Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 03:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

confused question

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

confused question [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 01:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

67% (01:57) correct 33% (00:27) wrong based on 12 sessions
this is a question from diagnose test.

which of the following inequalities must be true if the values of x are between -1 and 5

a, [3-x] < -3

b, -1<[x]<5

c, [x]-2>2

d, [2+x]>3

e, [x-2]<3

Note: [ ] represents absolute symbol. because I can't find absolute symbol anywhere.

My question is:

why b is wrong, because if x is between -1 and 5, inequity in b is also right.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 18

Re: confused question [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 02:18
The problem with answer choice b) is that the equation holds true not only for values in the interval
[-1,..,5] but also for values which fall outside of this interval. In fact, the equation in answer choice b) holds true for all values -5 < x < 5)

To make an example, if x = -4, the absolute value of x is 4 and the equation is -1 < 4 < 5, which is obviously true.

Answer choice e) is superior because it holds true only if the values of x fall between -1 and 5.
Intern
Intern

Re: confused question [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 07:14
I understand what you mean, but the problem is that the question asks us that if x between -1 and 5 what inequity is right.

it's obvious that b is also correct with the values of x.

The question doesn't ask us to find an inequity so that X will be between -1 and 5. If the question do, E will be correct answer. However, the question asks the opposite thing, what inequity is right if x is between -1 and 5. so, in my opinion, both B and E are correct.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 18

Re: confused question [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 07:43
I understand where you're coming from. The question is poorly worded and both answer choices b) and e) are essentially correct. Among those two choices e) is superior because it only holds true for the interval [-1,5] that's why I'd pick it (given that in GMAT questions only one answer choice can be correct). I agree though that this is not a very good reason.

That being said, I'd doubt that you'll come across such an ambiguous question on the actual exam so I wouldn't worry about this question as it is not representative.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: confused question [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 08:03
I back stanford2012 for his inputs. GMAT ideally should not have answer choices which are ambiguous. So do not worry about these for now :)

-------------------------------------
Please give kudos, if my post is helpful.

For English Grammar tips, consider visiting http://www.grammar-quizzes.com/index.html.

Intern
Intern

Re: confused question [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 08:29
I just have finished the diagnose test of Gmat club. However, I discover that there quite alot of confusing question or poor wording question. Could any one tell me who are responsible for composing the tests. I doubt the tests' accuracy. Could any one help me assess the tests of Gmat club. Are they good or bad. Whether we should do them or not. I don't have a lot of time for my exam now. Therefore, I need some focus and concentrate on accurate and trustworthy materials.

Hope someone help me.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 5

Re: confused question [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2010, 13:24
bupbebeo wrote:

which of the following inequalities must be true if the values of x are between -1 and 5

a, |3-x| < -3

b, -1<|x|<5

c, |x|-2>2

d, |2+x|>3

e, |x-2|<3

Is this a trully suspect question with both choices B and E correct or am I missing something ?

Please give me kudos, if you like the above post.
Thanks.

GMAT Instructor
Followers: 254

Kudos [?]: 660 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: confused question [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 10:35
devashish wrote:
bupbebeo wrote:

a, |3-x| < -3

b, -1<|x|<5

c, |x|-2>2

d, |2+x|>3

e, |x-2|<3

Is this a trully suspect question with both choices B and E correct or am I missing something ?

You're not missing anything; the question has more than one correct answer, and should be ignored. Clearly the question *means* to ask: "Which of the following inequalities is equivalent to the inequality -1 < x < 5", in which case the answer is E. But as it stands, the wording of the question is simply wrong.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Re: confused question   [#permalink] 06 Oct 2010, 10:35