Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:22 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 453 [194]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: International Business, Finance
GMAT 1: 590 Q32 V30
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4594 [35]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [30]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [25]
Send PM
Re: Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate inequities in pay [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
RC is a matter of process and practice. Your first read needs to be "complete". By complete I don't mean that you understand every bit of the passage and have all parts perfectly stored in your short term memory. You should have a really good sense of the main point of the passage and the sub-points as well. You should have a good feel of the location of key elements of the passage. In short, after your first read you should be able to answer general questions about the passage (main point, author would agree with, etc.) without having to look back at the passage and you should know where to go back to re-read (in more depth) the passage to answer specific detail and inference questions. This first read should be 3-5 minutes. You have to focus on structure, not details, to hit this time.

Practice RC passages consistently as you go through the other GMAT areas.

KW
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [6]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Re: Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate inequities in pay [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
ronr34 wrote:
shagalo wrote:
43. Which of the following most accurately states the
central purpose of the passage?
(A) To criticize the implementation of a new procedure
(B) To assess the significance of a change in policy
(C) To illustrate how a new standard alters procedures
(D) To explain how a new policy is applied in specific
cases
(E) To summarize the changes made to date as a
result of social policy

Could any one explain why B is the answer ??? where I can find in the passage the "change in policy" that choice B is talking about ?

I agree....
Couldn't find the answer to this question either.

In the middle of the 2nd paragraph, onto the first sentence of the 3rd:
However, the question still remains: have the gains already made in pay equity under comparable worth principles been of a precedent-setting nature or are they mostly transitory, a function of concessions made by employers to misled female employees into believing that they have made long-term pay equity gains?

Comparable worth pay adjustments are indeed precedent-setting.

Precedent-setting = Never done before ---> Implies that a certain kind of change has occurred.
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
junkostem wrote:
ronr34 wrote:
shagalo wrote:
43. Which of the following most accurately states the
central purpose of the passage?
(A) To criticize the implementation of a new procedure
(B) To assess the significance of a change in policy
(C) To illustrate how a new standard alters procedures
(D) To explain how a new policy is applied in specific
cases
(E) To summarize the changes made to date as a
result of social policy

Could any one explain why B is the answer ??? where I can find in the passage the "change in policy" that choice B is talking about ?

I agree....
Couldn't find the answer to this question either.

In the middle of the 2nd paragraph, onto the first sentence of the 3rd:
However, the question still remains: have the gains already made in pay equity under comparable worth principles been of a precedent-setting nature or are they mostly transitory, a function of concessions made by employers to misled female employees into believing that they have made long-term pay equity gains?

Comparable worth pay adjustments are indeed precedent-setting.

Precedent-setting = Never done before ---> Implies that a certain kind of change has occurred.

You can also see in the first paragraph this section: "In the last decade, this approach has become a critical social policy issue, as large numbers of private-sector firms and industries as well as federal, state, and local governmental entities have adopted comparable worth policies or begun to consider doing so".

Comparable Worth is a new policy because it states that entities have adopted the comparable worth policies over the last decade. The adoption of these policies would represent a change in policy (from a different policy or no policy at all)...

KW
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3155 [1]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
KyleWiddison wrote:

You can also see in the first paragraph this section: "In the last decade, this approach has become a critical social policy issue, as large numbers of private-sector firms and industries as well as federal, state, and local governmental entities have adopted comparable worth policies or begun to consider doing so".

Comparable Worth is a new policy because it states that entities have adopted the comparable worth policies over the last decade. The adoption of these policies would represent a change in policy (from a different policy or no policy at all)...

KW

Then if you suggest that CW has been adopted as a new policy in the LAST DECADE, then how the below answer choice can be eliminated?

To explain how a new policy is applied in specific
cases

New policy=CW
Specific cases= Cases of comparing dissimilar jobs

Please advise !
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3155 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
himanshujovi wrote:
Hello

not clear on the last question. Why not option E ?

