Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:16 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618814 [1]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [1]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [1]
Given Kudos: 105
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 212
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Re: Company Spokesperson: Charges that our corporation has discriminated a [#permalink]
Kudos
I strongly feel that D is as relevant as B because the stem statements talks about “hiring and promotion practices”.

D talk about the % of women over time.
If there is an increase /decrease in the amount of women of time, this may shed a lot of light in how hiring practices of changes over time.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [4]
Send PM
Re: Company Spokesperson: Charges that our corporation has discriminated a [#permalink]
Kudos
TheMBmonster wrote:
I strongly feel that D is as relevant as B because the stem statements talks about “hiring and promotion practices”.

If there is an increase /decrease in the amount of women of time, this may shed a lot of light in how hiring practices of changes over time.

Your reasoning is correct. D is a runner up answer. But just see what the last line of question stem says, Spokesperson itself is saying that over 60% employed are women, It means he is already giving clarification to the argument raised, what he is not giving is explanation for the promotion.
There are 2 points spokesperson need to tell. One is hiring which is already told by him, 2nd reasoning we need to find, Of promotion .

Hope i am able to clear your doubt.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Help With A Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
TheMBmonster wrote:

I dont think percentage will help to evaluate, because we dont know the number of total and women employee hired on the last years. The percentage dosent has to change even if the number of women had changed with respect to increase in the total number of employees. Hence we cant count on D.

while B dosent consider the percentage change like D and it refers to the percentage of women to get the promotion to high level.

So it looks like B sounds better.
Please correct me if there are any flaws i have missed in B. :thumbup:

Thanks.
Manick
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32888 [2]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

What makes this question difficult is that some of the incorrect answer choices are somewhat relevant to the argument, but their relevance is neither as clear nor as direct as choice (B).

Let’s start with the correct answer. Although a large percentage of the company’s employees are women, it is entirely possible that these women generally occupy low-level positions while male employees generally hold higher-level jobs. One possible explanation for such a discrepancy would be that, when deciding whom to promote, the company discriminates against women. Hence, the answer to the question in choice (B) is highly relevant to evaluating the spokesperson’s denial that the company engages in this type of discrimination.

The issue raised in choice (A) would be relevant to whether the company’s employee-termination practices are discriminatory, especially if the average tenure for women turned out to be significantly briefer than for men. However, the issue of tenure is not directly relevant to the company’s hiring or promotion practices.

Nor is the issue raised in choice (C) directly relevant to the argument. For example, assume that the percentage of the company’s employees that are women is typical among firms in its industry. So what? Perhaps all of the firms discriminate against women or perhaps none does.

As for choice (D), the company’s practices in the past are not directly relevant to its current practices.

Choice (E) focuses on only one high-level employee, hardly a sufficient statistical sampling to prove a pattern of discrimination. Also, even with a female CEO, a company could very well engage in hiring and promotion practices that are unfair to women.

The correct answer is (B).

Hope it helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
Send PM
Hi SajjadAhmad
Can you give more detail about option D. For me it seems that if company hired women in bunch in past few days/Months after issue surfaced, then its important to see the overall trend of women employees number.

In option B though, even if true and out of remaining 40% employee are men and are at higher positions, it only covers one point of allegation about promotion and not total employee ratio.

In D infact with the past trends we can know holistic picture.

Thanks for all the help

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Schools: IIM
Send PM
IMO,D is not relevant. Percentage of women employees may vary as total number of employees increases or decreases.
Let say,In year 2000 total number of employees are 100 which includes 70 women(more than 60%) and 30 men
In year 2005, total employees 90 ,women 65 and 25 men or total employees 80,women 70 men 10
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
Send PM
I think none is a good answer.
For B, it only addresses (promotion), but does not mention (hire).
For D, it only addresses (hire), but does not mention (promotion). And I do not agree with OE, I think D is NOT irrelevant. Eg:last year, maybe 80% employees are women, and this year only 60% employees are women. This shows company only hires men this year, so discriminates against women in hiring.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 277
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35 (Online)
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
I get that why option B is correct.
But IMO option C also makes some sense to me.
If the percentage of women employees in competing companies is higher than this company (coz that could be the industry standard), let's say 90%, then it would mean that this company has discriminated against women.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts