Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 22:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Companies, investors, and governments must relearn the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 14

Companies, investors, and governments must relearn the [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 04:01
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

59% (01:53) correct 41% (00:57) wrong based on 69 sessions
Companies, investors, and governments must relearn the guiding principles of value creation if they are to defend against future economic crises.

A. Companies, investors, and governments must relearn the guiding principles of value creation if they are to defend against future economic crises.
B. Companies, investors, along with governments must relearn the guiding principles of value creation if it is to defend against future economic crises.
C. Companies, as well as investors and governments, must relearn the guiding principles of value creation if they are to defend from future economic crises.
D. Companies, investors, and governments must relearn the guiding principles of value creation if these are to defend from future economic crises.
E. Companies, investors, and governments must relearn the guiding principles of value creation if future economic crises are to be defended

I know correct idiom is defend against but isnt A wrong they can refer to "guiding principles" or "companies,investors and government"

Source -AristotlePrep
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 1552 [0], given: 248

Re: Companies, investors, and governments must relearn the [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 05:06
Expert's post
Is it that the guiding principles are also likely to defend against future economic crises, while the investors, companies and the governments are going to mere spectators?It isn' logical. In resolving pronoun ambiguity, logic is the supreme guiding principle

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Companies, investors, and governments must relearn the [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 05:42
if u r a teacher ur tone could have been better.

Logically it is obvious that guiding principles wont be defending
but "they" is still ambiguous

in MGMAT SC
Researches claim to have developed new "nano-papers" incorporating tiny cellulose fibers, which THEY allege give THEM the strength of cast iron.

Manhattan guys have asked to remove both they and them as they are ambiguous.
For THEY logically only researchers are the antecedent , i guess "nano-papers" and cellulose fibers cant allege

Can u please explain why is THEY ambiguous in this MGMAT question
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Companies, investors, and governments must relearn the [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 05:55
rajcools wrote:
in MGMAT SC
Researches claim to have developed new "nano-papers" incorporating tiny cellulose fibers, which THEY allege give THEM the strength of cast iron.

Clearly the sentence is ambiguous and MGMAT has rightly suggested to replace the pronouns with corresponding nouns.

In the original question 'Companies, investors....':
'IF' is a subordinate conjunction and subject of the subordinate clause can logically refer to the subject of the main clause. So A is the correct answer and there is no ambiguity. Even MGMAT talks about this point in SC guide.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Re: Companies, investors, and governments must relearn the [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 06:20
Expert's post
I will not know why MGMAT says they and them are ambiguous. They, I mean, MGMAT are the best people to answer. I have the same doubt as you have. But, they are the same people who say logic is ultimate in pronoun reference; In this case all logic points to they referring to researchers. So this is a valid doubt that you can ask them and then publish clarification here

With regard to the pedagogic tone, like a fervent teacher, I wish to drive home some points forcefully. It is not to reflect upon your standing on the question. Hope you appreciate.

Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Re: Companies, investors, and governments must relearn the [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 07:03
Expert's post
Let me cite an interesting case. This is a question fro OG 12
SC Q 10

10. Carnivorous mammals can endure what would
otherwise be lethal levels of body heat because they
have a heat-exchange network which kept the brain
from getting too hot.
(A) which kept
(B) that keeps
(C) which has kept
(D) that has been keeping
(E) having kept

The ununderlined portion has a pronoun they. What does it refer to? Mammals without doubt. Can we say they is referring to lethal levels just because that is also an eligible contender along with mammals?. As per MGMAT, they may be ambiguous. However, GMAT has passed it refrring to mammals

Another example ( it may be from GPREP)

In the past several years, astronomers have detected more than 80 massive planets, most of them as large as or larger than Jupiter, which circle other stars.
A. most of them as large as or larger than Jupiter, which circle
B. most of them as large or larger than Jupiter and circling
C. most of them at least as large as Jupiter, circling
D. mostly at least as large as Jupiter, which circle
E. mostly as large or larger than Jupiter, circling

What does them refer to? Definitely not astronomers but logically only to the planets. The correct answer is C according to GMAT, accepting them as referring to planets, while we can argue that they can also refer to other eligible plural nouns.

Intern
Intern

Re: Companies, investors, and governments must relearn the [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 07:45
so what do u suggest
pronoun ambiguity should be handled on logical basis???
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [2] , given: 14

Re: Companies, investors, and governments must relearn the [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 14:10
This post received
KUDOS
Found this in manhattan forum
"
as noted a few other times on this forum - most noticeably in the GMATPrep verbal folder, but in a couple places in the other verbal folders - pronoun ambiguity is not an absolute rule. in other words, the test will clearly tolerate a certain degree of pronoun ambiguity.

in general, we've found:
the gmat will tolerate pronoun ambiguity when both of the following are satisfied:
1. the intended referent makes much more sense than do the other possible referents,
and
2. the intended referent is PARALLEL TO THE PRONOUN, and the other possible referents are NOT parallel to the pronoun.

"
Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Re: Companies, investors, and governments must relearn the [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 18:51
Expert's post
OK good; The first point says crisply what I have maintained elaborately, I suppose. I haven't seen much of MGMAT, except for a few quotes like from contributors like you. . A kudo to you for all the pains you took to make this point clear for the benefit of other audience

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: Companies, investors, and governments must relearn the [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 22:20
What exactly is the problem with option C if someone can explain it please ? Is it only the usage of defend from or some other issue as well ?
Re: Companies, investors, and governments must relearn the   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2012, 22:20