Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 14:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

confused

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

confused [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2009, 09:53
Hello all,

Been a lurker for some time now, first time poster. I am currently employed part-time at the same company that I worked at all through college. However, it is a dead end job and I am frankly sick of it. I earned a undergraduate degree in Finance from the University of Illinois at Chicago, but have yet to find a decent job. Since it has been almost a year, I decided to perhaps go back to school and earn an MBA.

I picked up couple books; GMAT Review 12th edition, Cracking the GMAT, and just recently bought the Kaplan GMAT workbook. I have yet to start studying, but just glancing at some of the problems in the book scare me. I've had troubles with probabilities and geometry in the past. I am not too worried about the verbal part, but regardless I will be reviewing that as well. What do you guys recommend about the math portion. Will that math workbook be good enough to help me learn concepts?

This whole exam just scares me :(

PS I did look at some of the resources here on the forums, but I still have no clue as where to start.

Also, IF I were to get a slightly above average score, is it worthwhile getting an MBA from a school not in the top 20?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 440 [0], given: 32

Re: confused [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2009, 09:56
Those books, this forum, and the tests here will be enough for you to learn the concepts. As for getting an MBA, I'm afraid of how schools will perceive 1 year of part-time work experience with regard to what they're looking for. It may be possible, I'm not sure. Before you do a bunch of studying, you might want to ask some current students or admissions consultants about it. What are your target schools?

I suggest that you keep looking for a different job where you can use your finance degree and then look at going to get an MBA in 2 or 3 years. You are likely to have more success getting into a stop school and you can plan your work and extra activities around what you want to put on your resume when applying for schools.

ninetwosix wrote:
Hello all,

Been a lurker for some time now, first time poster. I am currently employed part-time at the same company that I worked at all through college. However, it is a dead end job and I am frankly sick of it. I earned a undergraduate degree in Finance from the University of Illinois at Chicago, but have yet to find a decent job. Since it has been almost a year, I decided to perhaps go back to school and earn an MBA.

I picked up couple books; GMAT Review 12th edition, Cracking the GMAT, and just recently bought the Kaplan GMAT workbook. I have yet to start studying, but just glancing at some of the problems in the book scare me. I've had troubles with probabilities and geometry in the past. I am not too worried about the verbal part, but regardless I will be reviewing that as well. What do you guys recommend about the math portion. Will that math workbook be good enough to help me learn concepts?

This whole exam just scares me :(

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: confused [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2009, 09:59
Sorry let me clarify, this march will be my 5th year with the company. And the reason I say it is a dead end job is because it has nothing to do with my degree. Well when I first decided I wanted to persue an MBA I was looking at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC), but now have expanded my interest to Kellogg and GSB. But it makes me wonder if schools like UIC are even worth it.

Or do you mean, since I have been out of school I only have 1 year of work experience?
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 113

Reviews Badge
Re: confused [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2009, 15:49
yes, schools generally look at full time post college work experience separately from work experience you may have while still an undergrad. there is no magic cut off limit for work experience required, although at least 2 years is generally recommended (ideally you''d have 3-4 yrs experience).

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Schools: Arizona State University

Re: confused [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2009, 16:26
Hey ninetwosix!

I'm a lurker on here as well and this is my first post!

I'm studying for the GMAT right now (a re-take) and I have to admit, it scared me to death at first! :oops:

Now I've gone from scared to apprehensive. Hopefully soon I'll get to confident!!!

This board has helped me alot and it will help you too!!! Take the time to view the saved threads and comments in detail. When you read comments or threads about people trying to score a 750, don't get intimidated. Just focus on yourself and your improvement.

Getting a MBA from a Top 20 School is great, but its not like they are the only MBA degrees worth anything!?! :shock:

Believe it or not, I actually know people who are successful with MBA's from a Univ. of Phoenix! Shocking!!! I know its not HBS, but you have to have some perspective. I think the degree is great and I want to earn one and have the knowledge, but just remember its the man (or woman) not the degree...

Tim
Re: confused   [#permalink] 23 Nov 2009, 16:26