Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 03:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Confused ? 580 (Unofficial); PP - 760, 780; ETS Paper 710

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Confused ? 580 (Unofficial); PP - 760, 780; ETS Paper 710 [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2003, 14:15
Hi All,
I am confused. I took GMAT 2 days back and got 580 (Q 43, V 27). I have been consistently scoring above 700 in the practice tests. I prepared for 3 months. I did work very very hard -- amidst very tight work schedule (IT Guy with 12 hour job & managing two kids).

My previous attempt I never opened OG and practiced from some random material.

My other scores :

2002:
Kaplan - 570 (Q45, V23)
PP1 - 570 (Q45, V23)
Previous GMAT - 570 (Q45, V23)

2003:
Kaplan Diagnostics - 650
ETS Paper Based Test #14 - 710
PP1 - 760 (Q49, V45)
PP2 - 780 (Q51, V46) (after OG practice day before the actual exam)

I worked OG twice and also practiced very tought Quant problems. Always quant has been my strength.

This GMAT experience was really wierd.
AA & AI were really a breeze.

All quant questions were very tought and the curve was almost constant rise except the some mid 20 where the PS was bit easy (comparitively). I did get permutation combination and probability questions but they were very easy.
BUt all other questions were tricky and time consuming but I could manage to do it. For instance 1Q was what is the remainder for
(7^(381))/5. I felt that I did a cool job as all the questions were of increasing difficulty. I finished the section with 2 min to spare.

Then started the verbal section and it was pretty difficult & tricky but definitely manageable. Anybody with sufficient OG Practice can manage these question with total comfort. But the difficulty level was once again on the constant rise. I had two bold face CR and all the RC passages were only 35-45 lines : one on astronomy, one on womens economic liberation, other one on sociology.

I finished verbal with the same 2 min to spare and to my consternation found that the scores were 580. I feel totally confused. Now I really dont know what the heck is happening around. I havent received my official scores yet but I think it may not be very different from the unofficial one.

When I prepared for verbal I went thro the comnet sites suggested in this site and found it very useful and I made sure that I understood almost all of the concepts.
When I practiced OG, I split OG into 22 ps, 15 DS, 15SC, 12 CR & 14-16 RC questions to simulate the real test. Initially I started taking these OG question as untimed tests for the first 50 questions. Then for the remaining I took it as timed tests with app 2 min per question for Quant and verbal.
In all OG timed practice tests my incorrect questions were
PS : 1-2 questions, DS: 1-2 questions, SC: max 2 questions, RC: max 3 questions, CR: max 1 question

I came out of the shock only today and decided to post my experience.
I have a very high score barrier to cross- Mid 700.

Has anybody observed any similair phenomenon and if so, how to find

1. What went wrong
2. What are the other prep materials available-- I dont want to look into OG again as completed it twice and by this time I know the answers for most of the questions and their explanation too.

As of now I have decided to take all the Kaplan CD tests within this week to see my perfomance and to analyse my weak areas.

I welcome any suggestions from our forum members.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2003, 18:39
Venkat
sorry to hear about your bad score. I can understand how dejected one feels after putting effort and then getting a bad score. U need to practise more on Verbal and strenghen ur quant. Just more practise and focus.
I think one reason u cud have got high score on PP was that u had already OG (riht..?). Anyway, forget about the test and look forward.
First of all identify your weak areas. No one can do this for you and u have to see what in verbal is troubling you. If u are weak in all the sections. Then practise on more tougher questions is required.
For CR: I think one should practise each and every question on computer. (according to me stop paper practise... it hurts).
Get the GMAT+ verbal material on gmat club test's link. Practise all the SC, CR and CR. On every question apply the strategies. If u get a question right, see why u got it right. Do u read the stem question first in CR and after reading the stimulus (the question), do u identify the conclusion and assumptions before looking at the answer choices. Why do u get a question wrong. Without understanding stimulus, do u directly jump onto the choices (this will only confuse and trap you).
I first bought the "Kaplan Verbal Workbook" and "ingrained" its strategies on SC, RC and CR. Practised these strategies on the questions given in the book. After that i tried solving the "large" number of questions in GMAT+ using the same fundaes. I practised the Lsat CR & RC (which in my opinion are the best resource to preapre you for the actual test on CR and RC). They are tough, but they make u stronger and increase ur ability to solve these questions. Also, carry glucose water to the center, it reduces fatigue and rejuvenates the body.
I think this will help...
best of luck u can acheive ur aim of above 700.... !!
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2003, 20:14
Hi Vicky,
Thanks for your suggestions. Really rejuvenates me.

As far as verbal is concerned RC was my nemesis. I read Kaplan strategies Which actually helped me from getting 40% correct answers to 80% correct answers.
CR has always been my strength. I read the stem then paraphrase and finally read the question. By the time I read the question I can figure the answer and pick the choice which gels with my answer. I get 1 wrong out of 12 - 15 questions.

SC I painfully went through lots of fundas and then practiced a lot.

As far as Quant is concerned I think you are defintely right. I used some IMS material but did not practice it fully.

Do you have any Idea about IMS GMAT material and its quality in terms of Quant and Verbal?

But one thing as you have suggested is I did everything on OG paper based material and took the PowerPrep test afterthat . Nothing online except referring to fundas on the web site.

I am now trying to device a strategy for my next attack and I shall have your suggestions in mind this time.

Thank you very much.

By the way 1. how do i get to the GMAT + link
2. How good is the Kaplan verbal work book?

Also do you know of any test series CD that are really good.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2003, 12:20
go2venkat

I think we share the same story. Just wanted to know whether you panicked. I did and made a mess. Vicky's suggestion is right. take test on machine, dont take it on paper. Bad score has made me so low that now I cannot study and even write essay. I do not know anything about you but if you can make it 650 then you are good. Try well on you application.

Bhai
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2003, 13:22
Hi Bhai,
I was definitely not tensed. I completed all my questions comfortably on time. In fact I had 2 min to spare in each section.
I agree with you that I need more practice especially as I was solely relying on PowerPrep. After working out OG twice I think power prep is a breeze. So I need practice.

Thanks for the post. The advice was valuable.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

IMS and COMNET?!?!? [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2003, 18:50
When I prepared for verbal I went thro the [color=darkred][size=18]comnet sites[/size][/color] suggested in this site and found it very useful and I made sure that I understood almost all of the concepts.

What is a comnet site?

Also, can you please let me know what is IMS??

I can upload GMAT+ if you can arrange for a password protected FTP site.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2003, 06:50
Hi Mantha,
Thanks for your offer. I obtained GMAT + Materials 1,2,3,4&6 from gmattutor yahoo groups. I am looking for GMAT + 5 & 7. If you have it let me know I can arrange a Protected FTp Site for you to upload or if you can zip it and email it to me it would be great.

IMS is GMAT prepmaterial from India. YOu can know more about this course from http://www.maxgmat.com

Once again thank you for your help.

- Venkat :-)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Your email.. [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2003, 11:02
Please let me know your email so we can start on the FTP possibility.. I have 5 GMAT+ books, each with ~ abut 100-160 questions in each section. I hope that there is only one GMAT+ and that the numbers on these books do match. But we can always verify.

Thanks
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2003, 13:25
Hi Mantha,
I thank you very much for the offer. Finally, I downloaded the 6 GMAT + materials from gmattutor yahoo groups.

Venkat
  [#permalink] 04 Dec 2003, 13:25