Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:45 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1629 [14]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3944 [43]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4614 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3825 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Re: One noted economist has made a comparison of the Federal Reserve and [#permalink]
Your Q is Very much valid
But Manhattan SC says
"GMAT ignores the traditional difference between COMPARED TO(emphasizing similarities) and COMPARED WITH(emphasizing differences)"

but let me apply PoE here
Whats wrong with B? its uses correct Idiom BETWEEN X and Y

is it becoz verb is wordy?
"made a comparison" is wordy compared to "compared"

ugimba wrote:
555. One noted economist has made a comparison of the Federal Reserve and an automobile as racing through a tunnel, bouncing first off one wall, then the other; the car may get where it is going, but people may be hurt in the process.
(A) made a comparison of the Federal Reserve and an automobile as racing through a tunnel, bouncing
(B) made a comparison between the Federal Reserve and an automobile racing through a tunnel, bouncing
(C) compared the Federal Reserve with an automobile as racing through a tunnel and which bounced
(D) compared the Federal Reserve to an automobile racing through a tunnel, bouncing
(E) compared the Federal Reserve with an automobile that races through a tunnel and it bounces

MGMAT SC book's idioms list says that compare to(similarities), compare with(dissimilar ones)

but in the question we are comparing federal reserve and an automobile race ...both are dissimilar nouns/phrases .. so which Idiom should I use? 'compare to' or 'compare with' ??

Please explain ...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: One noted economist has made a comparison of the Federal Reserve and [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
In my opinion, this topic is a defining example of GMAT ignoring the unnecessary idiomatic nuance between ‘compared to’ and ‘compared with-. It can be seen that factors other than the right or wrong use of the above idiom, decide the right answer here.

In A and B ‘made a comparison’ is circumlocutory, In C ‘as racing and which bounced’ is improper with improper llism, a pronoun ambiguity and a shift of tense. E is wrong because of the redundant ‘it’. In a distant possibility, E also distorts the meaning that the Federal Reserve is trying to take an automobile and entering a race.

D is then the best; but to clear the doubt regarding the participial ‘bouncing’, it is precisely to avoid the word’s modification to tunnel, that the participle is set off by commas. Otherwise the bouncing will inescapably refer to the tunnel, which is illogical. In other words, the use of a participle is handy in situations, in which you are not able to address the noun that is just lying before it logically. So there is no change of meaning as such.

The final question is – do we have to still bother about ‘compared to and compared with’
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 366
Send PM
In A , B and D "bouncing" after comma , gives us how aspect or the result of previous, illogically modifying economist. Economist cannot bounce.
In C and E, i found logical mistakes in each of them.
C and which is not correct.
In E only error is "and it" starting of new clause with FANBOYS. Anyway it cannot modify any other noun except "automobile ", still manageable. Expert can comment better
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64888 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sudhirmadaan wrote:
In A , B and D "bouncing" after comma , gives us how aspect or the result of previous, illogically modifying economist. Economist cannot bounce.
In C and E, i found logical mistakes in each of them.
C and which is not correct.
In E only error is "and it" starting of new clause with FANBOYS. Anyway it cannot modify any other noun except "automobile ", still manageable. Expert can comment better

Responding to a pm:

I do not understand what you mean by "In A , B and D "bouncing" after comma , gives us how aspect or the result of previous, illogically modifying economist. Economist cannot bounce."

The use of "bouncing" is absolutely correct. It starts a participle modifier at the end of the sentence which modifies the entire preceding clause.
"bouncing first off..." shows the similarity between Fed and racing automobile. This similarity is highlighted in the preceding clause. The modifier explains the similarity. - perfect!
In (A) and (B), "made a comparison" is the problem. The use of the verb "compared" is far more suitable and precise.

In (E), joining "racing through the tunnel" and "bouncing off one wall..." with 'and' is illogical. They need to be independent ideas to be connected with "and". But "bouncing..." is showing how the automobile is "racing...".
So even if we remove the word "it" in (E), (D) makes more sense than (E).

(D) is correct in every aspect.

As for "compared to" and "compared with" - GMAT does not ask you to decide based on this distinction alone. As said in many of our posts, idioms are usually smokescreens.
But still, the correct distinction between them is this:

"compared to" is used to show similarity between things. The reason it often joins dissimilar things is that we NEED to show similarity when it is not apparent.
"compared with" is used to show differences. The reason it often joins similar things is that we NEED to show differences when things seem similar.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38816 [1]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM