Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 21:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Company X provides bottled water to its employees in 5 liter

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 87 [2] , given: 67

Company X provides bottled water to its employees in 5 liter [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2012, 04:25
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

44% (02:35) correct 56% (01:31) wrong based on 9 sessions
Company X provides bottled water to its employees in 5 liter bottles, $2 each. At least how many 5L bottles must Company X buy monthly, so that new contract with $50 fixed monthly rate and $1 for 20L bottle each paid off? (Assume that no other costs apply)

(A) 28
(B) 29
(C) 30
(D) 31
(E) 32

Source: From my business.
(So I can't really decide over difficulty level here, maybe you would do it better after solving the problem.)
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

If I answered your question with this post, use the motivating power of kudos!

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 29

Re: Company X provides bottled water to its employees in 5 liter [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2012, 20:39
This post received
KUDOS
Company X provides bottled water to its employees in 5 liter bottles, $2 each. At least how many 5L bottles must Company X buy monthly, so that new contract with $50 fixed monthly rate and $1 for 20L bottle each paid off? (Assume that no other costs apply)

Number of 5L bottles = n
Correspondingly, to equate volume, number of 20L bottles = n/4
Now equating cost to solve:

2n = 50 + n/4
=> 8n = 200 + n
=> 7n = 200
=> n = 28.57

So 29 bottles, since a fraction of a bottle is no use and 28 bottles is going to result in a loss.

It is great you came up with an original problem (and that too based on your business), but I'd like to slightly rephrase in this question if I could: "...must Company X buy acquire monthly..."

You've mentioned no additional costs apply other than the ones you've mentioned, but the solution still has to assume the 5L bottles will be bought at $0 cost, which might throw some folks off. :)

Still, kudos for creating your own question. I'd agree with you that this is a 600-700 level question. Now if you introduced red and blue bottles and rate of pouring, it'd become a 700+ problem. :lol:

The only ability the GMAT is an indicator of...is the ability to do well on the GMAT.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: Company X provides bottled water to its employees in 5 liter [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 00:37
Ans:

let the no. of 5 liter bottles be x, so the no. of 20l bottles will be x/4 (to equate the vol.) since the total cost will be equal , 2x= 50+x/4 so x= 28.5 or 29. Answer is (B).

www.mnemoniceducation.com

TURN ON YOUR MINDS!!!

Re: Company X provides bottled water to its employees in 5 liter   [#permalink] 18 Dec 2012, 00:37