Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 07:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Confused whether I am ready or not

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 530 Q42 V20
GMAT 2: 540 Q43 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q48 V35
WE: Business Development (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 18

Confused whether I am ready or not [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2012, 05:36
I recently took GMATPrep mocks and here are my scores. I am aiming for 700+. I have already taken GMATPrep test 1 old version once prior to this and it was some 4 months ago and scored a 620, my verbal was weak, so I stopped taking tests and started preparing. Started taking the tests again from last month.

Old version GPREP 1 7/5 48 37 690
Old version GPREP 2 16/5 48 35 690
New version GPREP 1 9/6 49 35 700
New version GPREP 2 15/6 48 34 680
New ver Rpt GPREP 1 19/6 51 36 720
New ver Rpt GPREP 2 20/6 50 40 750

P.S - All tests taken with essays and IR with strict 5 min breaks.

The last test is over representative of my actual ability in verbal especially. And the 680 one is also under representative of my verbal ability, external disturbances :( and I lost concentration for few minutes, which resulted in more continuous mistakes at that interval (Checked it during review and I was able to solve those during review). I also faced some 2 to 4 repeat questions in CR/SC in other tests as well and that is why I am a bit confused on going ahead and taking the test. I was low on quant in the first two tests and then I started working on it and improved it. The verbal part is quite confusing, on one test I make more mistakes in SC and no mistakes in RC and in another its the opposite. I am looking for suggestions from people out here who have faced similar situation. Should I go ahead with the test or should I wait and prepare a little more, the thing is I have been dragging this quite long and I just want to finish it off soon. Pour in your thoughts guys :)

KUDOS - if my post has helped you.

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 85

Kudos [?]: 478 [1] , given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Confused whether I am ready or not [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2012, 15:33
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
msvel2304 wrote:
And the 680 one is also under representative of my verbal ability, external disturbances and I lost concentration for few minutes, which resulted in more continuous mistakes at that interval (Checked it during review and I was able to solve those during review).

I wouldn't completely discount this experience, as many people face distractions and mental exhaustion during the actual test. So we should probably include this in our assessment of whether you're ready for GMAT. But let's ignore the repeat tests. Other than boosting confidence, repeat tests don't offer very much. As for the occasional repeat questions that you noticed in other CATs, those inflated your scores somewhat. With that said, it seems that you're within striking range of 700 based on the given information.

msvel2304 wrote:
I have been dragging this quite long and I just want to finish it off soon.

This sounds like GMAT fatigue is beginning to creep in. This can be quite dangerous, so I recommend taking the test sooner rather than later. You definitely don't want to be exhausted or mentally drained. For the next few weeks, focus on your weakest areas and review your error log. Remain focused, but stay in control and relax.

Good luck!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 530 Q42 V20
GMAT 2: 540 Q43 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q48 V35
WE: Business Development (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 18

Retake strategy [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2012, 00:11
Update: I took the GMAT on 26th June and scored a 680 Q48 V35. My target score is 720+. I would to get some advice on how to improve further. If I can improve it by 2 to 3 points in verbal and at least 1 point in quant, then I would reach my target. I have exhausted all the materials. What materials should I go for to improve the quant ? Verbal, I believe I messed up with CR, because I am confident of RC and SC. Even in my mocks, I hardly made 1 or 2 mistakes in RC, while in SC and CR it was fluctuating between 2 to 6 mistakes. I wasn't able to concentrate at the end of the verbal section. The IR really tires you out. I am looking for some practice materials. Planning to get the GMATPrep pack 1. I haven't touched the 90 questions available in the latest GMATPrep. As for the materials I used for preparation, I have listed it below.

All MGMAT strategy guides
Powerscore CR
OG questions, MGMAT tests and questions from the forums.
Apart from that I had the old paper based tests, which I used for practice. I still have some 10 of them left untouched, but they are mostly repeat questions.

Any suggestions for study materials or tips are welcome. Thanks in advance.

KUDOS - if my post has helped you.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

Re: Confused whether I am ready or not [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 19:37
Hmm... that is tough as you hit the major resources. Is that OG12 you've studied? How about other versions... OG11 or now OG13?

Also, agree with bmillan01 that you should not discount errors that in review you actually know the answers to. Those kinds of mistakes chip away at your scores, and causes the computer to give you lower scoring questions as well.

This is also a bit of an assumption on my part, but given that you've exhausted your study materials.... have you considered that you used them well and to their full extent? One of the great tips from the forum for verbals is making sure you understand why the wrong answers were wrong (in addition to why the correct answers were right). This really tests your knowledge, and to small extent prevents the memorization of correct answers without the context.
Re: Confused whether I am ready or not   [#permalink] 09 Jul 2012, 19:37