Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72874 [364]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72874 [6]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [8]
Given Kudos: 15
GPA: 3.95
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72874 [4]
Send PM
Re: GMAT Error Log [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
My bad - I added xlsm extension to the allowable list.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Sorry guys a bit busy :(

Attached new version 0.0.4

I would really like to receive suggestions from you. Please do not hesitate to send me PM, if you have some suggestion.

Rate: [rating1]yellow/647103[/rating1]
Attachment:
Spoilt_Error_Log_V_0.0.4.xls [1.34 MiB]
Downloaded 1572 times

Office 2007 file:
Attachment:
Spoilt_Error_Log_V_0.0.4.xlsm [412.83 KiB]
Downloaded 625 times
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Updated version: 0.0.5

Added much needed button to clear log.
Rate: [rating1]yellow/647103[/rating1]
Attachment:
Spoilt_Error_Log_V_0.0.5.xls [1.34 MiB]
Downloaded 525 times

Office 2007 file:
Attachment:
Spoilt_Error_Log_V_0.0.5.xlsm [420.78 KiB]
Downloaded 448 times
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [11]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Here is my entry.

I created this Error Log to help in my own GMAT studying and the tools in it were features which were very helpful to me. I tried to keep it as simple as possible and to minimize the amount of inputs for the user but also provide maximum utility. I knowingly did not add functionality to analyze specific types of problems (algebra, arithmetic, percents, strengthen argument, etc) as I found the data entry needed to analyze the results was too time consuming. I felt that time could be better utilized elsewhere - like doing more problems. I also did not add any fancy macros as it has been my experience that sometimes those things can crash your program depending on your computer.

Instead I focused on creating something where you could quickly find the problems you should revisit based on a few criteria: 1) Accuracy; 2) Speed; and 3) Comfort Level with each answer. These were critical things to me as I obviously wanted to review problems I got wrong but I also wanted to review problems that took me too long to solve or questions where I might have just gotten lucky by guessing.

I hope many/someone out there find(s) it useful. If there are enough requests and it is easy enough I will try to provide a copy for Apple users (I own an Apple but I use the Windows side of it for all MS Office stuff - dont like the Apple versions of Excel or Word). The file is open for all to see the coding.
Attachments

Trianglock_GMAT Error Log.xls [1.87 MiB]
Downloaded 1340 times

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [10]
Send PM
Kudos
Updated version: 0.0.6

Improved performance. It's much faster now. More to come :) (I hope).

Rate: Rate: [rating1]yellow/647103[/rating1]
Attachment:
Spoilt_Error_Log_V_0.0.6.xls [733 KiB]
Downloaded 690 times

Office 2007:
Attachment:
Spoilt_Error_Log_V_0.0.6.xlsm [240.01 KiB]
Downloaded 543 times
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [6]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The error log I used for my prep.

Final version, it has gone through all the necessary QA.

Attachment:
File comment: error log
error log.pdf [24.49 KiB]
Downloaded 1300 times

[rating1]green/653191[/rating1]
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 483 [24]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:SSE
 Q47  V39
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Here is my contribution to this cool contest.

I focused on building a user-friendly and simple to use application , rather than cracking hundreds of functions. Honestly, an error log won't make you any better by itself, it only will tell you in which areas you must work harder and in which areas you are rocking the house. And that's what my proposal does, no more no less.

I used similar colors to those of GMAT Club in order to help people feel comfortable using it while they spend the hours cracking questions through the forums.

Finally, my gmat exam is TOMORROW(!) so I hadn't plenty of time to do this. It's not an excuse for the contest, rather a promise that I will make it better afterwards. Some areas that can get improved are:
1) More thorough database
2) CAT-Specific sections
3) Decent help section
4) You decide it!

When the contest ended I'll open a new ""official"" threat for those who will be using it and want to implement some improvements.

So that's it:

Friendly Error Log v1 by Saruba
Attachment:
friendly_error_log_v1_by_saruba.xlsx [134.76 KiB]
Downloaded 1349 times

Attachment:
friendly_error_log_v1_by_saruba.xls [305.5 KiB]
Downloaded 826 times

*Several warnings prompted up when saving the 2003 version, I'm not sure if it'll work fine!
[rating1]red/653249[/rating1]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Hey guys...made a couple changes / edits. First - had to change the dark red coloring and other formatting (was going for Harvard colors but I dont think it looks too good in excel). Second - needed to fix a formula. Third - created button to link to each source's performance report (before I dont think it was obvious that it was there). Fourth - created more tabs (reduced the default amount of questions from 2000 to 1000 to save space). Lastly, I made an xlsx version.

Enjoy.

