Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 17:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

confused and need help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-30-2011
GPA: 3.1
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 29

confused and need help [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2012, 15:20
Hello,

I am very confused and need help

i took my gmat some time back and scored 29 in verbal, i am retaking GMAT in the end of july now and my challenge is to increase verbal from 29 to 37.

I am using resources such as kaplan qbank, powerscore cr, mahttan sc, and egmat sc.

I revised all the basic concepts from strategy guides, and then started with OG 13, my results are

1) SC - Accuracy for General Questions is 70% and Advanced Questions is 60% (the statistics are as per OG archer of manhattan where manhattan has categorized OG questions into general and advanced), the average time for answering the question is less then a min

I have identified my weak areas, and am working on the same to improve on my accuracy at SC

2) CR - Overall accuracy of 75% (almost same for advanced and normal) for OG questions. overall average time required 2 min.

My confusion

1) I have little time left and i have yet to start reviewing my quant as well, so what do i do now for verbal ? do i again work on my strategy guides ? or do i work on strategies ?

2) Do you think my statistics exhibit possibility of achieving my target of verbal is 36/37 with the accuracy mentioned above (am not counting on RC right now, assuming RC throws similar results)

3) What would you suggest someone with an accuracy of 70% in SC and CR at OG and striving for 36/37 in verbal , is it realistic or too much optimistic?

thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: confused and need help [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2012, 08:57
If you need help, I can provide you some help. Where are you located?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 188

Kudos [?]: 156 [1] , given: 4

Re: confused and need help [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2012, 09:23
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hello,

It's sounds to me like you're off to a pretty good start. How was your Quant score when you last took the test? At this point, you'll definitely want to start doing some work on the Quant side of things, but how you split your time between Quant and Verbal will depend on how strong you already are in Quant.

versatile wrote:
1) I have little time left and i have yet to start reviewing my quant as well, so what do i do now for verbal ? do i again work on my strategy guides ? or do i work on strategies ?

I'd say worry less about the strategy guides at this point. Focus on doing sets of OG Verbal problems. Basically, return to the strategy guides to review any topics that continue to give you trouble.

Remember, quality is always more important than quantity when it comes to the OG. Do problems in short sets with a timer running, but then spend as long as you need to review *all* of the problems (not just the ones you missed). Reviewing problems you answered correctly is an important component to improving your speed and accuracy.

versatile wrote:
2) Do you think my statistics exhibit possibility of achieving my target of verbal is 36/37 with the accuracy mentioned above (am not counting on RC right now, assuming RC throws similar results)

Translating OG statistics to an actual test score is always tricky business! It sounds like you've put in a good deal of studying, so now might be an appropriate time to take another practice test and see where you stand. Remember that practice tests are not themselves a great way to prepare, but they are really the only way to fully assess your progress.

versatile wrote:
3) What would you suggest someone with an accuracy of 70% in SC and CR at OG and striving for 36/37 in verbal , is it realistic or too much optimistic?

It's certainly not unrealistic :wink: ... But again, you'll really need to take a practice test to see how your OG performance translates on the test.

Good luck!

MS

Mark Sullivan | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Seattle, WA

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-30-2011
GPA: 3.1
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 29

Re: confused and need help [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2012, 16:21
Hello,

Thanks very much for your reply and your insights

I took my GMAT in Feb, 2012 and scored 45 in Quant, after that day i have not taken any test because i wanna save remaining test for the final prep.

I request you to give 3/4 mins to analyze the file i have attached herewith. Average time taken is 1 min 10 seconds, I do not have any problem with the timing. I have hardly spent 2.5-3 mins on 4 to 5% of problems.

I know OG is not the right benchmark to predict the score, but I wanna know that whether my statistics indicate that i am ready (in terms of fundamentals, am keeping the strategies/ timing etc aside) for my target of 49/50 of Quant or not.

Performance in Quant also includes performance in DS, i expect similar level of accuracy in DS.

So, since you would have observed the OG accuracy statistics of so many achievers, you can some fair idea as to where do i stand in terms of my goal of 49/50

a) Do i need to go back to strategy guides again ? or you think i should practice more

Thanks very much for your help
Attachments

PS quant.xls [22.5 KiB]
Downloaded 31 times

To download please login or register as a user

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 188

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 4

Re: confused and need help [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2012, 12:11
Expert's post
versatile wrote:
Hello,

Thanks very much for your reply and your insights

I took my GMAT in Feb, 2012 and scored 45 in Quant, after that day i have not taken any test because i wanna save remaining test for the final prep.

I request you to give 3/4 mins to analyze the file i have attached herewith. Average time taken is 1 min 10 seconds, I do not have any problem with the timing. I have hardly spent 2.5-3 mins on 4 to 5% of problems.

I know OG is not the right benchmark to predict the score, but I wanna know that whether my statistics indicate that i am ready (in terms of fundamentals, am keeping the strategies/ timing etc aside) for my target of 49/50 of Quant or not.

Performance in Quant also includes performance in DS, i expect similar level of accuracy in DS.

So, since you would have observed the OG accuracy statistics of so many achievers, you can some fair idea as to where do i stand in terms of my goal of 49/50

a) Do i need to go back to strategy guides again ? or you think i should practice more

Thanks very much for your help

Hello Again,

The best advice I can give is to keep focussing on your weaknesses. Remember that on the GMAT a "weakness" always means a "relative weakness". So, figure out which areas are less accurate than your overall accuracies and tackle those head on. These stats should be all you need to do that.

E.g., I see that your OG 13 PS accuracy on Quadratic Equations is 57%, whereas your overall is 81%. So, you should definitely work on that specific topic. Going back to the strategy guides is a great first step in addressing weaknesses, though I would use strategy guides for tackling specific weak areas and not necessarily work through them start-to-finish again.

Again, it's really impossible to extrapolate from OG data to a specific raw score on the GMAT itself. What I can say is that regardless of where you are currently, you'll always maximize your score by focussing on weaknesses. Those weak areas are what can hold your score back.

Hope that helps, and best of luck!

Mark

Mark Sullivan | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Seattle, WA

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Re: confused and need help   [#permalink] 30 Jun 2012, 12:11