Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 05:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Company S produces two kinds of stereos: basic and deluxe.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 53 [2] , given: 13

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Company S produces two kinds of stereos: basic and deluxe. [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 10:20
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

79% (02:40) correct 21% (02:08) wrong based on 109 sessions
Company S produces two kinds of stereos: basic and deluxe. Of the stereos produced by Company S last month, 2/3 were basic and the rest were deluxe. If it takes 7/5 as many hours to produce a deluxe stereo as it does to produce a basic stereo, then the number of hours it took to produce the deluxe stereos last month was what fraction of the total number of hours it took to produce all the stereos?

A. 7/17
B. 14/31
C. 7/15
D. 17/35
E. 1/2
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3243

Kudos [?]: 22392 [3] , given: 2616

Re: Stereo problem [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 11:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
udaymathapati wrote:
Company S produces two kinds of stereos: basic and deluxe. Of the stereos produced by Company S last month, 32 were basic and the rest were deluxe. If it takes 57 as many hours to produce a deluxe stereo as it does to produce a basic stereo, then the number of hours it took to produce the deluxe stereos last month was what fraction of the total number of hours it took to produce all the stereos?
A. 7/17
B. 14/31
C. 7/15
D. 17/35
E. 1/2

udaymathapati please do check the questions when posting. Correct question is as follows:

Company S produces two kinds of stereos: basic and deluxe. Of the stereos produced by Company S last month, 2/3 were basic and the rest were deluxe. If it takes 7/5 as many hours to produce a deluxe stereo as it does to produce a basic stereo, then the number of hours it took to produce the deluxe stereos last month was what fraction of the total number of hours it took to produce all the stereos?

A. 7/17
B. 14/31
C. 7/15
D. 17/35
E. 1/2

# of basic stereos was 2/3 of total and # of deluxe stereos was 1/3 of total, let's assume total=15, then Basic=10 and Deluxe=5.

Now, if time needed to produce one Deluxe stereo is 1 unit than time needed to produce one Basic stereo would be 7/5 units. Total time for Basic would be 10*1=10 and total time for Deluxe would be 5*7/5=7 --> total time for both of them would be 10+7=17 --> deluxe/total=7/17.

Answer: A.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago,Tuck,Oxford,cambridge
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 7

Re: Stereo problem [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 11:29
Bunuel wrote:
udaymathapati wrote:
Company S produces two kinds of stereos: basic and deluxe. Of the stereos produced by Company S last month, 32 were basic and the rest were deluxe. If it takes 57 as many hours to produce a deluxe stereo as it does to produce a basic stereo, then the number of hours it took to produce the deluxe stereos last month was what fraction of the total number of hours it took to produce all the stereos?
A. 7/17
B. 14/31
C. 7/15
D. 17/35
E. 1/2

udaymathapati please do check the questions when posting. Correct question is as follows:

A. 7/17
B. 14/31
C. 7/15
D. 17/35
E. 1/2

# of basic stereos was 2/3 of total and # of deluxe stereos was 1/3 of total, let's assume total=15, then Basic=10 and Deluxe=5.

Now, if time needed to produce one Deluxe stereo is 1 unit than time needed to produce one Basic stereo would be 7/5 units. Total time for Basic would be 10*1=10 and total time for Deluxe would be 5*7/5=7 --> total time for both of them would be 10+7=17 --> deluxe/total=7/17.

Answer: A.

OHHHHHHHHHH Goshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Thanx a lot bunuel u were a savior..I would have spent my whole night solving this question i tried every possible way to find out solution...trust me the only last thing i was trying to find out how can i make this question correct from the answer choices.. :((

where did u find this question BTW?
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Stereo problem [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 12:05
wow thanks! i tried to answer before but i couldnt because of unknowns. Bunnel beat me to it yet again :(

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: Stereo problem [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 14:45
Or if you prefer variables:

Let B be # of basic units and D be # of deluxe units and T(B) and T(D) be the respective production time.

B = 2D => D = B/2
T(D) = 7/5 x T(B)

D x T(D)/[(B x T(B) + D x T(D)]
= (B/2 x 7/5 x T(B))/[(B x T(B)) + B/2 x 7/5 x T(B))
= B x T(B) x (7/10)/[B x T(B) x (7/10 + 1)]
= 7/17
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1029

Kudos [?]: 4480 [3] , given: 162

Re: please help (company problem) [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 07:44
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
SoniaSaini wrote:
A. 7/17
B. 14/31
C. 7/15
D. 17/35
E. 1/2

I'm not getting how to solve it?
Please help.
Thanks a lot in advance.

The easiest way would be to assume values:
2/3 were basic, 1/3 were deluxe.
So assume 2 basic and 1 deluxe were produced.
If 5 hrs are needed to make a basic one, 7 hrs are needed to make a deluxe stereo.
Total hrs needed = 2 x 5 + 1 x 7 = 17 out of which 7 were used for deluxe stereo.
So 7/17 is the fraction of time spent in making the deluxe stereo.

Since everything is in fraction terms, i.e. one related to the other, it is pretty easy to assume values and solve. Same should be done when everything is in percentage terms.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Stereo problem [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 08:16
Thanks a lot for replying.

Bunuel,
appreciate your help.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: SPG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 249 [1] , given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Stereo problem [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2011, 05:41
This post received
KUDOS
we have the following ratios:
basic (b) : deluxe (d)
2 units : 1 unit
5 hrs : 7 hrs

total time taken to produce basic units = 2*5= 10hrs
total time taken to produce deluxe units = 1*7= 7hrs
total time taken = 10+7= 17hrs

so, 7/17

HTH

press kudos, if you like the explanation, appreciate the effort or encourage people to respond.

