Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 21:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Concerned that economic recovery is not as complete as

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 674 [1] , given: 781

Concerned that economic recovery is not as complete as [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2010, 12:14
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

55% (01:29) correct 45% (01:50) wrong based on 11 sessions
9. Concerned that economic recovery is not as complete as previously hoped, wealthier consumers have begun to limit travel, slowing investments, to decrease overall spending on nonessential items, creating further financial setbacks.

(A) have begun to limit travel, slowing investments, to decrease overall spending on nonessential items
(B) have begun to limit travel, slow investments, decrease overall nonessential spending
(C) have begun limiting travel, slow investing, and decrease overall spending on nonessential items
(D) have begun to limit travel and slow investments, decreasing nonessential spending overall and
(E) have begun to limit travel, slow investments, and decrease overall spending on nonessential items for
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 419 [0], given: 36

Re: SC 3: Economic Recovery [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2010, 20:41
Wreak havoc ! LOL

This SC is perfect example on modifiers and tracking the compounds.

limit x and y, +ing (decreasing and creating)

Please press kudos if you like my post.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 224 [0], given: 6

Re: SC 3: Economic Recovery [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2010, 07:19
I have requested TommyWallach to chime in and provide his invaluable inputs.
2 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 744 [2] , given: 11

Re: SC 3: Economic Recovery [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2010, 10:17
This post received
KUDOS
Hey All,

Seek tagged me in, so here I am!

9. Concerned that economic recovery is not as complete as previously hoped, wealthier consumers have begun to limit travel, slowing investments, to decrease overall spending on nonessential items, creating further financial setbacks.

OBVIOUSLY this is a parallelism issue, joined with a modifier issue (participles: -ing words, which modify the entire preceding clause, typically showing its result). We just need to find the answer that gets both of these right.

(A) have begun to limit travel, slowing investments, to decrease overall spending on nonessential items
PROBLEM: We can't say "to limit", "slowing", and then "to decrease". Those aren't parallel.

(B) have begun to limit travel, slow investments, decrease overall nonessential spending
PROBLEM: While "limit", "slow", and "decrease" are all parallel (the first "to" distributes, so you don't need to repeat it for each one), the list would then have to end (because the next thing after a comma is a participle). But that doesn't happen here, because we would need to see the word "and" before the word "decrease", signaling the end of the list.

(C) have begun limiting travel, slow investing, and decrease overall spending on nonessential items
PROBLEM: Now the list starts AFTER the word "limiting", as if we're limiting "travel" and "slow investing", which makes no sense.

(D) have begun to limit travel and slow investments, decreasing nonessential spending overall and
ANSWER: Now our first list has only two items in it "limit" and "slow". These two verbs are parallel. Then we get a parallel set of participles "decreasing" and "creating", which are also parallel. Notice also how the participles "decreasing" and "creating" do EXACTLY what I said they would, namely describe the RESULT of the previous clause (the limiting of travel and the slowing of investments).

(E) have begun to limit travel, slow investments, and decrease overall spending on nonessential items for
PROBLEM: The first few items are parallel: "limit" "slow" and "decrease". But now we have a prepositional modifier "for creating further financial setbacks", which appears to be modifying "items". This doesn't make any sense. Notice how the participial modifiers in answer choice D does exactly what I said it would, they describe the RESULTS of limiting travel and slowing investments (the preceding clause).

Hope that makes sense!

-tommy

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: SC 3: Economic Recovery [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2010, 10:29
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 7

Re: SC 3: Economic Recovery [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 21:25
Perfect Tommy.. :)

Gotta hit the 700 score this time... 3rd time lucky !
Give me some kudos... Like you, even I need them badly ;)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC 3: Economic Recovery [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 23:22
is the comma underlined as well?If not it'll read like this:
Concerned that economic recovery is not as complete as previously hoped, wealthier consumers have begun to limit travel and slow investments, decreasing nonessential spending overall and, creating further financial setbacks.

That doesn't feel right IMO. Can someone enlighten me?
Re: SC 3: Economic Recovery   [#permalink] 08 Sep 2010, 23:22