Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 07:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Complete Breakdown of Stanford Class of '07

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Complete Breakdown of Stanford Class of '07 [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2006, 18:04
Here's the link:

http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/cmc/recruit ... _2007.html

A few days ago, I posted data regarding language proficiencies of the students at Stanford. Above is a link to all sorts of information broken down for use by recruiters, and it is official data from the Stanford website.

Here are some things that I found to be interesting:

Advanced Degree:
1 each JD, MD & PhD - Stanford definitely likes a younger crowd.

Undergraduate Major:
Economics 85 - Holy Cr@p!
Business Adminisstration 46
English 12 - :)
Information Technology 6 - Holy Cr@p!

Now, the IT number does not include computer science and engineers, but d@mn! Considering the number of local applicants with that background, combined with the popularity of Stanford with international IT applicants, particularly from India, China and Israel, that is a mind-numbing stat.

Prior Work Experience: Industry
Management Consulting 111
Investment Banking 90
Private Equity/Investing 53

Those are the top 3 folks, and account for over 75% of the total class. So Adcoms might tell you that they look at all backgrounds equally, but that doesn't mean you should believe them. Seriously, how many people are actually involved in Private Equity prior to Business School? About .0001% of the general population I'd guess, yet about 1/6 of the class at Stanford has that background. Of course, the types of people that can land jobs in private equity probably have the types of things on their resume that will distinguish them in a business school application.

So that's how the numbers break down. It's hard to know how the language numbers compare directly with the ethnic backgrounds of admitted students, but someone at another blog observed that according to these stats, less than 1% of the Indians that apply to Stanford are admitted. For Chinese applicants, it's probably like 4-5%.

As I have mentioned elsewhere, getting into the 99th percentile on the GMAT seems like a much simpler task than distinguishing yourself in your essays at a place like Stanford.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2006, 18:57
This is an interesting look at the class but what I found even more interesting was that the class is more regional than many people probably expect- note that over half the students prefer to remain in the US West (which appears to be narrowly defined as CA and the Northwest). This regional interest might be a partial explanation for the overrepresentation of some occupations.

It was also interesting that 13 students appear to be taking part in the joint MBA/MA in Education program.

http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/mba/academi ... grees.html

This compiltation also seems to be using a somewhat idiosyncratic definition of advanced degree as doctoral/terminal degrees since there are 40+ graduate/profession degrees listed above the Phd/JD/MD information.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2006, 20:03
That is interesting. My reaction to the fact that a large portion prefer to remain in the west is that people that can get into Stanford probably have their choice of business schools. So if they preferred to work in NY or Chicago or Boston, many would probably just go to Harvard or Wharton or something.

The stat about the the joint MA in Education degree is really interesting. The joing degree that most schools publicize is the JD/MBA. I'm not sure what to make of that stat. Perhaps people that are interested in becoming business school professors down the line? There was an article in Businessweek about a shortage of qualified b-school professors.

That is strange how they categorize "advanced degrees". I can understand why JD & MD are separate, because those degrees are required to gain admission to related professions. Not sure why the others are separated out like that.

I did also come across some demographic data about Michigan that showed about 40 students each with Indian & Chinese backgrounds were part of the most recent class. Certainly more promising than Stanford, but as we know Stanford is about as tough as it gets.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2006, 20:37
I think the MBA/MA Education is intended for people who intend to become school administrators and want a combination of training in management and education.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Complete Breakdown of Stanford Class of '07 [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2006, 04:30
pelihu wrote:
Here's the link:

http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/cmc/recruit ... _2007.html

A few days ago, I posted data regarding language proficiencies of the students at Stanford. Above is a link to all sorts of information broken down for use by recruiters, and it is official data from the Stanford website.

Here are some things that I found to be interesting:

Advanced Degree:
1 each JD, MD & PhD - Stanford definitely likes a younger crowd.

Undergraduate Major:
Economics 85 - Holy Cr@p!
Business Adminisstration 46
English 12 - :)
Information Technology 6 - Holy Cr@p!

Now, the IT number does not include computer science and engineers, but d@mn! Considering the number of local applicants with that background, combined with the popularity of Stanford with international IT applicants, particularly from India, China and Israel, that is a mind-numbing stat.

Prior Work Experience: Industry
Management Consulting 111
Investment Banking 90
Private Equity/Investing 53

Those are the top 3 folks, and account for over 75% of the total class. So Adcoms might tell you that they look at all backgrounds equally, but that doesn't mean you should believe them. Seriously, how many people are actually involved in Private Equity prior to Business School? About .0001% of the general population I'd guess, yet about 1/6 of the class at Stanford has that background. Of course, the types of people that can land jobs in private equity probably have the types of things on their resume that will distinguish them in a business school application.

So that's how the numbers break down. It's hard to know how the language numbers compare directly with the ethnic backgrounds of admitted students, but someone at another blog observed that according to these stats, less than 1% of the Indians that apply to Stanford are admitted. For Chinese applicants, it's probably like 4-5%.

As I have mentioned elsewhere, getting into the 99th percentile on the GMAT seems like a much simpler task than distinguishing yourself in your essays at a place like Stanford.

I doubt 1/6 of the class is coming from PE as the category is called Private Equity/Investment. So the way I read it is basically everybody from the buyside and there's a lot of people, me included, working at all kinds of buyside firms without higher degrees. This includes hedge funds, huge companies like Fidelity, the asset management or PWM arms of the BBs, etc. and doesn't distinguish between the portfolio management role and all the other roles in the company -- ops, legal, accounting, HR, IT, account reps, etc.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Complete Breakdown of Stanford Class of '07 [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2006, 09:27
ap663 wrote:

I doubt 1/6 of the class is coming from PE as the category is called Private Equity/Investment. So the way I read it is basically everybody from the buyside and there's a lot of people, me included, working at all kinds of buyside firms without higher degrees. This includes hedge funds, huge companies like Fidelity, the asset management or PWM arms of the BBs, etc. and doesn't distinguish between the portfolio management role and all the other roles in the company -- ops, legal, accounting, HR, IT, account reps, etc.

Check out the link above and look under the section "Prior Work Experience: Function". 63 people list their funciton as "Finance: Venture Capital/Private Equity". Now, there are separate functions listed for account managers, HR, etc. There are also separate functions listed for Investment Banking, Investment Management, Private Client/Wealth Management and Sales & Trading, so nothing leads me to believe that 1/5 or 1/6 of these people didn't actually work in PE.

However you choose to look at it, 10x more people were from PE than were Engineers (63 v. 6). There were more people from PE than in all marketing functions put together (63 v. 60). There were 20x more people from PE than were Software Engineers (63 v. 3). The point is, there is huge over-representation of this background when compared to the numbers in the general population.

I also noted something pretty amazing - there were an equal number of Artist/Entertainer/Athletes as there were Engineers (6 v. 6). Not just people that had this in their background, but where this was actually their prior work function. Crazy.
Re: Complete Breakdown of Stanford Class of '07   [#permalink] 23 Oct 2006, 09:27