Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 23:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Confusion between MIM/MIF/MIFEngg and MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 12-08-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Confusion between MIM/MIF/MIFEngg and MBA [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2012, 22:00
Hi,

I am in a deep confusion whether to join a MIM/MIF/MIFEngg course or do MBA....
I am a fresh graduate from India...I graduated from National Institute of Technology in Mechanical Engineering with GPA 7.59/10 in june,2012
I joined a construction company in contracts Dept regarding a Polysilicon manufacturing plant construction project ,working in Doha , Qatar
I am going to give GMAT in coming Dec and hoping for a decent score.. and will apply for the courses in fall 2013.
Now as I'll have around 6-7 months work experience, I am slightly inclined towards MIF/MIFEngg programs.. Europe is well known for MIM, MIF programs, but the recent changes in VISA and post graduation work permit scenario in Europe is also troubling my decisions..
So i need proper advise...
also some suggestions about the MIM/Masters in Finance programs offered by US business schools for pre-experienced candidates..

It would be really helpful for me to make decisions...

Thanks..
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 496 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Confusion between MIM/MIF/MIFEngg and MBA [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2012, 00:03
Expert's post
Okay, so good question here, and you aren't the only one with confusion here.
Now I understand that at this point in your life your big concern is to "get a good job" which to be honest any of these diplomas can get you!
but to best choose it's good to understand the difference.
So first, let's look at the difference between MBA and MiM as opposed to MF courses.
The main difference here is that MBA and MiM are "General Management" courses.... you do a bit of this a bit of that - negotiation, stats, international business, leadership, etc. etc. to get an overall "Business" diploma in management. The two main industries that draw from Bschools are Finance and Consulting (although there are plenty of other industries too).
MF courses are basically MATH-based and technical. Meaning, these courses are made for numbers-geniuses.. people who like numbers problems, etc... Often within the finance industry an MF or MBA can lead you to similar places.

The next difference is WHEN you do the course. For an MBA 3+ years of experience is recommended. It is designed for people who ALREADY have a decent amount of work experience, and NOT for the fresh grad (so not for you at this moment, although maybe later)
MiM is essentially "An MBA course for people with little experience". Similar coursework, similar structure, but it's for folks with no experience. MF, being a technical course can be done with either no experience, or with lots... people with a few years experience tend to have stronger profiles when applying but plenty of people with little or no experience go also...

Ultimately you need to choose what is best for you, and if you aren't sure, or like both types of degrees, no one says you can't apply to both MF and MiMs!!!

Soooooo, that's our "nutshell" :) Hope this helps you out!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 12-08-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Confusion between MIM/MIF/MIFEngg and MBA [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2012, 07:10
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Okay, so good question here, and you aren't the only one with confusion here.
Now I understand that at this point in your life your big concern is to "get a good job" which to be honest any of these diplomas can get you!
but to best choose it's good to understand the difference.
So first, let's look at the difference between MBA and MiM as opposed to MF courses.
The main difference here is that MBA and MiM are "General Management" courses.... you do a bit of this a bit of that - negotiation, stats, international business, leadership, etc. etc. to get an overall "Business" diploma in management. The two main industries that draw from Bschools are Finance and Consulting (although there are plenty of other industries too).
MF courses are basically MATH-based and technical. Meaning, these courses are made for numbers-geniuses.. people who like numbers problems, etc... Often within the finance industry an MF or MBA can lead you to similar places.

The next difference is WHEN you do the course. For an MBA 3+ years of experience is recommended. It is designed for people who ALREADY have a decent amount of work experience, and NOT for the fresh grad (so not for you at this moment, although maybe later)
MiM is essentially "An MBA course for people with little experience". Similar coursework, similar structure, but it's for folks with no experience. MF, being a technical course can be done with either no experience, or with lots... people with a few years experience tend to have stronger profiles when applying but plenty of people with little or no experience go also...

Ultimately you need to choose what is best for you, and if you aren't sure, or like both types of degrees, no one says you can't apply to both MF and MiMs!!!

Soooooo, that's our "nutshell" :) Hope this helps you out!

Thanks for the reply... :)
At this point of time MBA is not preferable for me.. that part i understood well..
But if I do any one of the masters (MIM/MIF) and after that work for a considerable period and then opt for MBA in a specialization, will there be any problem regarding admission into B-Schools (for that MBA part in future) as by then I'll have one masters program in my curriculum already??

And about the part "MF courses are basically MATH-based and technical. Meaning, these courses are made for numbers-geniuses" , that's also true.. and after going through some European B school's program structure on MIF , I have learned that Reputed Schools prefer candidates of Finance background, so about such criteria can u give any insight?

please also suggest about the job situation..

Thanks again..
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 496 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Confusion between MIM/MIF/MIFEngg and MBA [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2012, 01:48
Expert's post
If you do a technical degree, then yes, an MBA afterwards can totally make sense. What will work less well is doing first and MiM and then trying to do an MBA. The programs are just too similar.

And it is most definitely true that Masters in finance programs prefer people with a finance background. It's a big plus.

Voila!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!