Download the Ultimate SC Flashcards

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Stereo problem [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 05:37
Hai Karishma,

I have a trouble in calculating the time to produce one deluxe stereo. How did you get value 7. I try to calculate in the following manner. (5+5*7/5) . I know it is wrong. Please explain. where i went wrong
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1029

Kudos [?]: 4480 [0], given: 162

Re: Stereo problem [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 20:19
Expert's post
TomB wrote:
Hai Karishma,

I have a trouble in calculating the time to produce one deluxe stereo. How did you get value 7. I try to calculate in the following manner. (5+5*7/5) . I know it is wrong. Please explain. where i went wrong

I have assumed values here. Let's look at the question again.

Company S produces two kinds of stereos: basic and deluxe. Of the stereos produced by Company S last month, 2/3 were basic and the rest were deluxe.

Ok so if a total of 3 stereos were produced, 2 were basic (because 2/3 are basic) and 1 was deluxe

If it takes 7/5 as many hours to produce a deluxe stereo as it does to produce a basic stereo,

It takes 7/5 as many hours.. So if it takes 5 hrs to produce a basic one, a deluxe one takes 7/5 * 5 = 7 hrs. The question says 7/5 as many hours so you just multiply the hours it takes to produce a basic one with 7/5. Think of it this way - if the question said, "it takes twice as many hours as it takes to produce a basic one..." would you just multiply by 2 or would you follow your method?

then the number of hours it took to produce the deluxe stereos last month was what fraction of the total number of hours it took to produce all the stereos?

Hours taken for 2 basic stereos = 2*5
Hours taken for 1 deluxe = 1*7
Total hours = 17
Required fraction = 7/17

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Stereo problem [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 11:58
Thanks a lot for your explanation
Director
Director
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 42

GMAT Tests User
Re: Stereo problem [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2011, 10:29
B/D = 2/1

lets say time required to produce 1 Basic stereo = 5 hours
=> time required to produced 1 deluxe stereo = 7 hours

total time required to produce B basic stereo's = 5B hours

total time required to produce D deluxe stereo's = 7D hours

ratio of total time required to produce all deluxe stereo's to total time for all stereo's = 7D/(5B+7D) = 7/((5B/D)+7)

=7/17

Answer is A.
Manager
Manager
WE: Design (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Stereo problem [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2011, 10:58
assuming total stereo's manufactured=210(7*5*3*2)
deluxe stereo's= 70 and basic=140
7hrs/deluxe stereo and 5 per basic gives 490 hrs to manufacture deluxe and 700 hrs for basic stereo's
therefore 490/(490+700)=7/17
Answer is A

Kaustubh

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Insead '13 (M)
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 682 [0], given: 48

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Stereo problem [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2011, 09:51
let total stereos = 15

basic:deluxe = 10:5

time taken by deluxe = 7/5*5 = 7 hrs
time taken by basic = 1*10 = 10 hrs

ANS ............ 7/17

press +1 Kudos to appreciate posts
Download Valuable Collection of Percentage Questions (PS/DS)

Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3243

Kudos [?]: 22392 [0], given: 2616

Re: Company S produces two kinds of stereos: basic and deluxe. [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2013, 03:04
Expert's post
Bumping for review and further discussion*. Get a kudos point for an alternative solution!

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

All DS Fractions/Ratios/Decimals questions: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=36
All PS Fractions/Ratios/Decimals questions: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=57

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 151 [1] , given: 9

Re: Company S produces two kinds of stereos: basic and deluxe. [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2013, 07:19
This post received
KUDOS
1.Since the denominator in the fraction representing the number of units is 3 , assume a multiple of 3 as the number of units. Let us say 3 units were produced. So 1 was delux and 2 were basic
2. Since the denominator in the fraction representing the time taken to produce a unit is 5, assume a multiple of 5 as the time taken to produce a unit. Let it be 5. So if it takes 5 units of time to produce a basic set, it takes 7/5 * 5 units of time to produce a deluxe set. That is 7 units of time.
3. From (1) and (2) total time spent on basic and deluxe are 2*5 and 1*7 resp which are 10 and 7 units resp
4. Total time spent on both the basic and deluxe sets is 10+ 7 = 17
5. The fraction of time spent on deluxe = 7/17

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep
http://www.sravna.com/courses.php

Classroom Courses in Chennai
Online and Correspondence Courses

Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Other)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 602

Re: Company S produces two kinds of stereos: basic and deluxe. [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2013, 10:53
udaymathapati wrote:

A. 7/17
B. 14/31
C. 7/15
D. 17/35
E. 1/2

In the above Questions, we have fractions 2/3, 7/5 and 1/3. We can assume some values and try solving the questions.
Since in fraction we have 3 and 5, LCM is 15, Let us assume total production to be multiple of 15 ( say 90)
As per question stem, Total production for 90 stereos will be as follows
Basic : 60
Deluxe: 30

Let us take time taken to produce 1 Basic stereo to be 5 hours
For deluxe stereo, it will be 7/5*7= 7 hours

Total time take to produce deluxe stereo as percentage of total production can now be calculated as follows

(30*7)/ (30*7+ 60*5) -----> 210/510 ----> 21/51 i.e 7/17

Ans should be A

“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”

Re: Company S produces two kinds of stereos: basic and deluxe.   [#permalink] 25 Jun 2013, 10:53