Hi,

We need an option which can compare two dissimilar jobs in types but similar in skill set used.But both the professions have different salaries that is where comparable worth is useful as a policy

Coming to options:

(D) The skills, training, and job responsibilities of the clerks in the township tax assessor's office are compared to those of the much better-paid township engineers.
Clerks are compared in skill set with engineers, but the engineers are paid more.=>PERFECT
(E) The working conditions of female workers in a hazardous-materials environment are reviewed and their pay schedules compared to those of all workers in similar environments across the nation.
Working conditions and pay schedules of workers in similar environment across nation, we aren't using Comparable worth here.

Comparable worth is applied to dissimilar jobs using similar skill set.

Hope that helps
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3155 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
supratik wrote:
Demoralized.
Got them all wrong :(

Identify what strategy is good for you, then attempt the RC.

Don't blindly start reading the passage.

You should have well versed strategy before attempting the RC.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 399 [2]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: CBS '17
GPA: 4
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos

1. Which of the following most accurately states the central purpose of the passage?
A. To criticize the implementation of a new procedure
B. To assess the significance of a change in policy
C. To illustrate how a new standard alters procedures
D. To explain how a new policy is applied in specific cases
E. To summarize the changes made to date as a result of social policy

Ans - B

2. According to the passage, which of the following is true of comparable worth as a policy?
A. Comparable worth policy decisions in pay-inequity cases have often failed to satisfy the complainants.
B. Comparable worth policies have been applied to both public-sector and private-sector employee pay schedules.
C. Comparable worth as a policy has come to be widely criticized in the past decade.
D. Many employers have considered comparable worth as a policy but very few have actually adopted it.
E. Early implementations of comparable worth policies resulted in only transitory gains in pay equity.
Ans - B

3. Which of the following best describes an application of the principles of comparable worth as they are described in the passage?
A. The current pay, rates of increase, and rates of promotion for female mechanics are compared with those of male mechanics.
B. The training, skills, and job experience of computer programmers in one division of a corporation are compared to those of programmers making more money in another division.
C. The number of women holding top executive positions in a corporation is compared to the number of women available for promotion to those positions, and both tallies are matched to the tallies for men in the same corporation.
D. The skills, training, and job responsibilities of the clerks in the township tax assessor's office are compared to those of the much better-paid township engineers.
E. The working conditions of female workers in a hazardous-materials environment are reviewed and their pay schedules compared to those of all workers in similar environments across the nation

Ans - D

4. It can be inferred from the passage that application of “other mandate” (see highlighted text) would be unlikely to result in an outcome satisfactory to the female employees in which of the following situations?

I: males employed as long-distance truck drivers for a furniture company make $3.50 more per hour than do females with comparable job experience employed in the same capacity.

II: women working in the office of a cement company contend that their jobs are as demanding and valuable as those of the men working outside in the cement factory, but the women are paid much less per hour.

III: a law firm employs both male and female paralegals with the same educational and career backgrounds, but the same salary for male paralegals is $5,000 more than female paralegals.
A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II only
E. I and III only

Ans - B

OAs please.

Originally posted by desaichinmay22 on 12 Aug 2014, 07:44.
Last edited by PiyushK on 13 Aug 2014, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.
Added timer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [2]
Given Kudos: 916
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V44
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 4: 740 Q49 V41
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Hey,

I have a problem with question 23. I do understand it and I have answered it correctly, but lost quite some time (about 2 mins) to decide whether (B) is NOT a booby trap. Let me tell you why:

The passage states: "as large numbers of private-sector firms and industries as well as federal, state, and local governmental entities have adopted comparable worth policies or begun to consider doing so.". Answer choice (B) says: "b. Comparable worth policies have been applied to both public-sector and private-sector employee pay schedules". Now, I clearly have a problem with "or have begun to consider doing so" as on other passages I have encountered similar traps that just make you choose something and then twist the context a little bit and define it wrong.

Do you have any tips how to tackle these kinds of situations?

Thanks!
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [5]
Send PM
Kudos