Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 05:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
6 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Mar 2012
Posts: 28
Concentration: International Business, Finance
GMAT 1: 590 Q32 V30
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [6] , given: 28

Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate [#permalink] New post 16 May 2012, 23:25
6
This post received
KUDOS
Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate inequities in pay, insists that the values of certain tasks performed in dissimilar jobs can be compared. In the last decade, this approach has become a critical social policy issue, as large numbers of private-sector firms and industries as well as federal, state, and local governmental entities have adopted comparable worth policies or begun to consider doing so.

This widespread institutional awareness of comparable worth indicates increased public awareness that pay inequities-that is, situations in which pay is not "fair" because it does not reflect the true value of a job-exist in the labor market. However, the question still remains: have the gains already made in pay equity under comparable worth principles been of a precedent-setting nature or are they mostly transitory, a function of concessions made by employers to misled female employees into believing that they have made long-term pay equity gains?

Comparable worth pay adjustments are indeed precedent-setting. Because of the principles driving them, other mandates that can be applied to reduce or eliminate unjustified pay gaps between male and female workers have not remedied perceived pay inequities satisfactorily for the litigants in cases in which men and women hold different jobs. But whenever comparable worth principles are applied to pay schedules, perceived unjustified pay differences are eliminated. In this sense then, comparable worth is more comprehensive than other mandates, such as the Equal Pay Act of 1963 and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Neither compares tasks in dissimilar jobs (that is, jobs across occupational categories) in an effort to determine whether or not what is necessary to perform these tasks-know-how, problem-solving, and accountability-can be quantified in terms of its dollar value to the employer. Comparable worth, on the other hand, takes as its premise that certain tasks in dissimilar jobs may require a similar amount of training, effort, and skill; may carry similar responsibility; may be carried on in an environment having a similar impact upon the worker; and may have a similar dollar value to the employer.
23.) According to the passage, which of the following is true of comparable worth as a policy?
a. Comparable worth policy decisions in pay-inequity cases have often failed to satisfy the complaints
b. Comparable worth policies have been applied to both public-sector and private-sector employee pay schedules
c. Comparable worth as a policy has come to be widely criticized in the past decade.
d. Many employers have considered comparable worth as a policy but very few have actually adopted id.
e. Early implementations of comparable worth policies resulted in only transitory gains in pay equity.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B


Which of the following most accurately states the central purpose of the passage?
(A) To criticize the implementation of a new procedure
(B) To assess the significance of a change in policy
(C) To illustrate how a new standard alters procedures
(D) To explain how a new policy is applied in specific cases
(E) To summarize the changes made to date as a result of social policy
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B


According to the passage, comparable worth principles are different in which of the following ways from other mandates intended to reduce or eliminate pay inequities:
A) Comparable worth principles address changes in the pay schedules of male as well as female workers
B) Comparable worth principles can be applied to employees in both the public and the private sector
C) Comparable worth principles emphasize the training and skill of workers
D) Comparable worth principles require changes in the employer's resource allocation
E) Comparable worth principles can be used to quantify the value of elements of dissimilar jobs
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E


26.Which of the following best describes an application of the principles of comparable worth as they are described in the passage?
(A) The current pay, rates of increase, and rates of promotion for female mechanics are compared with those of male mechanics.
(B) The training, skills, and job experience of computer programmers in one division of a corporation are compared to those of programmers making more money in another division.
(C) The number of women holding top executive positions in a corporation is compared to the number of women available for promotion to those positions, and both tallies are matched to the tallies for men in the same corporation.
(D) The skills, training, and job responsibilities of the clerks in the township tax assessor's office are compared to those of the much better-paid township engineers.
(E) The working conditions of female workers in a hazardous-materials environment are reviewed and their pay schedules compared to those of all workers in similar environments across the nation.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D


_________________

Give kudos if you find my post helpful ;)

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2011
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2012, 10:09
solarzj wrote:
Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate inequities in pay, insists that the values of certain tasks performed in dissimilar jobs can be compared. In the last decade, this approach has become a critical social policy issue, as large numbers of private-sector firms and industries as well as federal, state, and local governmental entities have adopted comparable worth policies or begun to consider doing so.

23.) According to the passage, which of the following is true of comparable worth as a policy?

a. Comparable worth policy decisions in pay-inequity cases have often failed to satisfy the complaints

b. Comparable worth policies have been applied to both public-sector and private-sector employee pay schedules

c. Comparable worth as a policy has come to be widely criticized in the past decade.

d. Many employers have considered comparable worth as a policy but very few have actually adopted id.

e. Early implementations of comparable worth policies resulted in only transitory gains in pay equity.


The bold part clearly says comparable worth is applied in both private and public (federal, state, and local governmental). Rest all are irrelevant
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2011
Posts: 160
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 11

Re: Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 06:41
patanjali wrote:
solarzj wrote:
Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate inequities in pay, insists that the values of certain tasks performed in dissimilar jobs can be compared. In the last decade, this approach has become a critical social policy issue, as large numbers of private-sector firms and industries as well as federal, state, and local governmental entities have adopted comparable worth policies or begun to consider doing so.

23.) According to the passage, which of the following is true of comparable worth as a policy?

a. Comparable worth policy decisions in pay-inequity cases have often failed to satisfy the complaints

b. Comparable worth policies have been applied to both public-sector and private-sector employee pay schedules

c. Comparable worth as a policy has come to be widely criticized in the past decade.

d. Many employers have considered comparable worth as a policy but very few have actually adopted id.

e. Early implementations of comparable worth policies resulted in only transitory gains in pay equity.


The bold part clearly says comparable worth is applied in both private and public (federal, state, and local governmental). Rest all are irrelevant


agree with B but why should we avoid C? the line just above the bold part conveys C.
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 501
Followers: 213

Kudos [?]: 317 [3] , given: 5

Re: Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 22:01
3
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
C states that the policy has been widely "criticized", meaning that people are skeptical of the effectiveness of the policy. The passage states, however, that the policy has become citical social policy issue, meaning the policy has become critically important. This is a classic example of the GMAT shifting the meaning of the word - it looks the same but means something very different.
_________________


Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile



Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2011
Posts: 160
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 11

Re: Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 22:48
KyleWiddison wrote:
C states that the policy has been widely "criticized", meaning that people are skeptical of the effectiveness of the policy. The passage states, however, that the policy has become citical social policy issue, meaning the policy has become critically important. This is a classic example of the GMAT shifting the meaning of the word - it looks the same but means something very different.


thanks kyle, not just words,this is an important insight for me,
+1 for this!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: K... M. G...
Joined: 22 Oct 2012
Posts: 51
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-27-2013
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 118

Re: Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 18:59
KyleWiddison wrote:
C states that the policy has been widely "criticized", meaning that people are skeptical of the effectiveness of the policy. The passage states, however, that the policy has become citical social policy issue, meaning the policy has become critically important. This is a classic example of the GMAT shifting the meaning of the word - it looks the same but means something very different.



Thanks for the explanation, I still have a doubt in comparing the words "critical social policy issue" with "widely criticized in past decade" . Please help me here
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Mar 2013
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2013, 22:08
kashishh wrote:
patanjali wrote:
solarzj wrote:
Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate inequities in pay, insists that the values of certain tasks performed in dissimilar jobs can be compared. In the last decade, this approach has become a critical social policy issue, as large numbers of private-sector firms and industries as well as federal, state, and local governmental entities have adopted comparable worth policies or begun to consider doing so.

23.) According to the passage, which of the following is true of comparable worth as a policy?

a. Comparable worth policy decisions in pay-inequity cases have often failed to satisfy the complaints

b. Comparable worth policies have been applied to both public-sector and private-sector employee pay schedules

c. Comparable worth as a policy has come to be widely criticized in the past decade.

d. Many employers have considered comparable worth as a policy but very few have actually adopted id.

e. Early implementations of comparable worth policies resulted in only transitory gains in pay equity.


The bold part clearly says comparable worth is applied in both private and public (federal, state, and local governmental). Rest all are irrelevant


agree with B but why should we avoid C? the line just above the bold part conveys C.



