Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 14:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Completed GMAT - 730 Q46 V 44

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Completed GMAT - 730 Q46 V 44 [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2006, 17:36
Hi All,

I have been a active reader of this newsboard and so wanted to share my GMAT story on this newsboard. I have my GMAT on 9/19 and scored a 730 (M 46 V 44) I have not a big contributor and so I decided that I will definitely share my effort. So here goes….

This was my second attempt. My first attempt got me a 670 (M 44 Q 36). The main changes I made are as follows:
- Focused a lot more on Verbal
- For RC and CR: Kaplan and Kaplan Verbal Workout really helped. For those who consider Verbal as their week point, I highly recommend the Kaplan verbal workout. Specially the sections on RC and CR and very helpful.
- For SC: Idioms were my weak point. I am not a native English speaker and so the only way I could improve is practice. I created a list of idioms and use to quiz on it every day. I think it helped me quite a bit.
- For Quant: I used the 800 Kaplan GMAT book. It has good example of tough problems. My main strategy for this time was to be able to identify quickly how to resolve the problem. That’s what I focused on learning. Towards the end, if I couldn’t figure out how to resolve the problem in 30 secs, I would make an educate guess and move on
- Another tip on Quant: Quant questions on the real GMAT are generally tough and tricky. So don’t worry too much of you get 8 - 9 wrong. In my practice tests I was scoring 45+ in Quant with 10 - 12 wrong. The key is to keep going and not worrying.
- Also don’t worry if you get a random/easy question. In the last 1/3 of my Quant section I got the question: if the diameter of circle is 8 cms, what is its area! I thought I must have really screwed up to get a question as easy as this.

The last but by no means least, don’t make the mistake of NOT practicing with GMATPrep. I didn’t use it first time around and realized the big mistake that I made. My last SC question was EXACTLY the same as one of the questions in the GMATPrep software. That may be a rare occurrence, but outside of that, this is the closest thing both it terms of the fell and the quality of questions you will get on the real GMAT.

The following is a summary of my practice tests and scores:

MGMAT - 730 (9/3)
MGMAT - 700 (9/7)
MGMAT - 720 (9/9)
GMATp - 710 (9/12)
GMATp - 720 (9/14)
GMATp - 730 (9/16)
GMATp - 770 (9/18)

So one step done, several more to go! Let me know if you have any questions, and I will try to answer them.

Also many thanks to this great community and all the moderators, you all always helped me when I was feeling down after a bad practice test!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 420 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2006, 22:58
Great job. That's an excellent verbal score for a non-native speaker. Solid improvement from your first attempt which should show adcoms that you are capable of assmilating information.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2006, 05:33
Great job DJM! Your prep strategy as well as your score are similar to mine. Any idea where you want to apply?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2006, 16:20
Thanks for sharing your study strategy with us. Please tell how you dealt with your first score in order to get back and get such a great score? On my first try I have received 660, however I am questioning myself, where I could've gone wrong, how to shake it off, adjust my studying and improve my score next month. I will take note of study tips you've left, but could you describe what mental preparations you did for your 2nd exam?

:woohoo
Manager
Manager
Schools: Olin Business School - Washington University
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2006, 08:32
Absolutely sick V score for a non-native speaker...well done.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2006, 09:32
OK I have been wondering this for a while... How do the scaled scores relate to the overall score? This poster said he got a Q46 v44 and a 730. Another guy said he got a Q46 V45 and got a 720. How does one score 1 point higher on verbal and yet 10 points lower overall??? Am I missing something easy here?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2006, 17:19
EconGirl wrote:
Great job DJM! Your prep strategy as well as your score are similar to mine. Any idea where you want to apply?

Hi EconGirl,

I am thinking of applying to the Harvard, Wharton, Columbia and maybe Chicago/Stanford. I know they are all top schools and my score is not the most stellar, but I am off the opinion that if I am going to leave my job and invest two whole years into getting a MBA, it should be well worth it.

Let me know what your plans are. Also I am assuming that you are shooting for R2, right?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2006, 17:26
Nsentra wrote:
Thanks for sharing your study strategy with us. Please tell how you dealt with your first score in order to get back and get such a great score? On my first try I have received 660, however I am questioning myself, where I could've gone wrong, how to shake it off, adjust my studying and improve my score next month. I will take note of study tips you've left, but could you describe what mental preparations you did for your 2nd exam?

:woohoo

Nsentra,

What really motivated me was visiting some of these schools. In the last couple of months I visisted Harvard, Wharton and Columbia. The energy that I felt, the people that I met and the classes that I attended solidified my resolve of in getting into one of these schools. Also (it might sould a little hooky) but every time I would get distracted or disheatened, I would start writing about why I really want to do a MBA and why I need to get into top schools.

Its activities like these that really helped me focus and not loose track. Once you have that going, you need to focus on your weaknesses. You might already know this, but a slight increase in Verbal makes a big difference on ones overal score. Since Verbal was my weak point anyways, I kept focusing on Verbal. Once my score started improving, the positive results were a big factor in re-inforcing my resolve to get a high 700s.

Hope these tips help.
  [#permalink] 06 Oct 2006, 17:26