Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 06:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Company Spokesperson: This year, more than 70% of the guests

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 367

Kudos [?]: 1851 [0], given: 359

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Company Spokesperson: This year, more than 70% of the guests [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 01:14
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Company Spokesperson: This year, more than 70% of the guests who stayed with us over the past summer are planning to return to our resorts for a summer vacation. Therefore, I believe that we are well-positioned for another strong and profitable quarter.

Industry Analyst: This is not necessarily true. Nearly three quarters of the company’s profits come from the attendance of its theme parks located at its major resorts, and it is not certain how this segment will perform this summer.

Which of the following statements, if true, would support the criticism of the Industry Analyst?
A) The company’s management possesses more accurate financial information than is accessible to industry analysts.
B) The industry analyst represents an independent investment firm, which is not affiliated with the company.
C) The company’s revenues and profits have more than doubled over the past 3 years.
D) Because of the seasonality in the vacation travel and theme park attendance, summer is the most important season for the firm’s operations, accounting for over half of the firm's annual profits.
E) The vast majority of guests who visit the company’s resorts attend its theme parks only once, usually during their first week of stay.

My question is how it is close to real GMAT

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 322 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: CR - Theme Parks [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 01:57
walker wrote:
Company Spokesperson: This year, more than 70% of the guests who stayed with us over the past summer are planning to return to our resorts for a summer vacation. Therefore, I believe that we are well-positioned for another strong and profitable quarter.

Industry Analyst: This is not necessarily true. Nearly three quarters of the company’s profits come from the attendance of its theme parks located at its major resorts, and it is not certain how this segment will perform this summer.

Which of the following statements, if true, would support the criticism of the Industry Analyst?
A) The company’s management possesses more accurate financial information than is accessible to industry analysts.
B) The industry analyst represents an independent investment firm, which is not affiliated with the company.
C) The company’s revenues and profits have more than doubled over the past 3 years.
D) Because of the seasonality in the vacation travel and theme park attendance, summer is the most important season for the firm’s operations, accounting for over half of the firm's annual profits.
E) The vast majority of guests who visit the company’s resorts attend its theme parks only once, usually during their first week of stay.

Is this from the real on 28/5/2008?
:lol: E for me!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Schools: Oxford'10
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 8

Re: CR - Theme Parks [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 03:10
ouch,,this is tricky

A,B clearly wrong.
C doesn't seem to make a difference, its out of scope

D days that summer > 0.5 profits.
but if only 70% of people attend the park again (due to variation), this has an effect on a large chunk of profit. So the analyst's statement "..not necessarily true" is supported.

E is saying that people visit themeparks only once. So? This could be enough to generate lots of profit in one visit.

my ans: D

but very tough Q i must say (took me over 3 mins)
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: IESE
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: CR - Theme Parks [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 03:58
This post received
KUDOS

E for me. 70% already visited park during their first vacations. so from E we know that they probably wont attend park even if it's open.
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford'10

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 8

Re: CR - Theme Parks [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 05:13
Snayt wrote:

E for me. 70% already visited park during their first vacations. so from E we know that they probably wont attend park even if it's open.

E is looking a whole lot better now.. +1
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 2

Re: CR - Theme Parks [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 05:36
i think D is the best answer..its D because it says if the summer is short then people may not likely to go to theme parks..thus the revenue maybe at risk..
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Theme Parks [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 06:08
walker wrote:

I am jumping on the E train. I don't think D really supports the criticism.
Expert Post
CEO
CEO

Re: CR - Theme Parks [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 07:13
Expert's post
OA is E

OE:
The company management anticipates strong financial results merely based on the evidence that many of the previous year’s guests are planning to return this summer. The industry analyst disagrees with this projection, claiming that the firm’s profits are largely driven by the attendance of the theme parks and their performance is uncertain. To strengthen the position of the industry analyst, we need to demonstrate that a high rate of returning customers is not necessarily sufficient to yield strong financial results for the company’s theme parks, which account for the vast majority of the firm’s profits.

(A) If the management possesses more accurate financial information, this evidence would weaken rather than strengthen the claim of the industry analyst.

(B) The issue of analyst affiliation is outside the scope of the argument. While the independence of the analyst suggests an unbiased projection, it does not necessarily lead to a more accurate projection. For example, an analyst who is connected to the company may be privy to inside information resulting in a more accurate forecast than one from an independent analyst.

(C) Since both the management and the industry analyst are concerned with the discussion of future rather than historical performance, this statement is outside the scope of the argument. If anything, a strong past record would undermine rather than support the analyst’s claim.

(D) This answer choice demonstrates the importance of summer business for the firm’s operations but provides no information regarding the future outlook, thus neither strengthening nor weakening the argument of the industry analyst.

(E) CORRECT. This answer supports the claim of the industry analyst by demonstrating that the company is unlikely to generate substantial profits from the high number of returning guests. If the vacationers visiting the company’s resorts attend its theme parks only once, the high number of returning customers is unlikely to benefit the firm’s theme parks, which account for the vast majority of the company’s profits.

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Theme Parks [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 07:52
walker wrote:
OA is E

OE:
The company management anticipates strong financial results merely based on the evidence that many of the previous year’s guests are planning to return this summer. The industry analyst disagrees with this projection, claiming that the firm’s profits are largely driven by the attendance of the theme parks and their performance is uncertain. To strengthen the position of the industry analyst, we need to demonstrate that a high rate of returning customers is not necessarily sufficient to yield strong financial results for the company’s theme parks, which account for the vast majority of the firm’s profits.

(A) If the management possesses more accurate financial information, this evidence would weaken rather than strengthen the claim of the industry analyst.

(B) The issue of analyst affiliation is outside the scope of the argument. While the independence of the analyst suggests an unbiased projection, it does not necessarily lead to a more accurate projection. For example, an analyst who is connected to the company may be privy to inside information resulting in a more accurate forecast than one from an independent analyst.

(C) Since both the management and the industry analyst are concerned with the discussion of future rather than historical performance, this statement is outside the scope of the argument. If anything, a strong past record would undermine rather than support the analyst’s claim.

(D) This answer choice demonstrates the importance of summer business for the firm’s operations but provides no information regarding the future outlook, thus neither strengthening nor weakening the argument of the industry analyst.

(E) CORRECT. This answer supports the claim of the industry analyst by demonstrating that the company is unlikely to generate substantial profits from the high number of returning guests. If the vacationers visiting the company’s resorts attend its theme parks only once, the high number of returning customers is unlikely to benefit the firm’s theme parks, which account for the vast majority of the company’s profits.

Good questions. i got it wrong though

may i know the source . thanks

The world is continuous, but the mind is discrete

Expert Post
CEO
CEO

Re: CR - Theme Parks [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 08:14
Expert's post
Manhattan GMAT test #2

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Theme Parks [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 09:02
Walker - I guess you did not get the answer you were hoping to get out of this post - representative of GMAT or not?

I went with D, since it explains the importance of summer season for the business. But, this time the more obvious one, that is E, ending up being the correct one.

At this point, I'm curious as to how close these get questions get to the GMAT CR's.

Later!
Re: CR - Theme Parks   [#permalink] 04 Jun 2008, 09:02