Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 21:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Concerned about various forms of workplace harassment, a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 50 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Concerned about various forms of workplace harassment, a [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 09:18
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Concerned about various forms of workplace harassment, a city attorney’s office instituted a publicity campaign last year encouraging victims of such harassment to come forward and file reports of the harassment. During the year following the inception of the publicity campaign, the frequency of harassment reports filed with the city attorney’s office tripled. The publicity campaign has therefore been successful, in that it has inspired more victims of workplace harassment to pursue their complaints.

Which of the following most seriously weakens the conclusion of the passage above?

a) The increase in harassment complaints has consisted almost exclusively of additional complaints of racial harassment; complaints of other varieties of harassment have not increased significantly.

b) Although the number of complaints has tripled, the number of complaints that have resulted in successful prosecutions or civil penalties for the harassers has not increased significantly.

c) Many individuals who have brought complaints within the past year were previously unaware that the behavior to which they had been subjected was regarded legally as harassment.

d) The publicity campaign has emphasized the fact that there will be no legal reprisals or other negative consequences for complainants whose complaints are deemed false or invalid.

e) The city attorney’s office originally instituted the campaign in response to falling numbers of workplace harassment complaints.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA Institute (CFA Candiate), Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (CA Candiate), Chartered Alternative Investments Analysts Association (CAIA Candidate)
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Research (Investment Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1

Re: workplace harassment CR [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2011, 06:34
Nah, still studying for the GMAT. :)

Please KUDOS generously if you feel I've been of service. :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 46

Re: workplace harassment CR [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2011, 10:26
I know OA is D but I prefer "A".. Here is why... Please correct my reasoning.

Conclusion - The publicity campaign was successful because frequency of harassment reports filed with the city attorney’s office tripled.

We've to find - statement which most seriously weakens the conclusion.

My Answer - The compaign was for "workplace harassment" but reports for "harassment" (not workplace harassment) tripled. The increase was mostly consisted of additional complaints of racial harassment; complaints of other varieties of harassment have not increased significantly. Hence, reports for "workplace harassment" didn't increase much. This weakens the conclusion.

Please correct my reasoning.

Cheers,
Aj.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: workplace harassment CR [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2011, 08:19
Sorry for bother you guys..but can someone repond my above query. I picked option A.

Thanks for your time guys.!!

Cheers,
Aj.

What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!

Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA Institute (CFA Candiate), Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (CA Candiate), Chartered Alternative Investments Analysts Association (CAIA Candidate)

Re: workplace harassment CR [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2011, 10:57
I agree with your reasoning, but I think you have to consider that something like "racial harassment" can occur in the workplace as well. I'm not sure that "workplace" vs. "racial" are two mutually exclusive groups. I agree that if you decided to treat them separately, that your reasoning would make sense. Hope that helps a bit. :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: workplace harassment CR [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2011, 16:36
Sovjet wrote:
I agree with your reasoning, but I think you have to consider that something like "racial harassment" can occur in the workplace as well. I'm not sure that "workplace" vs. "racial" are two mutually exclusive groups. I agree that if you decided to treat them separately, that your reasoning would make sense. Hope that helps a bit. :)

Appreciate your time Sovjet :)

I'm considering "workplace harassment" and "racial harassment" two different thing. I'm saying that attorney compaign was to address "workplace harassment" but the harassment reports tripled and it was becasue of "racial harassment". This weakens the conclusion.

Does it makes sense?

Cheers,
Aj.

Intern
Intern

Re: workplace harassment CR [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2011, 20:10
Right. Like I said, if you consider racial and workplace harassment as mutually exclusive groups, then you have a valid point (in my opinion). However, I think the question is asking you to realize that racial harassment (as well as any other) can occur in the workplace.

In other words, "racial" describes the type of harassment, while "workplace" describes the location. Maybe we can get the OE for the official line of reasoning?

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 16

Re: workplace harassment CR [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2011, 22:58
D.+1
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: Concerned about various forms of workplace harassment, a [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2012, 00:27
Plz explain why not A?

Coz if complaints of workplace harrasment have not increased then this mission was failure!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 31

Re: Concerned about various forms of workplace harassment, a [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2012, 23:51
.....straight D ...............

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 24

Re: Concerned about various forms of workplace harassment, a [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 02:06
D because this suggest increase might be due to false complaints
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 46

Concerned about various forms of workplace harassment, a [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2013, 06:44
Concerned about various forms of workplace harassment, a city attorney’s office instituted a publicity campaign last year encouraging victims of such harassment to come forward and file reports of the harassment. During the year following the inception of the publicity campaign, the frequency of harassment reports filed with the city attorney’s office tripled. The publicity campaign has therefore been successful, in that it has inspired more victims of workplace harassment to pursue their complaints.

Which of the following most seriously weakens the conclusion of the passage above?
(A)The increase in harassment complaints has consisted almost exclusively of additional complaints of racial harassment; complaints of other varieties of harassment have not increased significantly.
(B)Although the number of complaints has tripled, the number of complaints that have resulted in successful prosecutions or civil penalties for the harassers has not increased significantly.
(C)Many individuals who have brought complaints within the past year were previously unaware that the behavior to which they had been subjected was regarded legally as harassment.¬
(D)The publicity campaign has emphasized the fact that there will be no legal reprisals or other negative consequences for complainants whose complaints are deemed false or invalid.
(E)The city attorney’s office originally instituted the campaign in response to falling numbers of workplace harassment complaints.

Need explanation...........why ans is d
Expert Post
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 926 [0], given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Concerned about various forms of workplace harassment, [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2013, 07:47
Expert's post
mun23 wrote:

(A)The increase in harassment complaints has consisted almost exclusively of additional complaints of racial harassment; complaints of other varieties of harassment have not increased significantly.
(B)Although the number of complaints has tripled, the number of complaints that have resulted in successful prosecutions or civil penalties for the harassers has not increased significantly.
(C)Many individuals who have brought complaints within the past year were previously unaware that the behavior to which they had been subjected was regarded legally as harassment.¬
(D)The publicity campaign has emphasized the fact that there will be no legal reprisals or other negative consequences for complainants whose complaints are deemed false or invalid.
(E)The city attorney’s office originally instituted the campaign in response to falling numbers of workplace harassment complaints.

Hi mun23,

Lets first simplify the stimulus,

Premises: City attorney's campaign encouraged victims of harassment to report it, then the filed reports increased.

Conclusion: Increase in the reports filed is because of the campaign.

This is a typical "cause and effect" argument. The cause is "attorney's campaign" and the effect is "increase in filed reports"

In most cases the choice that weakens a "cause and effect" argument is either

i) The one that shows that the causality is happening in the opposite direction i.e. the cause is the effect

or

ii) The one that shows that the effect is caused by a cause other than the one mentioned in the argument.

This answer choice is the second of the two weakeners types mentioned above. This choice shows that the effect i.e. "increase in filing of reports" is cause by a different cause i.e. "no negative consequences of complaints". If offenders will face little danger of being punished then they will be encouraged to harass and victimize even more people, so the likely cause of increase in harassment reports is due to this fact and not because of the campaign, thus, weakening our conclusion.

Hope this helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1262

Kudos [?]: 3505 [0], given: 185

Re: Concerned about various forms of workplace harassment, [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2013, 19:20
Expert's post
mun23 wrote:

Hi,

Let's first understand the argument.

Premises:

1. Attorney instituted a campaign to encourage victims to report incidents of harassment.
2. Next year, the number of harassment reports tripled

Conclusion: Campaign successful - because it has inspired more victims of workplace harassment to pursue their complaints (pay attention to the underlined word. It'll come in handy in understanding choice D)

Let's look at Option D:

(D)The publicity campaign has emphasized the fact that there will be no legal reprisals or other negative consequences for complainants whose complaints are deemed false or invalid. - Read the underlined parts carefully. What do they lead to? Will it make more people to file frivolous (false) harassment complaints? If yes, then the tripling of harassment reports doesn't necessarily mean that more victims are inspired to pursue their complaints; rather, it could mean that many more false complaints are being filed since people are not afraid anymore of the implications of filing false complaints. Thus, this weakens the conclusion.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 166

GMAT Tests User
Re: Concerned about various forms of workplace harassment, [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 03:08
egmat wrote:
mun23 wrote:

Hi,

Premises:

1. Attorney instituted a campaign to encourage victims to report incidents of harassment.

Conclusion: Campaign successful - because it has inspired more victims of workplace harassment to pursue their complaints (pay attention to the underlined word. It'll come in handy in understanding choice D)

