Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:53 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4922 [78]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [38]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618603 [24]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy,IT management
 Q0  V0 GMAT 2: 0  Q0  V0 GMAT 3: 0  Q0  V0
Send PM
Company S produces two kinds of stereos: basic and deluxe. [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
udaymathapati wrote:
Company S produces two kinds of stereos: basic and deluxe. Of the stereos produced by Company S last month, 32 were basic and the rest were deluxe. If it takes 57 as many hours to produce a deluxe stereo as it does to produce a basic stereo, then the number of hours it took to produce the deluxe stereos last month was what fraction of the total number of hours it took to produce all the stereos?
A. 7/17
B. 14/31
C. 7/15
D. 17/35
E. 1/2

udaymathapati please do check the questions when posting. Correct question is as follows:

Company S produces two kinds of stereos: basic and deluxe. Of the stereos produced by Company S last month, 2/3 were basic and the rest were deluxe. If it takes 7/5 as many hours to produce a deluxe stereo as it does to produce a basic stereo, then the number of hours it took to produce the deluxe stereos last month was what fraction of the total number of hours it took to produce all the stereos?

A. 7/17
B. 14/31
C. 7/15
D. 17/35
E. 1/2

# of basic stereos was 2/3 of total and # of deluxe stereos was 1/3 of total, let's assume total = 15, then Basic = 10 and Deluxe = 5.

Now, if time needed to produce one Basic stereo is 1 unit than time needed to produce one Deluxe stereo would be 7/5 units. Total time for Basic would be 10*1 = 10 and total time for Deluxe would be 5*7/5 = 7 --> total time for both of them would be 10 + 7 = 17 --> deluxe/total = 7/17.

Answer: A.

OHHHHHHHHHH Goshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Thanx a lot bunuel u were a savior..I would have spent my whole night solving this question i tried every possible way to find out solution...trust me the only last thing i was trying to find out how can i make this question correct from the answer choices.. :((

where did u find this question BTW?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: SPG
Own Kudos [?]: 3135 [8]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Re: Stereo problem [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
we have the following ratios:
basic (b) : deluxe (d)
2 units : 1 unit
5 hrs : 7 hrs

total time taken to produce basic units = 2*5= 10hrs
total time taken to produce deluxe units = 1*7= 7hrs
total time taken = 10+7= 17hrs

so, 7/17

HTH
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2722 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hai Karishma,

I have a trouble in calculating the time to produce one deluxe stereo. How did you get value 7. I try to calculate in the following manner. (5+5*7/5) . I know it is wrong. Please explain. where i went wrong
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
TomB wrote:
Hai Karishma,

I have a trouble in calculating the time to produce one deluxe stereo. How did you get value 7. I try to calculate in the following manner. (5+5*7/5) . I know it is wrong. Please explain. where i went wrong

I have assumed values here. Let's look at the question again.

Company S produces two kinds of stereos: basic and deluxe. Of the stereos produced by Company S last month, 2/3 were basic and the rest were deluxe.

Ok so if a total of 3 stereos were produced, 2 were basic (because 2/3 are basic) and 1 was deluxe

If it takes 7/5 as many hours to produce a deluxe stereo as it does to produce a basic stereo,

It takes 7/5 as many hours.. So if it takes 5 hrs to produce a basic one, a deluxe one takes 7/5 * 5 = 7 hrs. The question says 7/5 as many hours so you just multiply the hours it takes to produce a basic one with 7/5. Think of it this way - if the question said, "it takes twice as many hours as it takes to produce a basic one..." would you just multiply by 2 or would you follow your method?

then the number of hours it took to produce the deluxe stereos last month was what fraction of the total number of hours it took to produce all the stereos?

Hours taken for 2 basic stereos = 2*5
Hours taken for 1 deluxe = 1*7
Total hours = 17
Required fraction = 7/17
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Company S produces two kinds of stereos: basic and deluxe. [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
udaymathapati wrote:
Company S produces two kinds of stereos: basic and deluxe. Of the stereos produced by Company S last month, 32 were basic and the rest were deluxe. If it takes 57 as many hours to produce a deluxe stereo as it does to produce a basic stereo, then the number of hours it took to produce the deluxe stereos last month was what fraction of the total number of hours it took to produce all the stereos?
A. 7/17
B. 14/31
C. 7/15
D. 17/35
E. 1/2

udaymathapati please do check the questions when posting. Correct question is as follows:

Company S produces two kinds of stereos: basic and deluxe. Of the stereos produced by Company S last month, 2/3 were basic and the rest were deluxe. If it takes 7/5 as many hours to produce a deluxe stereo as it does to produce a basic stereo, then the number of hours it took to produce the deluxe stereos last month was what fraction of the total number of hours it took to produce all the stereos?

A. 7/17
B. 14/31
C. 7/15
D. 17/35
E. 1/2

# of basic stereos was 2/3 of total and # of deluxe stereos was 1/3 of total, let's assume total=15, then Basic=10 and Deluxe=5.

# of basic stereos was 2/3 of total and # of deluxe stereos was 1/3 of total, let's assume total = 15, then Basic = 10 and Deluxe = 5.

Now, if time needed to produce one Basic stereo is 1 unit than time needed to produce one Deluxe stereo would be 7/5 units. Total time for Basic would be 10*1 = 10 and total time for Deluxe would be 5*7/5 = 7 --> total time for both of them would be 10 + 7 = 17 --> deluxe/total = 7/17.

Answer: A.

Hi Bunuel :)

one question:

what does "takes 7/5 as many hours " mean

like it takes 1.4 hours to produce basic units and same time 1.4 takes to produce deluxe units ?

if yes, than why multiplying 1 by 10 to find time :? to find time we need to divide work by rate no ? :?

Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618603 [1]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Re: Company S produces two kinds of stereos: basic and deluxe. [#permalink]