[rating1]black/653347[/rating1]
Attachments

Trianglock_GMAT Error Log-2.xls [1.59 MiB]
Downloaded 289 times

Trianglock_GMAT Error Log-2.xlsx [814.57 KiB]
Downloaded 179 times

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Version with source code:

Attachment:
Spoilt_Error_Log_V_0.0.7.xls [664.5 KiB]
Downloaded 160 times

Office 2007:
Attachment:
Spoilt_Error_Log_V_0.0.7.xlsm [314.25 KiB]
Downloaded 159 times
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [0]
Send PM
TRIANGLOCK wrote:
Hey guys...made a couple changes / edits. First - had to change the dark red coloring and other formatting (was going for Harvard colors but I dont think it looks too good in excel). Second - needed to fix a formula. Third - created button to link to each source's performance report (before I dont think it was obvious that it was there). Fourth - created more tabs (reduced the default amount of questions from 2000 to 1000 to save space). Lastly, I made an xlsx version.

Enjoy.

[rating1]black/653347[/rating1]

Good work TRIANGLOCK.

I made a small change to this entry :
Attachment:
Trianglock_GMAT Error Log-2.1.xls [1.62 MiB]
Downloaded 167 times
Tuck School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 330 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Stanford (in), Tuck (WL), Wharton (ding), Cornell (in)
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Thank you guys!

I liked both Saruba's and TRIANGLOCK's work, though preferred Saruba's one. They both deserve access to GMAT Club Challenges at least

Saruba
You're having D-Day today, aren't you?! :?:

---------------

PS I've just seen Spoilt's version too. It's very very good. All of these 3 users have made great contributions to site.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
shalva wrote:
Thank you guys!

I liked both Saruba's and TRIANGLOCK's work, though preferred Saruba's one. They both deserve access to GMAT Club Challenges at least

Saruba
You're having D-Day today, aren't you?! :?:

---------------

PS I've just seen Spoilt's version too. It's very very good. All of these 3 users have made great contributions to site.

True , TRIANGLOCK did good job for me.

I would like to quote Saruba's work is incomplete - It's just a template and don't have any fuctional value at the end of competition.

After competition is over - anyone not only me , TRIANGLOCK but any GMATcluber can update and produce better version but that will not be a fair competition - Log must be functional at the end of competition.

But I really appreciate Saruba's work - Though useless for the fair competition. (But Saruba deserves access to GMAT Club Challenges at least)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 483 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:SSE
 Q47  V39
Send PM
Spoilt wrote:
True , TRIANGLOCK did good job for me.

I would like to quote Saruba's work is incomplete - It's just a template and don't have any fuctional value at the end of competition.

But I really appreciate Saruba's work - Though useless for the fair competition. (But Saruba deserves access to GMAT Club Challenges at least)

"Error log is one of the most essential and important tools in GMAT prep. Do you use one? Have a good template? Have good ideas to create one? You may be in for some money"

Yes I use one. Yes I have one. Yes I do have some ideas. I can't see where he says that in order to participate in the contest the error log must have a functional value. By the way, what do you mean with functional value? A 'Clear log' button? How on earth will I want to erase all the entries that took me hours to introduce? A "Planner"? There are thousands of applications far better than that. Auto-increment? This is what I call useless.
A 'Hit Rate' bar graph just aside the table that shows the same information? The mess of having Quant and Verbal questions mixed together? Is this your concept of funcionality? Sorry, I don't agree with you.

Don't get me wrong, but what i think is really unfair is that you decide who is out of the competition.
My error log is usable as is, all I said is that for folks who like it and will be using it, I would improve it, AS A FAVOR, following their suggestions.

The value of my error log is its simple, clear, well-structured and user-friendly interface. If you don't value these aspects it's fine for me, but is the jury who will decide about these matters, not you.

As a bottomline, I had access to GMAT Club Tests thanks to other contributions I made to this community so I didn't participate for that and neither for the money (I have a job). I made this because I'd have never achieved a score of 700 without GMAT Club Tests and its support forums, so I feel in debt with this community.

Thanks for those who asked about my D-day, as I wrote above I got a 700. Will write a detailed debrief soon.

@HopefulOldie I protected it for the contest, I will soon publish it free but for now you can unlock it with the password '8887'.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Dear all,

I made changes to Error to include GMATClub Logo. Changed Name to GMATCLub Error Log V1. Everyone can change it to contribute !!!

Clear log button can be removed later - It is just to clear the already present sample values.

