Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 00:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Compared to nonprofit hospitals of the same size,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Compared to nonprofit hospitals of the same size, [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2009, 06:20
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:54) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 6 sessions
Compared to nonprofit hospitals of the same size, investor-owned hospitals require less public investment in the form of tax breaks, use fewer employees, and have higher occupancy levels. It can therefore be concluded that investor-owned hospitals are a better way of delivering medical care than are nonprofit hospitals.

Which one of the following, if true, most undermines the conclusion drawn above?

(A) Nonprofit hospitals charge more per bed than do investor-owned hospitals.
(B) Patients in nonprofit hospitals recover more quickly than do patients with comparable illnesses in investor-owned hospitals.
(C) Nonprofit hospitals do more fundraising than do investor-owned hospitals.
(D) Doctors at nonprofit hospitals earn higher salaries than do similarly-qualified doctors at investor-owned hospitals.
(E) Nonprofit hospitals receive more donations than do investor-owned hospital.

PLEASE EXPLAIN YOUR ANSWERS :)
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Cornell University - The Johnson School
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 42 [1] , given: 62

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: nonprofit versus invester-owned hospitals [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2009, 08:02
This post received
KUDOS
cici wrote:
Compared to nonprofit hospitals of the same size, investor-owned hospitals require less public investment in the form of tax breaks, use fewer employees, and have higher occupancy levels. It can therefore be concluded that investor-owned hospitals are a better way of delivering medical care than are nonprofit hospitals.

Which one of the following, if true, most undermines the conclusion drawn above?

(A) Nonprofit hospitals charge more per bed than do investor-owned hospitals.
(B) Patients in nonprofit hospitals recover more quickly than do patients with comparable illnesses in investor-owned hospitals.
(C) Nonprofit hospitals do more fundraising than do investor-owned hospitals.
(D) Doctors at nonprofit hospitals earn higher salaries than do similarly-qualified doctors at investor-owned hospitals.
(E) Nonprofit hospitals receive more donations than do investor-owned hospital.

PLEASE EXPLAIN YOUR ANSWERS :)

I'll take a shot at it ...

My version of the conclusion: Investor-owned hospitals are a better way of delivering medical care than are nonprofit hospitals because they require less public investment in the form of tax breaks, use fewer employees, and have higher occupancy levels.

So what would weaken/undermine the conclusion? The argument is based on the delivery of medical care. If investor-owned hospitals have higher occupancy levels than nonprofit hospitals the argument could be made that nonprofits are more efficient at the delivery of medical care with fewer patients staying in the hospital thus making it possible to care for more patients.

A) This strengthens the conclusion.

B) I like this answer. If patients recover quicker in nonprofit hospitals than do those in investor-owned hospitals that means the delivery of care is better and more efficient. Moreover, non-profits may have lower occupancy rates because of the delivery of medical care is "better" or more efficient.

C) Who cares about fundraising? Does fundraising make nonprofit hospitals better at delivering medical care?

D) This is interesting ... doctors make more in nonprofit hospitals ... one could argue that this makes delivering medical care more inefficient.

E) Can donations make a hospital more efficient or better at delivering medical care? Possibly.

I'm going with B. What's the OA?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: CR: nonprofit versus invester-owned hospitals [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2009, 18:42
Conclusion is:Investor-owned hospitals are a better way of delivering medical care than are nonprofit hospitals.

Therefore, what would weaken/undermine the conclusion, it mean that finding an answer which attack the conclusion (donot destroy it) or it will contradict one of premises.

A) What happen to nonprofit hospital with charge more per bed? Is that nonprofit hospital?
B) Destroy the conclusion
C) fund-raising help nonprofit
D) Irrelevant
E) Sound good as weakening the conclusion with previous conditions

I go for E.

Remember to give kudos if it's useful for you !!!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: CR: nonprofit versus invester-owned hospitals [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2009, 07:33
OA is B.

Good job franklin, kudos for you!

And I think it is okay to destroy the conclusion in the CR weakening question. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 48

Re: CR: nonprofit versus invester-owned hospitals [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2009, 06:56
Feel its definately B
Re: CR: nonprofit versus invester-owned hospitals   [#permalink] 22 Sep 2009, 06:56