Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:24 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think the MBA/MA Education is intended for people who intend to become school administrators and want a combination of training in management and education.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: Complete Breakdown of Stanford Class of '07 [#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
Here's the link:

https://www.gsb.stanford.edu/cmc/recruit ... _2007.html

A few days ago, I posted data regarding language proficiencies of the students at Stanford. Above is a link to all sorts of information broken down for use by recruiters, and it is official data from the Stanford website.

Here are some things that I found to be interesting:

Advanced Degree:
1 each JD, MD & PhD - Stanford definitely likes a younger crowd.

Undergraduate Major:
Economics 85 - Holy Cr@p!
Business Adminisstration 46
English 12 - :)
Information Technology 6 - Holy Cr@p!

Now, the IT number does not include computer science and engineers, but d@mn! Considering the number of local applicants with that background, combined with the popularity of Stanford with international IT applicants, particularly from India, China and Israel, that is a mind-numbing stat.

Prior Work Experience: Industry
Management Consulting 111
Investment Banking 90
Private Equity/Investing 53

Those are the top 3 folks, and account for over 75% of the total class. So Adcoms might tell you that they look at all backgrounds equally, but that doesn't mean you should believe them. Seriously, how many people are actually involved in Private Equity prior to Business School? About .0001% of the general population I'd guess, yet about 1/6 of the class at Stanford has that background. Of course, the types of people that can land jobs in private equity probably have the types of things on their resume that will distinguish them in a business school application.

So that's how the numbers break down. It's hard to know how the language numbers compare directly with the ethnic backgrounds of admitted students, but someone at another blog observed that according to these stats, less than 1% of the Indians that apply to Stanford are admitted. For Chinese applicants, it's probably like 4-5%.

As I have mentioned elsewhere, getting into the 99th percentile on the GMAT seems like a much simpler task than distinguishing yourself in your essays at a place like Stanford.

I doubt 1/6 of the class is coming from PE as the category is called Private Equity/Investment. So the way I read it is basically everybody from the buyside and there's a lot of people, me included, working at all kinds of buyside firms without higher degrees. This includes hedge funds, huge companies like Fidelity, the asset management or PWM arms of the BBs, etc. and doesn't distinguish between the portfolio management role and all the other roles in the company -- ops, legal, accounting, HR, IT, account reps, etc.
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
ap663 wrote:

I doubt 1/6 of the class is coming from PE as the category is called Private Equity/Investment. So the way I read it is basically everybody from the buyside and there's a lot of people, me included, working at all kinds of buyside firms without higher degrees. This includes hedge funds, huge companies like Fidelity, the asset management or PWM arms of the BBs, etc. and doesn't distinguish between the portfolio management role and all the other roles in the company -- ops, legal, accounting, HR, IT, account reps, etc.

Check out the link above and look under the section "Prior Work Experience: Function". 63 people list their funciton as "Finance: Venture Capital/Private Equity". Now, there are separate functions listed for account managers, HR, etc. There are also separate functions listed for Investment Banking, Investment Management, Private Client/Wealth Management and Sales & Trading, so nothing leads me to believe that 1/5 or 1/6 of these people didn't actually work in PE.

However you choose to look at it, 10x more people were from PE than were Engineers (63 v. 6). There were more people from PE than in all marketing functions put together (63 v. 60). There were 20x more people from PE than were Software Engineers (63 v. 3). The point is, there is huge over-representation of this background when compared to the numbers in the general population.

I also noted something pretty amazing - there were an equal number of Artist/Entertainer/Athletes as there were Engineers (6 v. 6). Not just people that had this in their background, but where this was actually their prior work function. Crazy.
GMAT Club Bot