Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:44 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2544 [19]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618803 [0]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Princeton Review Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 939 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Company X conducted a taste test to determine whether its new soft dri [#permalink]
Kudos
This argument uses the reasoning pattern that because people say they prefer something then that product will be successful. It assumes that preferring the product will lead directly to purchasing the product. To weaken this type of argument, find a reason why people would not purchase the product, even if they prefer it over similar products.

Of the available answer choices, only C provides a different criteria (price) by which consumers could judge the product than thus decide not to purchase it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Re: Company X conducted a taste test to determine whether its new soft dri [#permalink]
Kudos
GetThisDone wrote:
Company X conducted a taste test to determine whether its new soft drink had a good chance
of commercial success. A sample of consumers was asked to compare the flavor of the new
soft drink to that of an established brand without knowing the true identity of either
beverage. Overwhelmingly, the consumers preferred the taste of the proposed soft drink to
that of the established brand. Clearly, Company X has a good chance of commercial success
with its new soft drink. Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the
argument above?
A) Some of the consumers in the taste test preferred the flavor of the established brand.
b) The other soft drink used in the taste test is also manufactured by Company X.
c) The new soft drink will cost more than three times as much as any other soft drink on the
market.
d) Company X has not yet designed a label for the new soft drink.
e) The name of the new soft drink is very close to that of the established brand.

Main CR Qs link - Main link - cr-qs-600-700-level-131508.html

Although I understand C, I question why not B:
The conclusion is that the company will have success with the new drink.
What if the company is already successful with the old drink, and hence, with the new drink, the old one's sales drop whilst the new one's rise? Then the company will be even.
Hence there will be no actual change in the company's success.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [2]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Company X conducted a taste test to determine whether its new soft dri [#permalink]
Kudos
Skag55 wrote:
GetThisDone wrote:
Company X conducted a taste test to determine whether its new soft drink had a good chance of commercial success. A sample of consumers was asked to compare the flavor of the new soft drink to that of an established brand without knowing the true identity of either beverage. Overwhelmingly, the consumers preferred the taste of the proposed soft drink to that of the established brand. Clearly, Company X has a good chance of commercial success with its new soft drink.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the argument above?
A) Some of the consumers in the taste test preferred the flavor of the established brand.
b) The other soft drink used in the taste test is also manufactured by Company X.
c) The new soft drink will cost more than three times as much as any other soft drink on the market.
e) The name of the new soft drink is very close to that of the established brand.

Main CR Qs link - Main link - https://gmatclub.com/forum/cr-qs-600-700 ... 31508.html

What if the company is already successful with the old drink, and hence, with the new drink, the old one's sales drop whilst the new one's rise? Then the company will be even.

Though it's too late to answer your query, I think that it can be helpful for someone with the same doubt. :)

The conclusion of the given argument is that Company X has a good chance of commercial success with its new soft drink. It does not discuss about overall profits of the company and is only concerned about the probability of success of its new drink.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 560 Q46 V21
GMAT 2: 620 Q48 V26
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
The reasoning partern and hence the conlusion is drawn on the basis of "Taste Test" . So can some one explain, how something out of scope can weakan the argument.

As some Q? (certainly not remebered, that's why not mentioned) are get cancelled as "weakener" because they described as out of scope.

Really Get confused....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: ISB '20 LBS '21
WE:Accounting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
rinkumaa4 wrote:
The reasoning partern and hence the conlusion is drawn on the basis of "Taste Test" . So can some one explain, how something out of scope can weakan the argument.

As some Q? (certainly not remebered, that's why not mentioned) are get cancelled as "weakener" because they described as out of scope.

Really Get confused....

Hey,it's absolutely okay to have doubts. I'll try to help you out with this.

Let's take an example. If I say that Mercedes Benz have good safety features and hence is the best car in the market.

If I have to weaken this conclusion,then I can do it by two ways:
1) to prove that MB's safety features are not effective. Let's say maximum casualties.

2) provide additional info that can surpass our conclusion. For example: Jaguar attained 5star rating in collision tests however MB have 4star rating.

Basically,second info is an outside information but is definitely not out of scope.

If u find this helpful then don't forget to press the kudos button :)

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 696 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
Skywalker18 wrote:
Skag55 wrote:
GetThisDone wrote:
Company X conducted a taste test to determine whether its new soft drink had a good chance of commercial success. A sample of consumers was asked to compare the flavor of the new soft drink to that of an established brand without knowing the true identity of either beverage. Overwhelmingly, the consumers preferred the taste of the proposed soft drink to that of the established brand. Clearly, Company X has a good chance of commercial success with its new soft drink.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the argument above?
c) The new soft drink will cost more than three times as much as any other soft drink on the market.

Main CR Qs link - Main link - https://gmatclub.com/forum/cr-qs-600-700 ... 31508.html

Though it's too late to answer your query, I think that it can be helpful for someone with the same doubt. :)

The conclusion of the given argument is that Company X has a good chance of commercial success with its new soft drink. It does not discuss about overall profits of the company and is only concerned about the probability of success of its new drink.

Skywalker18 here in option C we are forcefully considering that the price of product have direct correlation with the sales of the product. I guess the assumption is flawed.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
LoneSurvivor wrote:
Skywalker18 wrote:

Skywalker18 here in option C we are forcefully considering that the price of product have direct correlation with the sales of the product. I guess the assumption is flawed.

LoneSurvivor,
Knowing that it is three times as expensive is a pretty strong reason why the drink may fail to sell very much although people like its' taste.
None of the other options are better than this one.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hey i chose E in this assuming that the sample could have got confused with the name since both are very similar and ended up picking the new one when they wanted to pick the old one. Where am i going wrong ? why cant that be a possible scenario
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [1]
Given Kudos: 317
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Company X conducted a taste test to determine whether its new soft dri [#permalink]