BB Please don't consider it my entry for Competition.
Attachment:
GMATClub_Error_Log_V_1.xls [845 KiB]
Downloaded 262 times

Office 2007:
Attachment:
GMATClub_Error_Log_V_1.xlsm [486.51 KiB]
Downloaded 217 times

Originally posted by Spoilt on 18 Nov 2009, 23:42.
Last edited by Spoilt on 23 Nov 2009, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
BB - Any good news for us yet? Understand the work thing though.

In the spirit of collaboration now that the competition deadline has passed, I put together something which in my opinion takes some of the best features from each competitors log and aggregates it all into 1.

I have completed roughly half of it (only the quant side) and wanted to see what people thought before proceeding to code the verbal side as well.

Summary of New Error Log

1. I usually pride myself on being the best at making documents look pretty (former IBanker mentality) but Saruba by far had the best interface in my opinion. Great design and usability for the average person. So I grabbed a little bit of that.
2. Organizing the logs into quant/verbal made some sense to me. Mostly I liked how you had 2 logs and 2 corresponding reports. Another Saruba contribution that I borrowed.
3. Even though Spoilts Planner got bashed in a previous reply - I actually liked that feature. I know sometimes I like to set goals for myself as it pertains to the GMAT (i.e. how many questions per day, how long studying, when I take practice tests) and it helps to have it all rolled up into your error log.
4. The db I borrowed a bit from everyone.
5. I liked my highlighting tool. Helps me to quickly see the questions I need to review and spend more time on based on different criteria.

There are probably others to see but I'll leave a bit of mystery so you download it.

PS - 1 Hint. There is a lot of coding that can slow it down so i suggest turning your calcs to manual so it doesnt hinder your data entry and just press f9 whenever you need to calculate.
Attachments

Awesome Error Log.xls [1.24 MiB]
Downloaded 241 times

Awesome Error Log.xlsm [373.76 KiB]
Downloaded 153 times

Manager
Manager
Send PM
TRIANGLOCK wrote:
BB - Any good news for us yet? Understand the work thing though.

In the spirit of collaboration now that the competition deadline has passed, I put together something which in my opinion takes some of the best features from each competitors log and aggregates it all into 1.

I have completed roughly half of it (only the quant side) and wanted to see what people thought before proceeding to code the verbal side as well.

Summary of New Error Log

1. I usually pride myself on being the best at making documents look pretty (former IBanker mentality) but Saruba by far had the best interface in my opinion. Great design and usability for the average person. So I grabbed a little bit of that.
2. Organizing the logs into quant/verbal made some sense to me. Mostly I liked how you had 2 logs and 2 corresponding reports. Another Saruba contribution that I borrowed.
3. Even though Spoilts Planner got bashed in a previous reply - I actually liked that feature. I know sometimes I like to set goals for myself as it pertains to the GMAT (i.e. how many questions per day, how long studying, when I take practice tests) and it helps to have it all rolled up into your error log.
4. The db I borrowed a bit from everyone.
5. I liked my highlighting tool. Helps me to quickly see the questions I need to review and spend more time on based on different criteria.

There are probably others to see but I'll leave a bit of mystery so you download it.

PS - 1 Hint. There is a lot of coding that can slow it down so i suggest turning your calcs to manual so it doesnt hinder your data entry and just press f9 whenever you need to calculate.

Good . I have some suggestions : Sorry I dont have enough time to update.

1. Performace is too slow, it is because we are using some calculations that can be done in a better and efficient way.
2. For validation(drop down list) we are using db sheet reference - that is very inefficient method: Suggestion (make the range in the db with name - check Spoilt Error log "Lists" sheet ) add list validation '=<RangeName>' e.g. '=OA'.
3. use alternate colour for combination of cells.
Attachment:
Awesome Error Log.xls [1.24 MiB]
Downloaded 214 times

Attachments

Range.PNG
Range.PNG [ 59.6 KiB | Viewed 90598 times ]

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72874 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
First of all - I want to thank everyone who participated - Spoilt, Trianglock, Saruba, and Mohater.
I have enabled access to the tests to those of you who are still planning to take the GMAT.

Based on the criteria put forth:
- Features, Functionality, and Usability of the final product as judged by gmat club mods and admins
- Effort as judged by gmat club mods and admins
- Quality and professionalism of the template as judged by gmat club mods and admins
- Design and layout
- Member votes
- Simplicity (Apple iPod approach to design and usability)

It was not easy to judge these but I am happy to announce that after a lengthy review (sorry) Saruba is the official winner.
His/her error log won not by functionality but rather simplicity and design/layout. In my opinion it was the most inviting and encouraging tool to get a novice started. Other error logs may be more sophisticated or have more features, and useful to experienced users but at the same time, may intimidate those who have just started. It was also one of the smaller ones in size.

Again, thank you everyone for participation - it was great to see the joint community error log at the end.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5