Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:39 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618971 [301]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618971 [25]
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618971 [24]
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618971 [21]
Send PM
Re: Probability Made Easy! [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Using Symmetry in Probability on the GMAT

BY Brian Galvin, VERITAS PREP

We know that Combinatorics and Probability are tricky topics. It is easy to misinterpret questions of these topics and get the incorrect answer – which, unfortunately, we often find in the options, giving us a false sense of accomplishment.

In many questions, we need to account for different cases one by one but we don’t really see such questions on the GMAT since we have limited time. Also, we don’t tire of repeating this again and again – GMAT questions are more reasoning based than calculation intensive. Usually, there will be an intellectual method to solve every GMAT question – a method that will help you solve it in seconds.

We have discussed using symmetry in Combinatorics before. It can be used in many questions though most people don’t realize that. In our ongoing endeavor to expose you to intellectual methods, here we present how most people tackle a question and how you can tackle it instead to be in the top 1%ile.

Question: Let S be the set of permutations of the sequence 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 for which the first term is not 2. A permutation is chosen randomly from S. The probability that the second term is 5 is given by a/b (in lowest terms). What is a+b?

(A) 5
(B) 6
(C) 11
(D) 16
(E) 19

Solution:

Most Common Solution:

What are the permutations of sequence S? They are the different ways in which we can arrange the elements of S. For example, 3, 2, 4, 5, 6 or 4, 2, 3, 6, 5 or 6, 3, 4, 5, 2 etc

In how many different ways can we make the sequence? The first element can be chosen in 4 ways – one of 3, 4, 5 and 6. (You are given that 2 cannot be the first element).

The second element can be chosen in 4 ways (2 and the leftover 3 numbers).

The third element can be chosen in 3 ways.

The fourth element can be chosen in 2 ways.

And finally there will be only 1 element left for the last spot.

Number of ways of making set S = 4*4*3*2*1 = 96

In how many of these sets will 5 be in the second spot?

If 5 is reserved for the second spot, there are only 3 ways of filling the first spot (3 or 4 or 6).

The second spot has to be taken by 5.

The third element will be chosen in 3 ways (ignoring 5 and the first spot)

The fourth element can be chosen in 2 ways.

And finally there will be only 1 element left for the last spot.

Number of favorable cases = 3*1*3*2*1 = 18

Required Probability = Favorable Cases/Total Cases = 18/96 = 3/16 = a/b

a+b = 3 + 16 = 19

Answer (E) This question is discussed HERE.

Intellectual Approach:

Use a bit of logic of symmetry to solve this question without any calculations.

Set S would include all such sequences as 3, 2, 4, 5, 6 or 4, 2, 3, 6, 5 or 6, 3, 4, 5, 2 etc – starting with 3, with 4, with 5 or with 6 with equal probability.

By symmetry, note that 1/4th of them will start with 5 – which we need to ignore – so we are left with the rest of the 3/4th sequences.

Now, in these 3/4th sequences which start with either 3 or 4 or 6, 5 could occupy any one of the 4 positions – second, third, fourth or fifth with equal probability. So we need 1/4th of these sequences i.e. only those sequences in which 5 is in the second spot.

Probability that 5 is the second element of the sequence = (3/4)*(1/4) = 3/16

Therefore, a+b = 3+16 = 19

Answer (E)
General Discussion
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618971 [7]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
At (the very) Least You Should Know This About Probability

BY Brian Galvin, VERITAS PREP

Ah, autumn. The busiest GMAT season of the year as application deadlines and back-to-school nostalgia fill the air, and that season always coincides with Major League Baseball’s pennant races and playoffs. And whether you’re a baseball fan or not, as an aspiring MBA you’ll find a fair amount of overlap between the two, as both the GMAT (and business) and baseball prominently feature the art of probability.

