Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 05:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Compared to alligators, crocodiles are better able to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.1
WE: Accounting (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 27

Compared to alligators, crocodiles are better able to [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 17:09
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

72% (01:33) correct 27% (00:39) wrong based on 150 sessions
Compared to alligators, crocodiles are better able to tolerate high salinity, because, unlike alligators, the glands on crocodiles' tongues can expel salt.

A. Compared to alligators, crocodiles are better able to tolerate high salinity, because, unlike alligators, the glands on crocodiles' tongues can expel salt
B. Unlike alligators' tongues, salt can be expelled through the glands on crocodiles' tongues, making crocodiles better than alligators at tolerating high salinity
C. Salt can be expelled through the glands on crocodiles' tongues and not through those on alligators' tongues; therefore, compared to alligators, crocodiles are more tolerant of high salinity
D. Unlike alligators, crocodiles can expel salt through the glands on their tongues; crocodiles are thus more tolerant of high salinity than are alligators
E. Compared with alligators, crocodiles are better at tolerating high salinity, because they can expel salt through the glands on their tongues while alligators' tongues cannot

MGMAT
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.98

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 19

Re: Reptilian Salinity SC [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 18:08
This was interesting and I was able to zero in on C and D as possible answers.

However I picked C (even though C sounds awkward) over D for the following reason:

Clauses separated by a semi-colon should be able to stand on their own.

In option D the second clause after the semi-colon uses the word "thus" implying there had to be a cause/reason preceding it. Hence, the second clause on itself, though grammatically correct, would not make meaning.

In option C, the two clauses are independent and can stand on their own. Therefore I chose C over D.

Are there reasons to eliminate C? Please teach me.

Thanks!

If I did make a valid point, would you please consider giving me a kudo. Thanks.

Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.98

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 19

Re: Reptilian Salinity SC [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 18:11
gomennassai wrote:
This was interesting and I was able to zero in on C and D as possible answers.

However I picked C (even though C sounds awkward) over D for the following reason:

Clauses separated by a semi-colon should be able to stand on their own.

In option D the second clause after the semi-colon uses the word "thus" implying there had to be a cause/reason preceding it. Hence, the second clause on itself, though grammatically correct, would not make meaning.

In option C, the two clauses are independent and can stand on their own. Therefore I chose C over D.

Are there reasons to eliminate C? Please teach me.

Thanks!

Aha!!! I read C again -- "compared to alligators crocodiles are MORE tolerant of high salinity". Correct form should be -- "compared to alligators crocodiles are tolerant of salinity.". That should rule out C. And based on elimination I would pick D. But, still if someone can throw light on the semi-colon issue, that will be fantastic.....

learning it, one step at a time.

If I did make a valid point, would you please consider giving me a kudo. Thanks.

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.1
WE: Accounting (Other)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 27

Re: Reptilian Salinity SC [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 18:23
I got it wrong too. I searched the forum but couldn't find this SC anywhere so I'm hoping someone can help me too.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 2: Q V

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Re: Reptilian Salinity SC [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 20:52
C has to be incorrect because "...and not through those" raises a flag. "those" is ambiguously placed followed by two possible plural references- "glands" and "tongues" and it's not entirely clear which of the two it is referring to. Choice D however leaves no such doubts; it is clear and concise. Remember that GMAT asks that we pick not just the right answer but the best answer. This means there could be potentially be 5 grammatically correct choices, yet we have to pick the "best" of that bunch.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 250

Kudos [?]: 1366 [0], given: 245

Re: Reptilian Salinity SC [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 21:32
Expert's post
I do not think that there is ambiguity about those in C. Logic demands that we choose glands over tongues in this choice. To verify this, let us put the word tongues replacing those and see.

C. Salt can be expelled through the glands on crocodiles' tongues and not through the tongues on alligators' tongues; therefore, compared to alligators, crocodiles are more tolerant of high salinity--- tongues on allegators’ tongues --- does it stand reason? Therefore, C is not ruled out due to ambiguity.

