Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 22:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Community spokesperson : After a recent surge of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Community spokesperson : After a recent surge of [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2011, 21:12
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

45% (02:03) correct 54% (02:59) wrong based on 22 sessions
Community spokesperson: After a recent surge of foreclosures, many homes in our community are vacant and falling into disrepair. Property values are already falling, and, if action is not taken quickly, will fall even further when panicked residents begin to leave. Clearly the only way to prevent a snowball effect is to make it easy to purchase these vacant homes by offering potential buyers special mortgages with a low interest rate for the first two years.

Which of the following, if true, represents the most significant potential problem with the plan to attract buyers through special mortgage offers?

A) Interest rates in the area are already at a 5-year low, and it would be foolish of lenders to lower them even more.
B) Crime rates in the area have risen by 1% in the last year, making it less likely that potential buyers will be interested in moving to the area.
C) Most residents have lived in the area for over 20 years and do not want to leave their homes.
D) Low interests rates will likely attract buyers who will be unable to make payments when the interest rate goes up after the first two years.
E) There are few mortgage brokers in the area, making it unlikely that there will be enough personnel to assist a rush of potential home buyers.

Please help with the solution
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 15

Re: Community spokesperson [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2011, 21:49
If E is true, then the plan will not work. I pick E.

OA?
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Community spokesperson [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2011, 22:25
DexDee wrote:
If E is true, then the plan will not work. I pick E.

OA?

I will post the OA after few more discussions. But the OA is not E.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 18 [2] , given: 8

Re: Community spokesperson [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2011, 08:36
This post received
KUDOS
IMO D

plz........ kudos plz......

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 29

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Community spokesperson [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2011, 09:58
Initially I thought E.

If E is not the OA then it could be D

-------------------------------------

Last edited by g106 on 01 Nov 2011, 09:15, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Community spokesperson [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2011, 10:13
D looks the best choice

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Community spokesperson [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2011, 19:26
Folks please try to explain your answers (like reason for selection and rejection of certain option) as this is a discussion forum.
BTW the OA is D
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Community spokesperson [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2011, 08:02
D
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Information Technology(Retail)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 29

Re: Community spokesperson [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2011, 14:14
IMO-D.
As per the plan the buyers would be given special mortgages with a low interest rate for the first two years.Hence the scheme could fail if the buyers are unable to pay after interest rates are increased after 2 yrs.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Community spokesperson [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2011, 23:12
+1 for D.

The only other contender was C, but most does not mean all. Hence D wins.

Crick
Manager
Manager
Schools: IIM, ISB, & XLRI
WE 1: B.Tech (Information Technology)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

Re: Community spokesperson [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2011, 08:52
Sudhanshuacharya wrote:
Community spokesperson: After a recent surge of foreclosures, many homes in our community are vacant and falling into disrepair. Property values are already falling, and, if action is not taken quickly, will fall even further when panicked residents begin to leave. Clearly the only way to prevent a snowball effect is to make it easy to purchase these vacant homes by offering potential buyers special mortgages with a low interest rate for the first two years.

Which of the following, if true, represents the most significant potential problem with the plan to attract buyers through special mortgage offers?
According to the stem by decreasing interest rates for first two years will help to prevent snowball effect. We have to find something which represents potential problem with the plan

A) Interest rates in the area are already at a 5-year low, and it would be foolish of lenders to lower them even more.
Reducing interest rates will hamper lenders but has nothing to do with plan
B) Crime rates in the area have risen by 1% in the last year, making it less likely that potential buyers will be interested in moving to the area.
Off track and has nothing to do with proposed plan
C) Most residents have lived in the area for over 20 years and do not want to leave their homes.
D) Low interests rates will likely attract buyers who will be unable to make payments when the interest rate goes up after the first two years.
This correlates proposed plan, potential buyers and drawback of reducing interest rates.
E) There are few mortgage brokers in the area, making it unlikely that there will be enough personnel to assist a rush of potential home buyers.

Ans: 'D'
Time: 1.5 Mins

GMAT is an addiction and I am darn addicted

Preparation for final battel:
GMAT PREP-1 750 Q50 V41 - Oct 16 2011
GMAT PREP-2 710 Q50 V36 - Oct 22 2011 ==> Scored 50 in Quant second time in a row :-)
MGMAT---- -1 560 Q28 V39 - Oct 29 2011 ==> Left Quant half done and continued with Verbal. Happy to see Q39 :-)

My ongoing plan: http://gmatclub.com/forum/550-to-630-need-more-to-achieve-my-dream-121613.html#p989311

Appreciate by kudos !!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 8

Re: Community spokesperson [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2011, 11:13
I don't think it's D. The plan is to attract potential buyers. Who cares if they can't pay anymore after 2 years? The question doesnt ask or state anything about long-term effects. They'd be able to sell those houses today and thats all that matters for the question.

For the lack of other reasonable choices I'd choose E. I don't really like it because in my opinion, they could still sell the houses and it'd just take a little longer if the brokers are busy, but again i think that's the most reasonable one.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Community spokesperson [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2011, 17:57
I totalt agree! The main question is are we looking for a long term benefit or a short one? I believe a short one is asked for. E is a really bad choice but it's better since it gives explanations to the specific question? Anybody know how to distinguise between reason and specific wording in the question?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Community spokesperson : After a recent surge of [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 05:35
According to the question "Which of the following, if true, represents the most significant potential problem with the plan to attract buyers through special mortgage offers?". E is better choice than D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 28

Re: Community spokesperson : After a recent surge of [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 06:47
Sudhanshuacharya wrote:

The scope of this CR question is the potential problem of the special mortgage offer. During my first read, I can eliminate choices A, B, and C.

Only D and E left, and I took D. I think not having enough personnel may not be the potential problem of the plan. Choice D, on the other hand, can result in raising the default rate when the number of buyers who won't be able to repay increases. So, that can be considered the potential issue of the plan.

There can be Miracles when you believe

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Community spokesperson : After a recent surge of [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2011, 15:11
The problem is the wording of the question! There is no potential problem with attracting the buyers with low interests rates, they will be attracted! The problems come later but are not associated with selling houses!

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Community spokesperson : After a recent surge of [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2011, 08:42
+ 1 for D

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 12-30-2011

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 47

GMAT Tests User
Re: Community spokesperson : After a recent surge of [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2011, 09:16
+1 D

D- Day December 30 2011. Hoping for the happiest new year celebrations !

Aiming for 700+

Kudo me if the post is worth it

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants
Schools: Columbia university
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User
Re: Community spokesperson : After a recent surge of [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2011, 13:49
I go for D because:

foolish is not a word we can rely on because it might not foolish as it has positive effect since it would increase the purchases.
we can't trust percents in CR, we dont know how big the number is with 1% or how low. it is not representative.
this is irrelevant and there is an assurance word that we can't trust "DO NOT WANT".
this answer serves best as it indicates a direct problem with the plan or conclusion that people would not be able to make payments.
totally irrelevant and out of scope

hope that helps :) good luck

Sky is the limit

Re: Community spokesperson : After a recent surge of   [#permalink] 13 Nov 2011, 13:49