Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 09:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Competing with US Citizens for a job after MBA?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9410 [2] , given: 3697

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Competing with US Citizens for a job after MBA? [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 06:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I got the following PM and figured i would rather post it in the forum since this applies to quite a few folks. Welcome your thoughts and suggestions:

Quote:
I m planning to start my MBA at 2014 in USA, but I d like to know some topics about getting jobs in USA at ending the MBA program, I mean, for example I took the university in Peru but the MBA I d take it in USA (UCLA for example) so when I apply to a job in USA , I m gonna compete with american people who made the university and MBA in USA, so based on your experience do you consider that this could be a weakness on my application for a job? how hard could be getting a job for a south-american engineer like me?

1. Yes, you will be competing with quite a few folks for a job. However, your origin does not matter as much. What will come into play is your visa/work permit situation since not all companies want to hire folks with paperwork baggage.
2. Your undergrad probably does not matter much or at all at this point.
3. What matters the most is your work experience, achievements, and initiative. If you can show a big brand name (e.g. Siemens or GE) on your resume, you should have a much easier time. However, if you have little work experience or a lack of at all, then it is an issue... because you have not proven yourself and nobody wants to hire the fresh guy. MBA is like bigger wheels on a car or a new bigger engine - it can take you much further than the old wheels/engine but if your steering does not work or you don't have gas, you wont' get far no matter the engine or wheels. Your work experience will be very important in your job and internship searches.
4. LA is a great spot for someone from South America (as opposed to Chicago or Seattle) since quite a few folks there are from Peru, Chile, or Argentina. Knowing Spanish will help too and if you have a personality and some cool hobbies that's helpful as well.
5. Bottom line, there are jobs and it is possible to get them. However, they are not handed out to anyone.

Best Regards,
BB.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 368 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Competing with US Citizens for a job after MBA? [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 00:06
bb wrote:
I got the following PM and figured i would rather post it in the forum since this applies to quite a few folks. Welcome your thoughts and suggestions:

Quote:
I m planning to start my MBA at 2014 in USA, but I d like to know some topics about getting jobs in USA at ending the MBA program, I mean, for example I took the university in Peru but the MBA I d take it in USA (UCLA for example) so when I apply to a job in USA , I m gonna compete with american people who made the university and MBA in USA, so based on your experience do you consider that this could be a weakness on my application for a job? how hard could be getting a job for a south-american engineer like me?

1. Yes, you will be competing with quite a few folks for a job. However, your origin does not matter as much. What will come into play is your visa/work permit situation since not all companies want to hire folks with paperwork baggage.
2. Your undergrad probably does not matter much or at all at this point.
3. What matters the most is your work experience, achievements, and initiative. If you can show a big brand name (e.g. Siemens or GE) on your resume, you should have a much easier time. However, if you have little work experience or a lack of at all, then it is an issue... because you have not proven yourself and nobody wants to hire the fresh guy. MBA is like bigger wheels on a car or a new bigger engine - it can take you much further than the old wheels/engine but if your steering does not work or you don't have gas, you wont' get far no matter the engine or wheels. Your work experience will be very important in your job and internship searches.
4. LA is a great spot for someone from South America (as opposed to Chicago or Seattle) since quite a few folks there are from Peru, Chile, or Argentina. Knowing Spanish will help too and if you have a personality and some cool hobbies that's helpful as well.
5. Bottom line, there are jobs and it is possible to get them. However, they are not handed out to anyone.

Best Regards,
BB.

Good summary. I would assume that college reputation may also play a significant part, specially for those who focus on change of industry/function etc.

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9410 [0], given: 3697

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Competing with US Citizens for a job after MBA? [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 10:58
Expert's post
Yes, a few things will play a role in being able to find a job/internship.
And international students are not always disadvantaged, by the way - you may get to use your language skills, leverage, your international experience (depending on the company and role of course), and frankly demonstrate more motivation and determination - who is it easier to get into the UCLA, a local guy who has access to all the resources or someone from far away without as much $$$ backing?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 6

Re: Competing with US Citizens for a job after MBA? [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2012, 06:30
I think you covered it pretty accurately. There has been times where being international has made job hunting significantly more difficult - TARP placing major restrictions on financial firms recruiting non-US workers was a nightmare to navigate in 2008-2011, partly because it created excess supply on the international student side as a major industry kind of vanished. That said, many of us still managed to find a way to stay.

Ultimately, I don't think it should be considered a detrimental factor. It creates some difficulties near-term but, in my view, helps you become more the kind of worker with international exposure that firms are looking for.

Re: Competing with US Citizens for a job after MBA?   [#permalink] 16 Dec 2012, 06:30