Through that lens, let’s discuss one of the most helpful “tricks” to avoid some of the most time-consuming types of problems on the GMAT, and we’ll lead with a problem:

Whenever his favorite baseball team’s “closer” allows a hit, Sean becomes irate (just close out the game, Joe Nathan!). If the closer needs to get three outs to win the game, and each batter he will face has a .250 batting average (a 1/4 chance of getting a hit), what is the probability that he will give up at least one hit (assuming that there are no walks/errors/hit-batsmen)?

And for those not consumed with baseball, this question essentially asks “if outcome A has a 25% chance of occurring in any one event, what is the probability that outcome A will happen at least once during three consecutive events?”

Baseball makes for an excellent demonstration here, because if we take out the other “free base” situations, really only two things happen – a Hit or an Out. And since we need 3 Outs, we could have all kinds of sequences in which there is at least one hit:

Hit, Out, Out, Out

Out, Hit, Out, Out

Out, Out, Hit, Out

or episodes with multiple hits:

Out, Hit, Hit, Out, Out

Hit, Out, Hit, Out, Hit, Out

or even

Hit, Hit, Hit, Hit, Hit, Hit, Hit, Hit…(game called by mercy rule, Sean punches through his TV)

The GMAT-relevant point is this: when a problem asks you for the probability of “at least one” of a certain event occurring, there are usually several ways that at least one could occur. But look at it this way: the ONLY way that you don’t get “at least one” H is if all three Os come first. The opposite of “at least one” is “none.” And there’s only one way to get “none” – it’s “Not Event A” then “Not Event A” then “Not Event A”… as many times as it takes to finish out the number of events. In other words, in this baseball analogy, if there’s a 25% chance of a hit then there’s a 75% chance of “not a hit” or “Out”, allowing us to set up the ONLY sequence in which there isn’t at least one hit:

Out, Out, Out

Which has a probability of:

3/4 * 3/4 * 3/4

Do the math, and you’ll find that there’s a 27/64 probability of “not at least one hit” and you can then know that the other 37/64 outcomes are “at least one hit.”

To the baseball fan, that means “take it easy on your closer – .250 is a pretty lackluster batting average and that even takes out the chance of walks and errors, and even with *that* there’s a better-than-likely chance there will be baserunners in the 9th!”

To the GMAT student, this example means that when you see a probability question that asks for the probability of “at least one” you should almost always try to calculate it by taking the probability of “none” (which is just one sequence and not several) and subtract that from 1. So your process is:

1) Recognize that the problem is asking for the probability of “at least one” of event A.

2) Find the probability for “not A” in any one event

3) Calculate the probability of getting “not A” in all outcomes by multiplying the “not A” probability as many times as there are outcomes

4) Subtract that total from 1

(and #5 – make sure the problem doesn’t involve any unique probability-changing events like “if outcome A doesn’t happen in the first try then the probability increases to X% for the second try” – that kind of language is rare but does complicate things)

Probability factors into many autumn situations, so whether you’re a GMAT student or a baseball fan, if you know at least this one probability concept your autumn should be a lot less stressful!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618971 [19]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Probability with Conditions!

BY Karishma, VERITAS PREP

Let’s look at the concept of conditional probability in detail today. (As if the probability questions weren’t tricky enough!) But since I like to discuss advanced concepts in this blog (in addition to alternative approaches and very important fundamentals), it would not be fair on my part to end the probability discussion without a quick review of conditional probability. Let me start by tossing a question at you.

Question 1: Alex tosses a coin four times. On two of the tosses (we don’t know which two), he gets ‘Heads’. What is the probability that he gets ‘Tails’ on other two tosses?

Solution: Wait a minute! Isn’t it something like the Binomial Probability questions we saw last week? It is but notice that it is also a conditional probability question. You are given that on at least 2 tosses, he got ‘Heads’. Under this condition, you want to find the probability that he got 2 tails i.e. he got 2 heads and 2 tails on his 4 tosses.