Let's look at Option D:

(D)The publicity campaign has emphasized the fact that there will be no legal reprisals or other negative consequences for complainants whose complaints are deemed false or invalid. - Read the underlined parts carefully. What do they lead to? Will it make more people to file frivolous (false) harassment complaints? If yes, then the tripling of harassment reports doesn't necessarily mean that more victims are inspired to pursue their complaints; rather, it could mean that many more false complaints are being filed since people are not afraid anymore of the implications of filing false complaints. Thus, this weakens the conclusion.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

But I yet not convinced .
"The publicity campaign has emphasized the fact that there will be no legal reprisals or other negative consequences for complainants whose complaints are deemed false or invalid."

That means that it is because of the publicity campain only that the people came to know that there will be no legal reprisals or other negative consequences for complainants whose complaints are deemed false or invalid.
Hence indirectly the publicity campaign only helped the increase.. right ?

Please clarify

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Concerned about various forms of workplace harassment, [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 03:30
Practicegmat wrote:
egmat wrote:
mun23 wrote:

Hi,

Premises:

Let's look at Option D:

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

"The publicity campaign has emphasized the fact that there will be no legal reprisals or other negative consequences for complainants whose complaints are deemed false or invalid."

That means that it is because of the publicity campain only that the people came to know that there will be no legal reprisals or other negative consequences for complainants whose complaints are deemed false or invalid.

Please clarify

But the increase did not come from victims coming forward to complain about the cases. The increase came from something else (another cause) which is people knowing that there wont be and repercussions thereby harassing whoever they want.

X causes Y, but answer choice D says Z causes Y
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1262

Kudos [?]: 3505 [0], given: 185

Re: Concerned about various forms of workplace harassment, [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 03:33
Expert's post
Practicegmat wrote:

Please clarify

Hi,

The answer to your question is Yes. Directly or indirectly, the publicity campaign led to the increase in the number of complaints. I agree with this.

But does this means that more victims have filed complaints? I am asking this because the conclusion of the passage says "The publicity campaign has therefore been successful, in that it has inspired more victims of workplace harassment to pursue their complaints."

After reading option D, we can't be sure that more victims filed their complaints. Since the campaign so much emphasized that no action will be taken against frivolous complaints, the increase in the number of complaints was probably due to extraordinary increase in bogus complaints. In other words, probably, victims didn't file more complaints.

The above reasoning makes us unsure of the statement that the campaign was successful for the reason given. Therefore, this option weakens the conclusion.

Does this explanation make sense?

If it still doesn't help, let me know your specific problem with the reasoning above.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 103

Re: Concerned about various forms of workplace harassment, a [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2013, 08:47
I do have a question.
Why Not option C is correct.
"Many individuals who have brought complaints within the past year were previously unaware that the behavior to which they had been subjected was regarded legally as harassment."

From the premise : "a publicity campaign last year encouraging victims of such harassment to come forward and file reports of the harassment."

It nowhere tells that the campaign was meant to know whether a behavior is harassment or not. But it just encouraged people to file such cases.
Now C gives an alternative reason. People are now aware of what a harassment behavior is( not from this campaign..may be from some other campaigns)...and started filling complaints. So to conclude this campaign was successful is wrong.

Perfectly weakening... :think:

Please correct my thinking if i m wrong:)

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Concerned about various forms of workplace harassment, a [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2013, 09:45
Quote:
Concerned about various forms of workplace harassment,

I feel this has been overlooked in explanations to this question. The concern over workplace harassment is what lead to the campaign in the first place. Therefore, for the campaign to be a success it must also address the problem of workplace harassment.

(C) would actually be a strengthen answer. Regardless if the employees knew they were being harassed, harassment was taking place and the PR campaign helped them identify that they were being harassed.

(D) weakens because even though the numbers increased, the harassment behavior won't be addressed due to non-enforcement. It has done nothing to help the problem (and may even be the reason for increased harassment as noted in other posts in this thread)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 70

Re: Concerned about various forms of workplace harassment, a [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 22:23
All duplicate threads on this same topic are merged.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 10-31-2014
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Computer Hardware)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 34

CAT Tests
Re: Concerned about various forms of workplace harassment, a [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2014, 10:55
I believe this question should be under 600 level
Re: Concerned about various forms of workplace harassment, a   [#permalink] 30 Jan 2014, 10:55