IMO, the reason why C is not preferred is that the first sentence does not bring out the contrast that the passage intends. though implicitly. It simply uses and for the conjunction between crocodiles' tongues and the alligator’s tongues, which is a corroborative signal rather than a contrast. We must rather use but to distinguish between the glands on the tongue of the crocodiles and the glands on the tongues of alligators. Hence C is not as much acceptable as D.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 21

Re: Reptilian Salinity SC [#permalink] New post 24 May 2012, 00:24
This post received
KUDOS
Compared to alligators, crocodiles are better able to tolerate high salinity, because, unlike alligators, the glands on crocodiles' tongues can expel salt.

A. Compared to alligators, crocodiles are better able to tolerate high salinity, because,
Quote:
unlike alligators,
the glands on crocodiles' tongues can expel salt- Alligators Vs Tongues not acceptable
B. Unlike alligators' tongues, salt can be expelled through the glands on crocodiles' tongues, making crocodiles better than alligators at tolerating high salinity-Tongues Vs Salt comparison
C. Salt can be expelled through the glands on crocodiles' tongues and not through those on alligators' tongues; therefore, compared to alligators, crocodiles are more tolerant of high salinity-Redundant long sentence and passive voice-rejected
D. Unlike alligators, crocodiles can expel salt through the glands on [quot Logical[/quote]tongues; crocodiles are thus more tolerant of high salinity than are [b]alligators-Logical Comparison- Accepted
[/b]E. Compared with alligators, crocodiles are better at tolerating high salinity, because they can expel salt through the glands on their tongues while alligators' tongues cannot
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 12

Re: Compared to alligators, crocodiles are better able to [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2012, 17:00

A. Compared to alligators, crocodiles are better able to tolerate high salinity, because, unlike alligators, the glands on crocodiles' tongues can expel salt - Incorrect comparison.
B. Unlike alligators' tongues, salt can be expelled through the glands on crocodiles' tongues, making crocodiles better than alligators at tolerating high salinity - Incorrect comparison.
C. Salt can be expelled through the glands on crocodiles' tongues and not through those on alligators' tongues; therefore, compared to alligators, crocodiles are more tolerant of high salinity - Change the meaning.
D. Unlike alligators, crocodiles can expel salt through the glands on their tongues; crocodiles are thus more tolerant of high salinity than are alligators - Awesome.
E. Compared with alligators, crocodiles are better at tolerating high salinity, because they can expel salt through the glands on their tongues while alligators' tongues cannot - compare to/compare with are generally used with quantities/statistics.
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: Reptilian Salinity SC [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2012, 05:09
daagh wrote:
I do not think that there is ambiguity about those in C. Logic demands that we choose glands over tongues in this choice. To verify this, let us put the word tongues replacing those and see.

C. Salt can be expelled through the glands on crocodiles' tongues and not through the tongues on alligators' tongues; therefore, compared to alligators, crocodiles are more tolerant of high salinity--- tongues on allegators’ tongues --- does it stand reason? Therefore, C is not ruled out due to ambiguity.

IMO, the reason why C is not preferred is that the first sentence does not bring out the contrast that the passage intends. though implicitly. It simply uses and for the conjunction between crocodiles' tongues and the alligator’s tongues, which is a corroborative signal rather than a contrast. We must rather use but to distinguish between the glands on the tongue of the crocodiles and the glands on the tongues of alligators. Hence C is not as much acceptable as D.

Does GMAT test conjunction usages like and & but?

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 12

Re: Compared to alligators, crocodiles are better able to [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2012, 09:41
welcome to gmatword :) yes it does :)
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: Compared to alligators, crocodiles are better able to [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2012, 00:02
vdadwal wrote:
welcome to gmatword :) yes it does :)

Thanks but I don't quite think so . This is the only Question I have come across so far in my preparation that tests conjunctions.

Could experts please confirm?

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Re: Compared to alligators, crocodiles are better able to   [#permalink] 22 Oct 2012, 00:02