Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 05:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Company legal department to review recommendations

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 7

Company legal department to review recommendations [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 19:20
So, I just found out that my current supervisor's recommendations must be reviewed by our legal department (and they made an exception for me, usually they dont allow recommendations like this). I tried to search for things that I could do as I have a feeling that the legal department will strip out anything of value from the recommendation. I am applying for two schools on Jan 4th. Any suggestions? I am going to call the legal department tomorrow to get an idea of what can be included in the recommendation so I can update my supervisor as to what he/she is allowed to put into the recommendations. I am within 3 weeks of when they are due, and its around the holidays so I dont really have much time to change the recommenders. My reviews from this supervisor have been very good, so I am not worried about that, I just dont know what will come of it (or if he/she can incude examples as requested by the schools). I was expecting some stellar reco's from this person. My other one is from a former supervisor and I have a feeling the reco's will also be very good. What should I do? Has anyone else had this problem?
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 561 [0], given: 30

Re: Company legal department to review recommendations [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 03:19
Expert's post
Wow! I've never heard of that happen from a company.

I would say first things first - to request that your legal department revert to either you or your recommender, given that it's YOUR life which hangs in the air. Hopefully they will be reasonable and agree. If for example they have to keep things "Secret" (I've had this happen with military candidates) you can write a note to the Adcom explaining a bit.

And we'd love to hear what happens. We can perhaps all learn from your situation.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 7

Re: Company legal department to review recommendations [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 10:16
Are you saying that I ask them to also send me a copy of the recommendation before it is sent in? Is this allowed, or are there ethical issues involved with this? I know that for some schools I have to sign that I didnt have any part in writing the reco's, and in this case, I wouldn't, but maybe this is a gray area.

This is coming from a Global firm, and I am really surprised. I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with me, as they said that due to the legal environment that we live in, they could be sued for a negative outcome from a recommendation. If this continues, at some point I could see schools not requiring reco's, given that many applicants are at a disadvantage. I know that applicants can use someone else, but I have to imagine that a strong reco. from a current supervisor would hold a lot of weight in the application.
Re: Company legal department to review recommendations   [#permalink] 20 Dec 2011, 10:16