Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Oct 2014, 01:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

confused between these 2 answer choices

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 236 [0], given: 1

confused between these 2 answer choices [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2007, 03:02
The Kwakiutl recognized one social unit larger than the tribe - the confederacy, which was a cluster of loosely knit, informally related neighboring tribes who interacted with themselves more often than between other tribes.

a) tribes who interacted with themselves more often than between
b) tribes who interacted among each other more often than among
c) tribes who intereacted with one another more often than with
d) tribes, interacting among each other more often than between
e) tribes, interacting among one another more often than with

I choose B, but the OA is C. Can someone explain to me why we use "with one another" rather than "among each other"? The latter seems to make more sense because it does seem that we are talking about more than 2 groups here.

appreciate you help
thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2007, 05:09
C has the correct meaning of interation between different tribes. B to me it means the interation is between the tribe members and not tribes.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2007, 07:47
'who' can refer to tribes? I thought who could only refer to a person/people...
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: confused between these 2 answer choices [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2007, 08:51
tarek99 wrote:
The Kwakiutl recognized one social unit larger than the tribe - the confederacy, which was a cluster of loosely knit, informally related neighboring tribes who interacted with themselves more often than between other tribes.

a) tribes who interacted with themselves more often than between
b) tribes who interacted among each other more often than among
c) tribes who intereacted with one another more often than with
d) tribes, interacting among each other more often than between
e) tribes, interacting among one another more often than with

I choose B, but the OA is C. Can someone explain to me why we use "with one another" rather than "among each other"? The latter seems to make more sense because it does seem that we are talking about more than 2 groups here.

appreciate you help
thanks

tribes - requires a modifier 'Who' as it is a object
Each other should always be used as 'subject' and not object. Whereas one another is more appropriate as an object

Hence 'C' seems to be the best choice.
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2007, 11:44
Beyond700,

would you please give me 2 examples of when to use "one another" and when to use "among each other"? if you can think of such, it will be really great.

take care
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2007, 12:58
among is a word that implies more than three. one another relates to 2, correct?
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2007, 13:21
asdert,

i agree with you regarding "among", but I don't know much about "one another" to make a solid statement. I could be wrong, but what I personally think is that "one another" is used when we have 2 or more groups interacting with one another. For example:

1) Members of a football team agreed among each other on a given game plan strategy.

In this example, we have 1 group that has more than 2 persons in it. "among" is used to describe the interaction of every individual within that 1 team.

2) During the world cup tournament, several national teams agreed with one another to go out for a beer after their game this afternoon.

In this example, we now have at least 2 groups of teams, if not more, who are interacting with one another. If we had used "among", we would have suggested that every person individually within each group interacted with each other rather than as a group interacting with each other group or team. By using "with one another", you are saying that each group interacted as a group with other groups.

this is what I think at least, but what do you guys think about that? any better explanation perhaps?
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2007, 19:33
'interact with' is the correct idiom. Straightaway, we can eliminate all other choices except (A) and (C). (A) is wrong because 'between' is only used for two parties. (C) it is.
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2007, 01:34
eyunni,

I think you've really touched the main issue of this question. Now that you've mentioned that, I can also see that there is an issue with parallelism as well:

interact with....than with.....

Plus, you must compare things that are similar:

interact with one another (implying tribes) than with other tribes (the comparison must be similar)

PERFECT! now i get it! thanks a lot!
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2007, 16:47
tarek99 wrote:
Beyond700,

would you please give me 2 examples of when to use "one another" and when to use "among each other"? if you can think of such, it will be really great.

take care

There you go..

Each other
Used to indicate that a relationship or an action is reciprocal among the members of the set referred to by the antecedent:
Eg:- The boys like each other.

It is often maintained that each other should be used to denote a reciprocal relation between two entities, with one another reserved for more than two:
thus The twins dislike each other but The triplets dislike one another

One another
When speaking of an ordered series of events or stages, one another is the preferred form. Thus the sentence The waiters followed one another into the room
one another reserved for more than two:

Each other should not be used as the subject of a clause in writing.
Instead of We always know what each other is thinking, one should write Each of us knows what the other is thinking. ·

:wink: Hope this helps
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2007, 00:38
Beyond700,

I need to correct you with your example:

Instead of We always know what each other is thinking, one should write Each of us knows what the other is thinking.

any pronoun after any preposition must be an object pronoun. remember that! very important.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2007, 01:06
tarek99 wrote:
Beyond700,

I need to correct you with your example:

Instead of We always know what each other is thinking, one should write Each of us knows what the other is thinking.

any pronoun after any preposition must be an object pronoun. remember that! very important.

Very much agree with you on this golden rule...despite that I am trying to find some exceptions to it..

My original statement goes like this..Let me tweak it a bit...
Instead of writing a sentence
We always know what each other is thinking
one should write it as
Each of us knows what the other is thinking.
  [#permalink] 19 Nov 2007, 01:06