I have a confusion between b and d . if u read the later part of the sentence, can it make d as an answer.. please explain
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 31 Aug 2011
Posts: 209
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 44

CAT Tests
Re: Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2013, 09:58
hello xahead . We need to find out something according to passage we cannot go beyond what is stated . so D can be eliminated a large no of organisations have either adopted or begun considering . we cannot infer that many have considered and a few have adopted . any such discreet data is not given in passage . so only B remains
_________________

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 1885
Followers: 259

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2014, 15:33
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2013
Posts: 50
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 7

Re: Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2014, 08:26
43. Which of the following most accurately states the
central purpose of the passage?
(A) To criticize the implementation of a new procedure
(B) To assess the significance of a change in policy
(C) To illustrate how a new standard alters procedures
(D) To explain how a new policy is applied in specific
cases
(E) To summarize the changes made to date as a
result of social policy

.....................
Could any one explain why B is the answer ??? where I can find in the passage the "change in policy" that choice B is talking about ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2012
Posts: 389
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 58

CAT Tests
Re: Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2014, 08:06
shagalo wrote:
43. Which of the following most accurately states the
central purpose of the passage?
(A) To criticize the implementation of a new procedure
(B) To assess the significance of a change in policy
(C) To illustrate how a new standard alters procedures
(D) To explain how a new policy is applied in specific
cases
(E) To summarize the changes made to date as a
result of social policy

.....................
Could any one explain why B is the answer ??? where I can find in the passage the "change in policy" that choice B is talking about ?

I agree....
Couldn't find the answer to this question either.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Jul 2013
Posts: 31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 27

CAT Tests
Re: Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2014, 17:18
ronr34 wrote:
shagalo wrote:
43. Which of the following most accurately states the
central purpose of the passage?
(A) To criticize the implementation of a new procedure
(B) To assess the significance of a change in policy
(C) To illustrate how a new standard alters procedures
(D) To explain how a new policy is applied in specific
cases
(E) To summarize the changes made to date as a
result of social policy

.....................
Could any one explain why B is the answer ??? where I can find in the passage the "change in policy" that choice B is talking about ?

I agree....
Couldn't find the answer to this question either.


In the middle of the 2nd paragraph, onto the first sentence of the 3rd:
However, the question still remains: have the gains already made in pay equity under comparable worth principles been of a precedent-setting nature or are they mostly transitory, a function of concessions made by employers to misled female employees into believing that they have made long-term pay equity gains?

Comparable worth pay adjustments are indeed precedent-setting.


Precedent-setting = Never done before ---> Implies that a certain kind of change has occurred.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 501
Followers: 213

Kudos [?]: 317 [1] , given: 5

Re: Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2014, 14:22
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
junkostem wrote:
ronr34 wrote:
shagalo wrote:
43. Which of the following most accurately states the
central purpose of the passage?
(A) To criticize the implementation of a new procedure
(B) To assess the significance of a change in policy
(C) To illustrate how a new standard alters procedures
(D) To explain how a new policy is applied in specific
cases
(E) To summarize the changes made to date as a
result of social policy

.....................
Could any one explain why B is the answer ??? where I can find in the passage the "change in policy" that choice B is talking about ?

I agree....
Couldn't find the answer to this question either.


In the middle of the 2nd paragraph, onto the first sentence of the 3rd:
However, the question still remains: have the gains already made in pay equity under comparable worth principles been of a precedent-setting nature or are they mostly transitory, a function of concessions made by employers to misled female employees into believing that they have made long-term pay equity gains?

Comparable worth pay adjustments are indeed precedent-setting.


Precedent-setting = Never done before ---> Implies that a certain kind of change has occurred.


You can also see in the first paragraph this section: "In the last decade, this approach has become a critical social policy issue, as large numbers of private-sector firms and industries as well as federal, state, and local governmental entities have adopted comparable worth policies or begun to consider doing so".

Comparable Worth is a new policy because it states that entities have adopted the comparable worth policies over the last decade. The adoption of these policies would represent a change in policy (from a different policy or no policy at all)...

KW
_________________


Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile



Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Posts: 905
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 312

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2014, 21:58
KyleWiddison wrote:

You can also see in the first paragraph this section: "In the last decade, this approach has become a critical social policy issue, as large numbers of private-sector firms and industries as well as federal, state, and local governmental entities have adopted comparable worth policies or begun to consider doing so".

