Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 17:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Confused on where to go next. How to improve verbal?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Confused on where to go next. How to improve verbal? [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2012, 07:59
Hi all,

I've been actively browsing this site when studying but this is my first post here.

Brief background: A guy based in asia who has been studying the gmat intensely since June. I am not from a quantitative background so I have to study everything. I haven't set a date yet because I still think I have a long way to go.

My diagnostic score was rather abysmal at 490 (33q/25v) although my IR score was 7/8. I studied the Manhattan series along with the official guide which has so far been very useful. My score in gmatprep rose to roughly 610 (39q/34v)

I have completed around half the OG questions (I know its a very weird way of doing it but I still use an error log at least) where my quant hit rate is roughly 75% compared to my verbal which is in the 60s.

Anyway most recently I did another gmatprep v1 test just to see where i was after almost 2 months. My score was only 640 (44q/34v). Whilst I was glad to see my quant score was constantly improving, I was very disappointed to my verbal score hadn't changed. For a more detailed breakdown of verbal I got 14 incorrect: 3CR, 4RC (Had one really tough passage that was harder than anything else I saw) and 7 SC. Timing is NOT a problem for me.

I'm now really confused on what to do. Even if I finish off the rest of the OG questions, I'm afraid that my score in verbal won't change and I will be wasting my time. I did review my mistakes but it seems I haven't really "got" the concepts (esp for SC). I would really appreciate any advice now on how I can overcome this verbal obstacle.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 689

Kudos [?]: 3025 [0], given: 890

Re: Confused on where to go next. How to improve verbal? [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2012, 11:42
Expert's post
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Confused on where to go next. How to improve verbal? [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 06:17
Ok I posted in the other section but i guess it couldn't hurt to post here.
My most recent GMATprep test I scored 700 Q43V42. However it had quite a few repeats so the score is very inflated. I am disappointed with the fact that that my quant is actually lower so any advice on how to break past the 45-46 mark would be appreciated.

However what I am really concerned about is the verbal section. Pretty much all the mistakes were related to SC. I have completed the OG now and reread the SC guide along with gmatclubs notes. I still don't seem to "get" it when it comes to the rules. To anyone who was really bad at SC, how did you manage to break past this barrier? Parallelism, agreement and all those things I thought I have mastered are still getting the best of me. It seems my current SC approach isnt working.
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 252 [0], given: 44

Premium Member
Re: Confused on where to go next. How to improve verbal? [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 06:26
Hi,

For SC and RC: check out Thursday's with ROn (you can find the link in my signature!)

For Quant

how to improve:

1. When you solve a question and you have already taken 2mins and you don't see yourself going anywhere in that question in next 1min. Then guess and move on! (its not necessary to get all questions correct to get a 50 or 51!)

2. Identify the weak areas (which i guess you have) and try the following:
Prepare a xls sheet (topic by topic).. and keep a track of your progress on a daily basis. Use color coding (Red,Orange,Green).
Red: You are weak in theory - brush up your concepts.
Orange - Done with theory but weak in application of the concepts
Green - Done with the topic

3. Regarding the individual topics:
For i=1 to end
For i=1 to end
-> Study "chapter i"
-> go to grockit.com and schedule game for "chapter i" with difficulty level easy, If doing good then increase the difficulty to "medium" else go to next step
-> re-read the "chapter i" if you are doing bad
-> else goto next chapter and repeat the above steps.

4. Why grockit?
Because they have a timer for each and every question so it will help you improve your speed.
They have tricky questions which is what GMAT asks you!

5. General Advice
GMAT Quant is not tough - its tricky
Keep an eye on that then i guess you can help yourself out a bit.
Also, i read it somewhere that when you are doing good in Quant then you get either a probability or a PnC question. So if you get a question like that then its a plus for you!

6. Go to gmatclub and follow the discussions of the topics in which you are weak. Try to do the 700 level questions and try to follow the discussion which they have. It will help you in knowing how to think about the problem.

How to improve Quant :-- Register in grockit.com and practice, practice and practice!

Hope it helps!

ankit
you must believe

How to start GMAT preparations?
How to Improve Quant Score?
gmatclub topic tags
Check out my GMAT debrief
Thursdays with Ron link
Looking for a Quant tutor? Check out my post for the same!

Combined Formula Sheet :
Number Properties || Word Problems and PnC || Equations, Inequalities || Geometry

How to Solve :
Statistics || Reflection of a line || Remainder Problems

Re: Confused on where to go next. How to improve verbal?   [#permalink] 16 Aug 2012, 06:26