matter, I think it is not necessary to send it. The TOEFL is effectively a pass/fail test of the applicant's basic communication skills in English. Based on your V score, in combination with the rest of your application, this should not be an issue.

One of the best ways to show that your interest is sincere/avoid becoming a pest is to learn about the school before speaking with the admissions staff. Answering questions that can easily be found on the website or in the brochure is a waste of time for both your and that of the admissions officer. If someone is sincerely interested in the school, I expect them to be able to express to me what interests them in the school.
  [#permalink] 29 Dec 2006, 23:14