Comparable Worth is a new policy because it states that entities have adopted the comparable worth policies over the last decade. The adoption of these policies would represent a change in policy (from a different policy or no policy at all)...

KW


Then if you suggest that CW has been adopted as a new policy in the LAST DECADE, then how the below answer choice can be eliminated?

To explain how a new policy is applied in specific
cases


New policy=CW
Specific cases= Cases of comparing dissimilar jobs

Please advise !
_________________

Rgds,
TGC!
_____________________________________________________________________
I Assisted You => KUDOS Please
_____________________________________________________________________________

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Apr 2014
Posts: 290
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 46

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2014, 10:30
Hello

not clear on the last question. Why not option E ?
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Posts: 905
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 312

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2014, 11:24
himanshujovi wrote:
Hello

not clear on the last question. Why not option E ?



Hi,

We need an option which can compare two dissimilar jobs in types but similar in skill set used.But both the professions have different salaries that is where comparable worth is useful as a policy

Coming to options:

(D) The skills, training, and job responsibilities of the clerks in the township tax assessor's office are compared to those of the much better-paid township engineers.
Clerks are compared in skill set with engineers, but the engineers are paid more.=>PERFECT
(E) The working conditions of female workers in a hazardous-materials environment are reviewed and their pay schedules compared to those of all workers in similar environments across the nation.
Working conditions and pay schedules of workers in similar environment across nation, we aren't using Comparable worth here.

Comparable worth is applied to dissimilar jobs using similar skill set.

Hope that helps
_________________

Rgds,
TGC!
_____________________________________________________________________
I Assisted You => KUDOS Please
_____________________________________________________________________________

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 501
Followers: 213

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 5

Re: Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2014, 13:50
Expert's post
TGC wrote:
KyleWiddison wrote:

You can also see in the first paragraph this section: "In the last decade, this approach has become a critical social policy issue, as large numbers of private-sector firms and industries as well as federal, state, and local governmental entities have adopted comparable worth policies or begun to consider doing so".

Comparable Worth is a new policy because it states that entities have adopted the comparable worth policies over the last decade. The adoption of these policies would represent a change in policy (from a different policy or no policy at all)...

KW


Then if you suggest that CW has been adopted as a new policy in the LAST DECADE, then how the below answer choice can be eliminated?

To explain how a new policy is applied in specific
cases


New policy=CW
Specific cases= Cases of comparing dissimilar jobs

Please advise !


TGC - I'm don't understand your question here...can you clarify?

Thanks,
KW
_________________


Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile



Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Jun 2013
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 15

Re: Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2014, 04:18
Demoralized.
Got them all wrong :(
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Posts: 905
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 203 [1] , given: 312

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2014, 05:29
1
This post received
KUDOS
supratik wrote:
Demoralized.
Got them all wrong :(


Identify what strategy is good for you, then attempt the RC.

Don't blindly start reading the passage.

You should have well versed strategy before attempting the RC.
_________________

Rgds,
TGC!
_____________________________________________________________________
I Assisted You => KUDOS Please
_____________________________________________________________________________

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Jun 2013
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 15

Re: Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2014, 06:17
TGC wrote:
supratik wrote:
Demoralized.
Got them all wrong :(


Identify what strategy is good for you, then attempt the RC.

Don't blindly start reading the passage.

You should have well versed strategy before attempting the RC.


I believe i was going quite good with the attempts. And yes i am quite thorough with the strategies. I have found myself with this failed outcome whenever i tried to over-pace myself. Any solution to work out with that or is it sheer practice? :)
Re: Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate   [#permalink] 11 Jul 2014, 06:17
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 GMATPREP ChallengeQ -Comparable worth, as a standard applied PiyushK 2 12 Aug 2014, 04:56
Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate anilisanil 1 07 May 2013, 22:52
Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate sondenso 15 13 May 2008, 20:03
Comparable worth is a concept that rejects the premise of a old_dream_1976 1 26 Jul 2006, 20:19
Experts publish their posts in the topic Is it worth applying ? anirudh2004 9 21 Dec 2005, 21:16
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ] 



cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.