Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 01:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Computational analyses of data is used for the construction

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 91

Kudos [?]: 388 [3] , given: 0

Computational analyses of data is used for the construction [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2010, 01:31
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

54% (01:55) correct 46% (01:09) wrong based on 151 sessions
Computational analyses of data is used for the construction of models of neural processes; these models are not intended to represent actual neurological systems.

A. Computational analyses of data is used for the construction of models of neural processes; these models are not intended to represent actual neurological systems.

B. Models of neural processes are constructed by computational analyses of data, and it is not intended to represent actual neurological systems.

C. Computational analyses of data are used to construct models of neural processes; these models are not intended to represent actual neurological systems.

D. Computational analysis of data is used to construct models of neural processes and are not intended for the representation of actual neurological systems.

E. Models of neural processes and that are not intended to represent actual neurological systems are constructed by using computational analyses of data.

Sarai
GMAT Verbal Instructor at http://www.linkedin.com/company/ofek-gmat/online-gmat-tutoring-22305743/product?trk=biz_product
Email me at saraiyaseen@gmail.com

If this helped, kindly give Kudos! :wink:

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 91

Kudos [?]: 388 [1] , given: 0

Re: GMAX Challenge Question [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 09:40
This post received
KUDOS
Nice job...

Computational analyses of data is used for the construction of models of neural processes; these models are not intended to represent actual neurological systems.

A. Computational analyses of data is used for the construction of models of neural processes; these models are not intended to represent actual neurological systems.
A. "Analyses" is a plural subject and does not match the singular verb "is." Second, "for the construction of" is wordy.

B. Models of neural processes are constructed by computational analyses of data, and it is not intended to represent actual neurological systems.
B. Passive voice, "models… are constructed… by analyses", is stylistically weak and usually incorrect in the GMAT SC.

C. Computational analyses of data are used to construct models of neural processes; these models are not intended to represent actual neurological systems.
C. Correct. "Analyses… are…" maintains subject-verb agreement, the infinitive "to construct" is concise, and, lastly, "intended to" is idiomatically correct.

D. Computational analysis of data is used to construct models of neural processes and are not intended for the representation of actual neurological systems.
D. "Analysis" is a singular subject, and the second verb "are" is plural.

E. Models of neural processes and that are not intended to represent actual neurological systems are constructed by using computational analyses of data.
E. As in B, passive voice is used incorrectly. Second, the prepositional phrase "of neural processes" is not parallel to the relative clause "that are not intended…"

Sarai
GMAT Verbal Instructor at http://www.linkedin.com/company/ofek-gmat/online-gmat-tutoring-22305743/product?trk=biz_product
Email me at saraiyaseen@gmail.com

If this helped, kindly give Kudos! :wink:

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 12

Re: GMAX Challenge Question [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2010, 01:40
C of me too ..

This was simple enough .. thanks for the question and the explanations ..
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 3

Re: GMAX Challenge Question [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 11:34
Analyses - plural subject
hence verb has to be plural.

Hence correct answer choice is C.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 7

Re: GMAX Challenge Question [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2010, 02:51
C for me too..
Both the independent clauses seem correct..

Gotta hit the 700 score this time... 3rd time lucky !
Give me some kudos... Like you, even I need them badly ;)

VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 13

Re: GMAX Challenge Question [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2010, 07:22
What level would you ascribe this question to Sarai Ma'am?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 12

Re: GMAX Challenge Question [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 19:00
SaraiGMAXonline wrote:

Learned a new idiom - "intended to"
Answer should be C.

Thanks and Regards,
GM.

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: None
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.01
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 33

Re: GMAX Challenge Question [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 19:15
B -out--- use of "it" is ambiguous
C - out-- use of "are" for singular computational analyses is wrong
E - out --"intended to represent" changes the meaning of the sentence

A & D: "used for" seems more logical than "used to". We cannot construct a model using a data(Can we?) . We can only use data analysis as an input to create models.

Therefore A looks good. :-D

Revise my answer to C after reading the explanations. Totally tricked me. :cry:
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

Re: GMAX Challenge Question [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2011, 21:36
Chose A but a new idiom and plural phrase learnt:)
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 16

Re: GMAX Challenge Question [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2011, 23:22
Is analyses plural or singular?

i believe its singular because analyses is which something we come into some conclusion so we don't have two conclusions.so i think A should be the answer

If u say analyses is plural then C is the answer.......

Plz explain me.....

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 16

Re: GMAX Challenge Question [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2011, 18:48
kotela wrote:
Is analyses plural or singular?

i believe its singular because analyses is which something we come into some conclusion so we don't have two conclusions.so i think A should be the answer

If u say analyses is plural then C is the answer.......

Plz explain me.....

I googled the same and i came to know

Analysis is singular

Analyses is plural

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 110

Re: Computational analyses of data is used for the construction [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2011, 21:31
Clearly C.

Plural "analyses" requires "are".

Is this really 700-level?
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 51

Re: Computational analyses of data is used for the construction [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 03:31
Between A and C I chose C,as analyses was plural and S-V agreement was satisfied by C.
Re: Computational analyses of data is used for the construction   [#permalink] 10 Jan 2012, 03:31