Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 06:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Completing OG12 Problems: In Order or by Question Type?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Completing OG12 Problems: In Order or by Question Type? [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 18:31
Hi,

I would really like the advice of experienced GMAT-takers! I'm about a month away from my test date and I'm aiming for 750+. I've already completed all 8 MGMAT guides and the OG Verbal and OG Quant supplemental guides. I did those questions by type along with each MGMAT guide. I saved OG12 for later on the advice of members of this board. With a month left, now is the time for me to complete OG12. I intend to do each and every problem in the book.

Should I do the problems in order (sets of 37), or should I do the problems by type (do all problems of a particular type at once)?

OG12 is one of the most valuable resources for studying for the GMAT, so I don't want to waste it by using it the wrong way! I know that doing a mixture of problem types is important because that's how it will appear on the GMAT. However, I feel like that's what practice CATs, GMAT Club Challenges, and GMATPrep are for. Also, there are not too many sources of GMAT questions that you can separate out the questions by type (like the Guide to the OG12 Tracker spreadsheet from this website allows you to do!) I guess I am leaning toward doing the problems in OG12 by type, but does anyone think otherwise? Or perhaps doing the math problems by type, but doing the verbal problems in order? Other suggestions?

Thank you for your opinion!

Last edited by username123 on 10 Jul 2010, 07:27, edited 1 time in total.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 177

Kudos [?]: 931 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Completing OG 12 Problems: In Order or by Question Type? [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 18:39
Since you have already completed OG verbal and quant guides for each question type. It is the right time to solve them in the order with 15 questions from each verbal and 20 from each quant section.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 7

Re: Completing OG 12 Problems: In Order or by Question Type? [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2010, 07:13
Is there a thread on various approaches to studying the OG?
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Completing OG 12 Problems: In Order or by Question Type? [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 07:58
gurpreetsingh wrote:
Since you have already completed OG verbal and quant guides for each question type. It is the right time to solve them in the order with 15 questions from each verbal and 20 from each quant section.

thanks for your response. is there any downside to doing the questions in sets of 37 and 41 to replicate the exam experience?

anyone else have an opinion on solving the questions by type (as in the back of the mgmat books) or in order?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2235

Kudos [?]: 8395 [0], given: 3646

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Completing OG12 Problems: In Order or by Question Type? [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 08:10
Expert's post
I don't think any way is a wrong way to do it - really depends on the learning style.

What do you mean sets 37 and 41 - official paper tests?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2235

Kudos [?]: 8395 [0], given: 3646

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Completing OG 12 Problems: In Order or by Question Type? [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 08:10
Expert's post
nonameee wrote:
Is there a thread on various approaches to studying the OG?

There is this one: gmat-club-guide-to-the-gmat-official-guide-12th-ed-85956.html?highlight=ml517

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Completing OG12 Problems: In Order or by Question Type? [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 08:14
bb wrote:
I don't think any way is a wrong way to do it - really depends on the learning style.

What do you mean sets 37 and 41 - official paper tests?

no, not the paper tests. i meant completing og12 by doing 37 math problems at a time and 41 verbal problems at a time to practice my pacing and endurance. (i would only do this if i do the problems in order).
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 85

Kudos [?]: 478 [0], given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Completing OG12 Problems: In Order or by Question Type? [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 11:33
Expert's post
username123 wrote:
is there any downside to doing the questions in sets of 37 and 41 to replicate the exam experience?

Try to mimic actual test conditions as much as possible. There is no downside to your approach, as long as you complete and fully understand each question and answer. With only one month left, it's time for the OG and GMATClub Tests. Don't underestimate the latter, as they are extremely difficult and will wear you out.

You will be surprised at how quickly this month flies by, so please get started immediately. And don't forget the GMATPrep Tests!

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Completing OG12 Problems: In Order or by Question Type? [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 11:44
thanks for your advice, bmillan. i've done 3 gmatclub tests so far, and 2 practice cat's. i intend to complete as many gmatclub tests and cat's (including gmat prep) as possible between now and my test date. given that i will be doing gmatclub and cat's as extra practice, do you think i should do og12 in order (assortment of question types) or by specific problem types (as outlined by MGMAT)?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 478 [1] , given: 431

Re: Completing OG12 Problems: In Order or by Question Type? [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 13:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Complete and review one GMATClub Test per day so you can finish on time and still have two or three days to relax before the exam. If you are determined to attempt a 750 score, then these tests are essential.

I didn't do any OG questions until I completely finished the MGMAT math books. I did the questions in order. In hindsight, this wasn't the best strategy for me. Go ahead and do the suggested problems. That way, if you have any trouble, then you know exactly which section to review in the Manhattan books. It also helps to reinforce the concepts learned. Finish any remaining OG questions afterward.

But here's something very important: if you find that you are not comfortable with this, then by all means switch strategies and complete the questions in order. We're all different, and it's important to adjust our studies to our own style.

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Completing OG12 Problems: In Order or by Question Type? [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2010, 09:01
i like your suggestion. i think i will do all problems except the last ~50 by type. then, i will do the last ~50 in order. thanks for your responses!

i've done 5 of the gmat club tests, but i don't think i will have enough time to complete many more considering that i want to complete og12, the gmat paper tests, 3 mgmat cat's (math only?), and 4 gmatpreps + 4 gmatprep reinstalls before the test.

i guess i could switch out the gmat paper tests and do the gmat club challenges instead...does anyone have an opinion on which of these is better to practice with 2 weeks before the test?
Expert Post
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 478 [0], given: 431

Re: Completing OG12 Problems: In Order or by Question Type? [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2010, 10:05
Expert's post
username123 wrote:
does anyone have an opinion on which of these is better to practice with 2 weeks before the test?

I only used the verbal portions on the MGMAT online tests. I was too busy with other quant question sources.

25 GMATClub Tests are better than an overload of OG problems. After completing the OG 12th Edition and OG Quant, focus on the GMATClub Tests. And two GMATPrep CAT's should be enough.

Re: Completing OG12 Problems: In Order or by Question Type?   [#permalink] 21 Jul 2010, 10:05