Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619016 [5]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 485 [0]
Given Kudos: 839
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
Schools: IIMA PGPX'23
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39 (Online)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Re: Concerns of over-population in country XYZ led to government funded bi [#permalink]
I chose B over A only because A describes population in general, while B explicitly states parents.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 312
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 2.87
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Concerns of over-population in country XYZ led to government funded bi [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
Concerns of over-population in country XYZ led to government funded birth-control initiatives that proved ineffective in curbing population growth. It has been suggested that these initiatives failed due to the traditionally high value placed on male children within the culture of XYZ.

Which of the following best explains the reasoning behind the suggestion described in the second sentence?

A. The population of country XYZ believes that birth control increases the probability of conceiving females.
B. Since every parent wishes to produce a male child, they will avoid birth control until they conceive a male.
C. Birth Control initiatives are typically only successful in female dominated cultures.
D. Cultures that place high values on male children do not respond well to government funded initiatives.
E. The citizens of country XYZ are not concerned with the possibility of over-population.

If every parent wants a male child, thus, they will not follow any government initiative until they produce a male child which in lead to an increase the country population.

Therefore, below is the right answer:
B. Since every parent wishes to produce a male child, they will avoid birth control until they conceive a male.

D is tempting to answer, but it is not stated that parents will try to produce a male child!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 485 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
AndrewN, would love to hear your take on this.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [3]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
kntombat wrote:
Isn't B an example of an extreme answer? I had narrowed my answers down to A and B but I eliminated B because it was written as a fact.
Can anyone help me out here?

Hello, kntombat. I remember this question from last week, when I had thought to respond to your initial query. This is a case in which I wish Veritas Prep could better mimic the phrasing of official questions, something that I believe may be prohibited by copyright law. An official question would likely drop in a crucial if true into the question stem, as in, Which of the following, if true, best explains...

Choice (A) looks decent. If a population favors male births and believes that birth control will increase the probability of conceiving females, then members of that population might have a compelling reason to avoid birth control, and the government-funded birth control initiatives might indeed fail. But is this the best answer? Probability is not absolute.

Choice (B) does indeed deal in extremes, but if it is true that every parent wants a male child and will avoid birth control until a male is conceived, then we are no longer dealing in probabilities, but in a definitive outcome. In this case, X will lead to Y, which will in turn lead to Z, the failed initiatives (unless a lot of males happen to be born to first-time parents). This is a safer answer than (A).

Choice (C) introduces a concern about the population of XYZ that we have no information about in the passage. It should be an easy one to see off.

Choice (D) does not touch on either birth control or curbing population growth, but attacks government-funded initiatives instead. This is another could-be-true consideration, like (A). I cannot say that it could not be the reason behind the failed initiatives, but again, does it present the strongest case?

Choice (E) follows the popular opinion on overpopulation, which has nothing to do with the initiatives.

I do not like to criticize questions that others have put a lot of thought and effort into, and I think Veritas Prep material is generally of high quality. In this case, though, I feel as though the missing if true opens the door to confusion. The hardest answer to argue against if that phrase were dropped in is (B), and that is what compelled me to choose it the first time.

I hope that helps. Thank you for thinking to ask me.

- Andrew
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 485 [0]
Send PM
AndrewN, thank you for your prompt response and always coming through.
I hope you and your family are safe and sound.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
kntombat wrote:
Isn't B an example of an extreme answer? I had narrowed my answers down to A and B but I eliminated B because it was written as a fact.
Can anyone help me out here?

Hello, kntombat. I remember this question from last week, when I had thought to respond to your initial query. This is a case in which I wish Veritas Prep could better mimic the phrasing of official questions, something that I believe may be prohibited by copyright law. An official question would likely drop in a crucial if true into the question stem, as in, Which of the following, if true, best explains...

Choice (A) looks decent. If a population favors male births and believes that birth control will increase the probability of conceiving females, then members of that population might have a compelling reason to avoid birth control, and the government-funded birth control initiatives might indeed fail. But is this the best answer? Probability is not absolute.

Choice (B) does indeed deal in extremes, but if it is true that every parent wants a male child and will avoid birth control until a male is conceived, then we are no longer dealing in probabilities, but in a definitive outcome. In this case, X will lead to Y, which will in turn lead to Z, the failed initiatives (unless a lot of males happen to be born to first-time parents). This is a safer answer than (A).

Choice (C) introduces a concern about the population of XYZ that we have no information about in the passage. It should be an easy one to see off.

Choice (D) does not touch on either birth control or curbing population growth, but attacks government-funded initiatives instead. This is another could-be-true consideration, like (A). I cannot say that it could not be the reason behind the failed initiatives, but again, does it present the strongest case?

Choice (E) follows the popular opinion on overpopulation, which has nothing to do with the initiatives.

I do not like to criticize questions that others have put a lot of thought and effort into, and I think Veritas Prep material is generally of high quality. In this case, though, I feel as though the missing if true opens the door to confusion. The hardest answer to argue against if that phrase were dropped in is (B), and that is what compelled me to choose it the first time.

I hope that helps. Thank you for thinking to ask me.

- Andrew

Hey AndrewN, I have another thought on A. Don't you think it's weird for a birth control measure to increases the probability of conceiving at all? A birth control measure shouldn't be increasing the possibility of conceiving. Not sure if we can reject A on this entirely, but it sure makes it worse than B IMO.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
Brian123 wrote:
Hey AndrewN, I have another thought on A. Don't you think it's weird for a birth control measure to increases the probability of conceiving at all? A birth control measure shouldn't be increasing the possibility of conceiving. Not sure if we can reject A on this entirely, but it sure makes it worse than B IMO.

Yes, Brian123, I agree, but that is a real-world consideration rather than one that we can derive from the passage. Furthermore, the answer choice does not say that taking the government-issued birth control will increase the probability of conceiving females, just that people in country XYZ believe as much. Beliefs can most certainly run contrary to facts. When I take on CR questions, I am careful to separate what I know from real life (in most cases, common knowledge excepted) from what the passage tells me directly. Before I learned to place stock almost exclusively in the latter, I thought CR was an arbitrary mess, a guessing game with glaring inconsistencies. But then I took it upon myself to study why I was going wayward, and I figured out that I was attempting to force my projection of what a logical answer might be onto the passage rather than working from the ground up with nothing more than what I was told. My accuracy jumped thereafter, so that is what I tell others to do.

Anyway, thank you for following up. I hope that my response may help a little in your continued preparation for the test.

- Andrew
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
Brian123 wrote:

Yes, Brian123, I agree, but that is a real-world consideration rather than one that we can derive from the passage. Furthermore, the answer choice does not say that taking the government-issued birth control will increase the probability of conceiving females, just that people in country XYZ believe as much. Beliefs can most certainly run contrary to facts. When I take on CR questions, I am careful to separate what I know from real life (in most cases, common knowledge excepted) from what the passage tells me directly. Before I learned to place stock almost exclusively in the latter, I thought CR was an arbitrary mess, a guessing game with glaring inconsistencies. But then I took it upon myself to study why I was going wayward, and I figured out that I was attempting to force my projection of what a logical answer might be onto the passage rather than working from the ground up with nothing more than what I was told. My accuracy jumped thereafter, so that is what I tell others to do.

Anyway, thank you for following up. I hope that my response may help a little in your continued preparation for the test.

- Andrew

Thanks AndrewN, I was indeed going by common sense rather than by what I know. But I didn't consider the fact that the option says that people "believe" something, not that it will actually happen. And like you said, beliefs can be contrary to facts. Thanks for clearing that up and for all the advice. I hope I'm able emulate that approach.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts