Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 04:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

adflfg dgjdsg

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: concerned about time to complete my graduate degree [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2011, 22:16
Expert's post
Hi deeptiprof:

It will not necessarily look bad that you took five years to complete your graduate degree. Admissions committees understand that you are working full-time and will only have a limited amount of time to devote to your studies.

A very good graduate GPA will help offset a lower undergraduate GPA, but only to a certain extent. This "extent is really up to how much leniency the admissions committee chairs to extend to you. The amount of leniency they will extend is primarily based on compensating factors such as a solid graduate GPA and excellent GMAT performance, but it also relies substantially on other factors. These factors include your "likability factor. Basically if the admissions committee likes you based on the stories you tell and the insight you have gained from your experiences they will extend to you and even greater deference than just simply a great GMAT score and solid graduate GPA. You have to make them like you through what you have to say -- that is the bottom line.

The important thing to remember is that you will be competing against a number of other candidates who on paper look incredibly similar to you -- except for the fact they will not have had performance issues at their undergraduate institution. So while it is a about you versus the admissions committee, to a greater extent it is really about you versus your applicant subgroup. Put yourself in the shoes of the admissions committee if they have 10 other candidates just like you why should they give that last spot to you? This is why the essays are so critically important in the essays I believe, in your case, will be your saving grace.

So what can you at this point? You really need to explain your undergraduate performance in the optional essay -- of course. But really, the only excuse for lower grades as an undergraduate is based on valid competing interests. So if you have to work full-time in support of your studies because you come from a socio-economically disadvantaged background, then that could be a legitimate excuse. If you have something acute happen to you, such as a severe illness (you or someone in your family), then that could also serve as a legitimate excuse. Just make sure that you explain the circumstances and do not beg or plead with the admissions committee. Do not let them figure out what happened, but let them draw their own conclusions.

another point that I wanted to address, your seven years of work experience does help and weighting your GPA slightly less, but it is not enough to turn your 2.88 into a 3.88.

I hope this helps.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes

adflfg dgjdsg

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: PaulLanzillotti

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap