Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:01 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [20]
Given Kudos: 24
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Marketing (Other)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 673 [2]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools:ISB, Tepper - CMU, Chicago Booth, LSB
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIT Madras
Own Kudos [?]: 1246 [1]
Given Kudos: 104
 Q49  V34 GMAT 2: 720  Q50  V37
WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 704 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Re: Organizational Structure [#permalink]
Thanks for nice question and also for providing explanation along with it. It helps! +1
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
straight C.....keep it simple.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2318 [0]
Given Kudos: 974
Concentration: Finance and accounting
Schools:Johnson, Fuqua, Simon, Mendoza
GPA: 4.0
WE 3: 10
Send PM
I agree with C.

But I have got few remarks: first of all, in the first premise it is left undefined what does mean the word "Companies" and should assume that that this word should be comprehended as companies with complex structure. On the other hand, what should one assume under the words "simple organization", again it is undefined whether it is a small company or it can include any kind of company.

This is why the ans choice C can be called into question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
I too agree with feruzz77, and that is the reason I eleminated C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M$)
Send PM
C
I took some time to decide between A and C. A is tempting but incorrect because it does not address the first part of the stimulus.
Director
Director
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Own Kudos [?]: 589 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Its a C here tracking the simple keyword in the argument mentioned.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 171 [0]
Given Kudos: 110
Send PM
Re: Companies often re-organize in order to adapt to changes in [#permalink]
C it is.

'A' is indeed a tough contender, but as others have already pointed out, A does not address the first premise and hence, C is a winner. C addresses both the premises and stays within the scope of the argument.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
Send PM
ohh a good one .. had to read many time to figure out what it means
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
Schools: LBS '18
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Design (Transportation)
Send PM
Companies often re-organize in order to adapt to changes in [#permalink]
'If you choose a simple organization you can then spend your effort on teaching the people in the organization to be flexible and adapt to changes in the market place.' It never says the organization has to be kept simple. Once they're trained they'e flexible, and the organization no longer has to be simple. The premise just says that you can spend effort IF you choose a simple organization!

And a hearty request to all those who flooded the page one of this question, it'd be really helpful if you posted the reasoning as well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
i think i will sound a bit foolish but anyway i will write what i felt

option A has "their" in the end which means its talking about a the employees' adaptability whereas C has an 'it' which obviously refers to the organization.

thank you
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: Operations
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.9
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
kidchaos wrote:
Companies often re-organize in order to adapt to changes in the world around them but the market place changes much faster than organizations can re-organize. If you choose a simple organization you can then spend your effort on teaching the people in the organization to be flexible and adapt to changes in the market place.

Which of the following conclusions can be most properly inferred from the premises above.

1. Companies should invest in staff training to increase their adaptability.
2. Companies should invest in research to keep abreast of changes in the market place.
3. Companies should choose a simple organizational structure and keep it that way.
4. Companies should continuously re-organize to keep up with changes in the market place.
5. Companies should choose a matrix structure which can be re-organized more rapidly than other organizational structures.

OE:

Answer A
Investing in staff is implied by the second premise and so is very tempting to select but remember a conclusion has to tie all the premises together and this answer does does not relate to the first premise at all. This means it should be eliminated.

Answer B
Investing in research may be advantageous for the company but it does not follow from either of the premises and can be eliminated.

Answer C
Stick to on organizational structure. This fits with both premises the first says that companies cannot reorganize fast enough and the second which says effort that would have been spent re-organizing can be reinvested in more effective strategies. This looks like a good candidate.

Answer D
This contradicts the first premise and so should be eliminated as a possible conclusion.

Answer E
Again we have to assume that the premises are true and since the first premise says that companies cannot re-organize at a fast enough rate, this answer should be eliminated.

OA:

Can some experts share their views on "choose a simple organization" Vs "choose a simple organizational structure"? I don't think they mean the same.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Given Kudos: 442
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
kidchaos wrote:
Companies often re-organize in order to adapt to changes in the world around them but the market place changes much faster than organizations can re-organize. If you choose a simple organization you can then spend your effort on teaching the people in the organization to be flexible and adapt to changes in the market place.

Which of the following conclusions can be most properly inferred from the premises above.

1. Companies should invest in staff training to increase their adaptability.
2. Companies should invest in research to keep abreast of changes in the market place.
3. Companies should choose a simple organizational structure and keep it that way.
4. Companies should continuously re-organize to keep up with changes in the market place.
5. Companies should choose a matrix structure which can be re-organized more rapidly than other organizational structures.

OE:

Answer A
Investing in staff is implied by the second premise and so is very tempting to select but remember a conclusion has to tie all the premises together and this answer does does not relate to the first premise at all. This means it should be eliminated.

Answer B
Investing in research may be advantageous for the company but it does not follow from either of the premises and can be eliminated.

Answer C
Stick to on organizational structure. This fits with both premises the first says that companies cannot reorganize fast enough and the second which says effort that would have been spent re-organizing can be reinvested in more effective strategies. This looks like a good candidate.

Answer D
This contradicts the first premise and so should be eliminated as a possible conclusion.

Answer E
Again we have to assume that the premises are true and since the first premise says that companies cannot re-organize at a fast enough rate, this answer should be eliminated.

OA:

Adding my process to solve this question:

Understanding the purpose of the argument is must for conclusion questions. Given the two set of premises, we should go in thinking mode and think why these two statements are written and how they could be used to derive at some statement in the option.

One important thing that differentiates conclusions from inference is that the inference could be re-statement or derivation of a subset of statements from the given argument, but conclusion has to touch somewhat everything -> SOURCE : POWERSCORE
So, our method of tackling should be to look for option that summarizes the statements as a whole:

Premise 1: Orgs re-organize to adapt to changes and the market changes earlier than that
Mini-inference#1: This simply suggests that the re-organization should be a continuos effort
Premise 2: Teachings can be done once simple orgs are selected.
Mini-inference#2 : This statement simply means that once we have simpler orgs, teachings to adapt can be applied.
Remember this premise defines the context of the to-be argument once the conclusion from the options are added.

So, here we know two things, that org's strive for change should be continuos process, and it can be applied in simpler orgs ( a point to note here is that, we don't know in which of the cases, it will be good, but given the context if author mentions simpler, then simpler ones have higher possibility to be better)

A. This statement is true, but it does not grab the essence of the sentence. It just suggests that training is required to adapt to changes. This can be true for any type of organization and the purpose to indicate the means of using simpler org will seem useless. So, this is incorrect

B. Same reasoning as A. This option just says that they need the research. This option just justifies the premise #1, but not the passage as a whole

C. CORRECT. The essence of both options is carried in this conclusion. The mid-inference #1 says that the strive for change should be continuos and mid-inference #2 suggests that simpler organizations implementation can help achieve the same. This option suggests that the companies should maintain simpler structure. An Important point to note here is the phrase keep it that way . This summarises mid-inference # 1 and 2 as explained above.

D. Again this option will only help us with mid-inference #1 but nothing again about mid-inference #2.

E. This option also suggests something that does not define the context of the passage.

Please let me know, if my understanding faltered at any place.

Regards,
Rishav
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts