Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 May 2015, 05:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Confused about Stafford UNsubsidized

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

Confused about Stafford UNsubsidized [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2007, 05:17
What is the difference between a Stafford unsubsidized loan and a regular commercial loan? I'm guessing the interest rate is a bit lower than what you would obtain with a commerical loan, but is there anything else I'm missing?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2007, 10:22
No origination fee, I think.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2007, 10:25
my stafford SUBsidized loan has an origination fee of 1%. So I would guess the unsubsidiezed version would as well.
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2007, 10:37
I know Duke has no origination or guarantee fees for unsubsidized loans. You might want to get your federal loan from outside.

naturallight wrote:
my stafford SUBsidized loan has an origination fee of 1%. So I would guess the unsubsidiezed version would as well.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 439 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2007, 11:08
The unsubsidized Stafford has no credit requirements because it is backed by the Federal government. As long as you haven't defaulted on prior student loans, you can still borrow even if your credit sucks.

Also in the future, you'll have opportunities to consolidate your loans - and once again there are no credit requirements for this type of loan.
Current Student

[#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2007, 15:59
Quote:
I know Duke has no origination or guarantee fees for unsubsidized loans. You might want to get your federal loan from outside.

Hmm, are you sure? My financial aid award shows the full amount ($8500), but some other materials show the budget, and the fee is incorporated in the budget. So that's how I know it's there.

I can't think of any reason why a Federal loan would differ from school to school. Anyone know? (Maybe the loan is lower risk b/c Duke kids have better career prospects!)

I need to read this stuff again. Good thing I donтАЩt want to go into Finance. Oh waitтАж
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2007, 16:58
Yeah, I checked again. The unsubsidized loan doesn't have any origination or guarantee fees.
Current Student

[#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2007, 12:05
Ok, I did some investigation--check page 8 of this Entrance Counseling website offered by the Feds (I guess you have to pass this test to get your federal loan).

The loan fee, or borrower origination fee, is another expense of borrowing a Direct Loan. The loan fee is subtracted proportionately from each loan disbursement. The loan fee charged for Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans is currently 3 percent of the amount you borrow. This fee will be reduced annually according to the following schedule:

(and then it goes on to say that next year, the fee will be 2.5%).

http://www.dlssonline.com/borrower/Entr ... ingPage.do

However, later on it talks about a 1.5% up-front interest rebate amount. (If you miss one of your first 12 payments, they add this back to your principal--you lose the rebate).

So the 2.5% origination fee less the 1.5% up-front rebate is where I get my 1% figure from. All of this looks to be done at the Federal level, so I would guess it applies to all students. But maybe some schools kick in that extra 1% to get rid of the fee completely. I dunno.
  [#permalink] 25 Apr 2007, 12:05