Conditional Probability is calculated as given below:

P(A given B) = P(A)/P(B)

Here, we are trying to find the probability that event A happens given that event B happens. To understand this formula, think of it this way:

Say there are a total of 100 cases and event B takes place in 10 cases. Also, event A takes place in 5 of the 10 cases in which event B takes place (A is a more restricted event under event B). Let’s say we know that event B has taken place. This means that one of the 10 cases has occurred. The probability that A has taken place is 5/10 = 1/2 and not 5/100. I hope this makes sense to you. Let me take an example to make this clearer.

GMAT score can take one of 61 values (200/210/220 … 780/790/800). So there are a total of 61 cases. What is the probability that I will score above 700 on GMAT? (well, it should be 100% because otherwise I should not be writing blog posts on GMAT but let’s assume that all the scores are equally likely)

There are 10 possible scores above 700 (710/720/730 … 800). Probability of a score above 700 = 10/61. That is our simple probability that we have been working on till date.

Now, consider this: You know that I scored above 600. How much exactly, you do not know! What will you say is the probability that I scored above 700? (again assuming that all the scores are equally likely)

I did score above 600. Now, what is the probability that I scored above 700? There are 20 possible scores above 600 (610/620/630 … 800). Any of them could have been my score. What is the probability that I actually scored above 700? It is 10/20. The event that I scored more than 700 is event A. It is more restrictive than event B i.e. the event that I scored more than 600. Given that event B took place i.e. I scored above 600, the probability that event A took place i.e. I scored above 700 is P(Score above 700)/P(Score above 600). This is conditional probability.

I hope you see the difference between probability and conditional probability.

Let’s go back to the original question now.

We want to find this probability: P(‘2 Heads and 2 Tails’ given ‘At least 2 Heads’) = P(2 Heads and 2 Tails)/P(At least 2 Heads)

We can easily find P(2 Heads and 2 Tails) and P(At least 2 Heads) since we are comfortable with the concepts of binomial probability! (right?)

P(2 Heads and 2 Tails) = (1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2) * 4!/(2!*2!) = 3/8
You multiply by 4!/(2!*2!) because out of the four tosses, any 2 could be heads and the other two would be tails. So you have to account for all arrangements: HHTT, HTHT, TTHH etc

P(Atleast 2 Heads) = P(2 Heads and 2 Tails) + P(3 Heads, 1 Tails) + P(4 Heads)

Let me remind you here that we can also find P(Atleast 2 Heads) in the reverse way like this:

P(Atleast 2 Heads) = 1 – [P(4 Tails) + P(3 Tails, 1 Heads)]

Let me show you the calculations involved in both the methods.

P(2 Heads and 2 Tails) = 3/8 (calculated above)

P(3 Heads, 1 Tails) = (1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2) * 4!/3! = 1/4

We multiply by 4!/3! to account for all arrangements e.g. HHHT, HHTH etc

P(4 Heads) = (1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2) = 1/16

P(Atleast 2 Heads) = 3/8 + 1/4 + 1/16 = 11/16

OR

P(4 Tails) = (1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2) = 1/16

P(3 Tails, 1 Heads) = (1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2) * 4!/3! = 1/4

P(Atleast 2 Heads) = 1 – (1/16 + 1/4) = 11/16

As expected, the value of P(Atleast 2 Heads) is the same using either method.

P(‘2 Heads and 2 Tails’ given ‘At least 2 Heads’) = P(2 Heads and 2 Tails)/P(At least 2 Heads) = (3/8)/(11/16) = 6/11

Notice here that you can ignore all the (1/2)s since in every case, you get (1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2) because Heads and Tails have equal probability. You can simply solve this question using this method:

No of arrangements with 2 Heads and 2 Tails = 4!/(2!*2!) = 6

No of arrangements with 3 Heads and 1 Tails = 4!/3! = 4

No of arrangements with 4 Heads = 4!/4! = 1

No of arrangements with at least 2 Heads = 6 + 4 + 1 = 11

P(‘2 Heads and 2 Tails’ given ‘At least 2 Heads’) = 6/11

Out of the total number of arrangements of ‘At least 2 Heads’ (which is 11), only 6 are such that you get 2 Heads and 2 Tails.

Mind you, you cannot do that if the probabilities differ. Look at the question given below:

Question 2: Alex has five children. He has at least two girls (you do not know which two of his five children are girls). What is the probability that he has at least two boys too? (The probability of having a boy is 0.4 while the probability of having a girl is 0.6)

Think about what you are going to do here. We will look at the solution of this question in the next post.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618971 [11]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Probability with Conditions Part II

In the last post I left you with a conditional probability question. Let’s look at its solution now. This will be my last post on GMAT Combinatorics and Probability (for a while at least) until and unless you want me to take up a particular concept/question related to this topic. Next week, we will start a new topic.

Back to question at hand:

Question 2: Alex has five children. He has at least two girls (you do not know which two of her five children are girls). What is the probability that he has at least two boys too? (The probability of having a boy is 0.4 while the probability of having a girl is 0.6)

Solution:

We want to find this probability: P(‘At least 2 Boys and at least 2 Girls’ given ‘At least 2 Girls’) = P(At least 2 Boys and at least 2 Girls)/P(At least 2 Girls)

Let’s try and find P(At least 2 Boys and at least 2 Girls) and P(At least 2 Girls)

‘At least 2 Boys and at least 2 Girls’ can be obtained in two ways: ‘3 Boys and 2 Girls’ or ‘2 Boys and 3 Girls’

P(At least 2 Boys and at least 2 Girls) = P(3 Boys and 2 Girls) + P(2 Boys and 3 Girls)

\(P(2 \ Boys \ and \ 3 \ Girls) = 0.4*0.4*0.6*0.6*0.6 * \frac{5!}{(2!*3!)} = (0.4)^2 * (0.6)^3 * 10\)

You multiply by 5!/(2!*3!) because out of the five children, any 2 could be boys and the other three would be girls. So you have to account for all arrangements: BBGGG, BGBGG, GGBGB etc

\(P(3 \ Boys \ and \ 2 \ Girls) = 0.4*0.4*0.4*0.6*0.6 * \frac{5!}{(3!*2!)} = (0.4)^3 * (0.6)^2 * 10\)

\(P(At \ least \ 2 \ Boys \ and \ at \ least \ 2 \ Girls) = [(0.4)^2 * (0.6)^3 * 10] + [(0.4)^3 * (0.6)^2 * 10] = (0.4)^2 * (0.6)^2 *10 (0.6 + 0.4) = (1.6)(0.36)\)

Now that we have P(At least 2 Boys and at least 2 Girls), let’s focus on getting P(At least 2 Girls). Again, as we saw last week, there are 2 ways of arriving at P(At least 2 Girls).

P(At least 2 Girls) = P(2 Girls and 3 Boys) + P(3 Girls and 2 Boys) + P(4 Girls + 1 Boy) + P(5 Girls)

OR

P(At least 2 Girls) = 1 – P(5 Boys) – P(1 Girl and 4 Boys)

Let me show you the calculations involved in both the methods.

Method 1:

P(At least 2 Girls) = P(2 Girls and 3 Boys) + P(3 Girls and 2 Boys) + P(4 Girls + 1 Boy) + P(5 Girls)

\(P(2 \ Girls \ and \ 3 \ Boys) = (0.4)^3 * (0.6)^2 * 10\) (from above)

\(P(3 \ Girls \ and \ 2 \ Boys) = (0.4)^2 * (0.6)^3 * 10\) (from above)

\(P(4 \ Girls \ + \ 1 \ Boy) = (0.4)*(0.6) *(0.6)*(0.6)*(0.6)*5!/4! = (0.4) * (0.6)^4 * 5\)

\(P(5 \ Girls) = (0.6)*(0.6)*(0.6)*(0.6)*(0.6) = (0.6)^5\)

\(P(At \ least \ 2 \ Girls) = [(0.4)^3 * (0.6)^2 * 10] + [(0.4)^2 * (0.6)^3 * 10] + [(0.4) * (0.6)^4 * 5] + [(0.6)^5]\)

Method 2:

\(P(At \ least \ 2 \ Girls) = 1 – P(5 \ Boys) – P(1 \ Girl \ and \ 4 \ Boys)\)

\(P(5 \ Boys) = (0.4)* (0.4)* (0.4)* (0.4)* (0.4) = (0.4)^5\)

\(P(1 \ Girl \ and \ 4 \ Boys) = (0.6)* (0.4)*(0.4)*(0.4)*(0.4)*\frac{5!}{4!} = (0.6)*(0.4)^4 * 5\)

\(P(At \ least \ 2 \ Girls) = 1 – [(0.4)^5] – [(0.6)*(0.4)^4 * 5]\)

The values in bold are the same even if they don’t look same. (Trust me, I checked on my financial calculator!)

\(P(‘At \ least \ 2 \ Boys \ and \ at \ least \ 2 \ Girls’ \ given \ ‘At \ least \ 2 Girls’) = P(At \ least \ 2 \ Boys \ and \ at \ least \ 2 Girls)/P(At \ least \ 2 \ Girls)\)

\(P(‘At \ least \ 2 \ Boys \ and \ at \ least \ 2 \ Girls’ \ given \ ‘At \ least \ 2 Girls’) = \frac{(1.6)(0.36)}{[1 – (0.4)^5 – (0.6)*(0.4)^4 * 5]}\)

Even though the solution looks complicated, I hope you see that the approach is quite logical and straight forward.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618971 [7]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Pairs Probability (And How You Can Use It to Win Super Bowl Bets)

People are generally pretty bad at pairs probability.

Here’s an example – if you were to bet a friend on “will this year’s Super Bowl champion repeat as next year’s Super Bowl champion?”, your friend might see the *random* odds as 1/64 (since the GMAT only deals in random probability, we’ll take actual talent, coaching, contract status, draft position out of the equation!). That’s because, in order for the 49ers, say, to repeat, they’ll have to win this year’s championship (a 1/2 chance) and then next year’s championship (and they’re 1 team out of 32).

But this is wrong – your bet doesn’t ask for the probability of one *particular* team winning both Super Bowls, but rather the probability of “this year’s champion” (whichever team wins) doing it again next year. This year’s probability does not matter! Someone will win, and so you’re only concerned with that team’s (whatever it is – and there’s a 100% probability that there will be a winner) probability of repeating. Whatever that team is will have a 1/32 chance (again, just keeping it random) of repeating.

This is a concept that does get tested on the GMAT, and when it does there’s always a trap answer.

Consider the question: On three consecutive flips of a coin, what is the probability that all three produce the same result?

(A) 1/16
(B) 1/8
(C) 1/4
(D) 3/8
(E) 1/2

Solution: The trap answer here is 1/8 – you might look at this as a 1/2 probability on the first flip, then a 1/2 on the second, and a 1/2 on the third for a 1/8 probability, but remember – in this case the result of the first flip doesn’t have to be one or the other. Your job is just to match whatever the first result was on the next two. If the first was heads, then you need heads next (a 1/2 chance) and heads again (a 1/2 chance). And if it were tails, then you need tails (1/2) then tails (1/2). But because “any match will do” and you don’t care that it’s a specific match – the question doesn’t specify all heads or all tails, just “all of one of them” – your probability doubles because you’re not concerned about the result of the first event, you’re only concerned about matching whatever that result was.

This question is discussed HERE.

So for probability questions that ask about pairs or matches, remember:

1) Check whether you need a *specific* pair/match or not.

2) If you don’t need a specific pair, but “any pair will do,” then the probability of the first result is 100% – something will happen.

