Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 00:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Concerns about public health led to the construction between

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

Concerns about public health led to the construction between [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2011, 14:41
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (01:46) correct 33% (00:16) wrong based on 18 sessions
Concerns about public health led to the construction between 1876 and 1904 of three separate sewer systems to serve metropolitan Boston
(a)
(b) Concerns about public health have led to the construction of three separate sewer systems between 1876 and 1904 to serve
(c) Concerns about public health have led between 1876 and 1904 to the construction of three separate sewer systems for serving
(d) There were concerns about public health leading to the construction between 18776 and 1903 of three separate sewer systems serving
(e) There were concerns leading between 1876 and 1904 to the construction of three separate sewer systems for serving
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UC Berkley, UCLA

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 66

Re: GMAT Prep Concerns about public health [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2011, 06:35
daryayurlova wrote:
Concerns about public health led to the construction between 1876 and 1904 of three separate sewer systems to serve metropolitan Boston
(a)
(b) Concerns about public health have led to the construction of three separate sewer systems between 1876 and 1904 to serve
(c) Concerns about public health have led between 1876 and 1904 to the construction of three separate sewer systems for serving
(d) There were concerns about public health leading to the construction between 18776 and 1903 of three separate sewer systems serving
(e) There were concerns leading between 1876 and 1904 to the construction of three separate sewer systems for serving

Yes A is correct because of misplaced modifiers and verb tense reasons.
D and E are out. D b/c this sentence tells you that the occurrence (leading) happened in the past (b/n 1876 and 1903) so leading should be led instead (Same reason for eliminating E as well).
E can also be eliminated b/c a clearer sentence can be created when "leading" is placed closer to the phrase "to the construction of three separate sewer systems". Not to say that the verb tense leading is correct, by the way.
C is out b/c have led is not the correct verb tense that should be used here. You are trying to convey that that action happened and ended in the past, no that it continues to the present. SO you must use led. For that same reason you can eliminate B.

HTH

Thank you for your kudoses Everyone!!!

"It always seems impossible until its done."
-Nelson Mandela

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 4

Re: GMAT Prep Concerns about public health [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2011, 06:52
This post received
KUDOS
mariyea wrote:
D and E are out. D b/c this sentence tells you that the occurrence (leading) happened in the past (b/n 1876 and 1903) so leading should be led instead (Same reason for eliminating E as well).
HTH

How would you use led with the sentence structure as in D ?... Putting which after health? But then modifier issue would arise... In fact, i went for D beacuse i thought that leading is used here as a participle, which modifies concerns about public health ... But seems i can't do that when i am restrained by time frame in the past ..... hmmm ...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UC Berkley, UCLA

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 66

Re: GMAT Prep Concerns about public health [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2011, 06:59
daryayurlova wrote:
mariyea wrote:
HTH

How would you use led with the sentence structure as in D ?... Putting which after health? But then modifier issue would arise... In fact, i went for D beacuse i thought that leading is used here as a participle, which modifies concerns about public health ... But seems i can't do that when i am restrained by time frame in the past ..... hmmm ...

You know I didn't notice that ... but (IMHO) I don' think that it was meant to be used as a participle.
But there is another reason why D is wrong, "There were concerns about public health leading to the construction between 18776 and 1903 of three separate sewer systems serving" serving is used here to express purpose which is not supposed to be the case. To serve is the proper way that you can express that idea.
Nice going with pointing out the participle though. :cool

Thank you for your kudoses Everyone!!!

"It always seems impossible until its done."
-Nelson Mandela

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: SPG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 292 [1] , given: 20

Re: GMAT Prep Concerns about public health [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2011, 23:18
This post received
KUDOS

D is out because it changes the meaning.

Original: concerns led to the construction
D: there were some concerns leading to the construction

concerns about public health LED to the construction .. not some of these concerns.

The following examples will make the point clearer.
all students play games.
there are students who play games.

press kudos, if you like the explanation, appreciate the effort or encourage people to respond.

Download the Ultimate SC Flashcards

Re: GMAT Prep Concerns about public health   [#permalink] 29 Jan 2011, 23:18