Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 08:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Comparison of payment plan of telephone company

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas (WL), Kellogg (matricultating), Stanford (R2, ding), Columbia (ding)
WE 1: 3 years hotel industry sales and marketing France
WE 2: 3 years financial industry marketing UK
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 10

Comparison of payment plan of telephone company [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2010, 07:59
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

25% (01:34) correct 75% (02:04) wrong based on 2 sessions
That problem seemed easy but never figured the correct answer, not even with solution provided.... help!

A telephone company offers two plans, A and B. Under plan A, the company charges a total of $0.90 for the first 7 minutes and $0-06 per min thereafter. Under plan B, the company charges $0.08 per min of each call. What is the duration of a call, in minutes, for which the company charges the same amount under plan A and under plan B?
A: 2
B: 9
C:15
D:21
E:30

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA = B

Yes I can!

1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Schools: Cornell (Bach. of Sci.), UCLA Anderson (MBA)
Followers: 125

Kudos [?]: 196 [1] , given: 6

Re: Comparison of payment plan of telephone company [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2010, 11:15
This post received
KUDOS
I think this problem has a typo. If you can, go back to the original GMATPrep screen to verify.

If the answer is as given, I think the problem would have to read "A telephone company offers two plans, A and B. Under plan A, the company charges a total of $0.60 for the first 7 minutes and $0.06 per min thereafter. Under plan B, the company charges $0.08 per min of each call. What is the duration of a call, in minutes, for which the company charges the same amount under plan A and under plan B?"

For the problem as written above, I get 24 as the answer. The equation (amounts in cents, for ease of calculation) is 90 + 6(x-7) = 8x, where x is the number of minutes.

90 + 6x - 42 = 8x
48 = 2x
x = 24

Emily Sledge | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | St. Louis

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Comparison of payment plan of telephone company [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2010, 21:30
nifoui wrote:
That problem seemed easy but never figured the correct answer, not even with solution provided.... help!

A telephone company offers two plans, A and B. Under plan A, the company charges a total of $0.90 for the first 7 minutes and $0-06 per min thereafter. Under plan B, the company charges $0.08 per min of each call. What is the duration of a call, in minutes, for which the company charges the same amount under plan A and under plan B?
A: 2
B: 9
C:15
D:21
E:30

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA = B

x - number of minutes for a call
0.9 + .06(x-7) = 0.08x
0.02x = 0.48
x=24
which is not answer choice, please confirm the question or answer choices.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Comparison of payment plan of telephone company [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2010, 22:23
I defined the variable a little differently because I find I make more mistakes when I subtract than add (for whatever reason). I set "x" to be the number of minutes after the first 7 (which assumed the call would be more than 7 minutes but I figured that was a safe assumption for the question).

0.9 + 0.06x = 0.08(x+7)
0.02x = 0.34
x = 17
Add the first 7 minutes: 17 + 7 = 24 minutes.

Something's off with the question/answer set, just wanted to add a different way to define the variable.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Comparison of payment plan of telephone company [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 20:18
Hi,
Lets take the money in cents and minutes as M.
then
60+(M-7)6=8M
i.e 60+6M-42=8M
2M=18 and hence M=9

So the answer is 9 Minutes. Even i got this wrong in the test,But taking my time and solving this helped figure out the solution.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Broad, McCombs
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 11

Re: Comparison of payment plan of telephone company [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2010, 12:39
srihariom wrote:
Hi,
Lets take the money in cents and minutes as M.
then
60+(M-7)6=8M
i.e 60+6M-42=8M
2M=18 and hence M=9

So the answer is 9 Minutes. Even i got this wrong in the test,But taking my time and solving this helped figure out the solution.

But they charge $.90 for the first 7 minutes, not $.06

So taking it in cents would be 90+(M-7)6=8M, right?
Re: Comparison of payment plan of telephone company   [#permalink] 12 Oct 2010, 12:39