3) If you need to guess, keep in mind that if it’s an unspecified pair/match, it’s almost certain that one of the trap answers will be a smaller number than the correct answer (in the above case, 1/8 is a trap and 1/4 is correct), so you can confidently rule out the smallest number and use number properties to try to eliminate another 1-2 answers.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618971 [8]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
99 Problems But Probability Ain't One

Some of the GMAT’s hardest Problem Solving problems can be made exponentially easier by keeping a famous Jay-Z lyric in the back of your mind. When you hear the phrase:

If you’re having girl problems, I feel bad for you son?

What immediately springs to mind?

I got 99 problems but a b**** ain’t one.

Now, what’s the GMAT genius in Hova’s lyric? He didn’t tell you what his problems WERE, he just told you what they WEREN’T. Explaining 99 problems would take way more than the two minutes you’d have for a quant problem or the ~3 minutes that Jay wants to spend on a track. And, like Jay-Z, you want to be Mr. One Take on GMAT problems, doing things the efficient way and getting to the answer much more quickly. So heed his advice when you see a problem like:

Solange takes four roundhouse swings at her brother-in-law. If she is just as likely to connect on any one punch as she is to not connect on that punch, what is the probability that she connects on at least one punch?

Now, there are plenty of sequences in which she can connect:

Hit, Miss, Hit, Miss

Miss, Miss, Miss, Hit

Hit, Hit, Hit, Hit (ouch!)

etc.

Trying to list out all the different ways in which she can land a punch is almost as time-consuming as listing all of one’s 99 problems. But think of it this way – which of the sequences available “ain’t one”; which ways does she NOT land a punch. There’s only one:

Miss, Miss, Miss, Miss

And so if we’re calculating the probability among the 16 total sequences (each of two things can happen at each of four points, so the total number of sequences is 2^4 = 16), then if one doesn’t work the other 15 must work. So the probability is 15/16. And the “formula” to use on this essentially derives straight from Jay-Z’s lyrics about what “ain’t one”:

For complementary events (when the probability of A + the probability of B = 100%), the probability of A = (1 – “not A”). And most strategically, this can be used as:

The probability of “At least one” = (1 – probability of “none”)

So if you’re calculating the probability of an outcome that has many different paths, see if it’s a cleaner calculation to determine the number of paths that “ain’t one” of your desired outcomes, and then just subtract those from one.

Note that this ideology doesn’t just extend to probability. In many problems, calculating all the outcomes that “are” desired is a whole lot harder than calculating the outcomes that “ain’t one” of the desired. Consider this problem from this week’s G-MATT Mondays session:

Matt is touring a nation in which coins are issued in two amounts, 2¢ and 5¢, which are made of iron and copper, respectively. If Matt has ten iron coins and ten copper coins, how many different sums from 1¢ to 70¢ can he make with a combination of his coins?

A) 66
B) 67
C) 68
D) 69
E) 70

Here look at the answer choices – they’re all very, very high numbers for the range (1-70) in question. So if your goal is to try to come up with all the possible coin combinations that work, you’ll be there a while. But what about the combinations that “ain’t one” of the possibilities? Since the maximum is 70, if you find the combinations that don’t work you’re doing this much more efficiently…and the answer choices tell you that at maximum only four won’t work so your job just became a lot easier.

With 2 and 5 cent coins as your options, you can’t get to 1 and you can’t get to 3, so those are two “ain’t one” possibilities. And then “100% minus… comes back into play” – Notice too that 70¢ is the maximum possible sum (that would use all the coins), so 70¢ – 1¢, or 69¢, and 70¢ – 3¢, or 67¢ are impossible too. So the answer is 66, but the takeaway is bigger: when calculating all the possibilities looks to be far too time-consuming, you often have the opportunity to calculate the possibilities that “ain’t one.” You’ve got a lot of problems to tackle on test day; hopefully this strategy allows you to make one question much less of one.

This question is discussed HERE.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618971 [9]
Send PM
Kudos