Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 14:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Congress has enacted legislation forbidding state and local

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Finance
GMAT 1: 590 Q32 V30
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 28

Congress has enacted legislation forbidding state and local [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2012, 02:55
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

42% (01:44) correct 58% (01:05) wrong based on 106 sessions
Congress has enacted legislation forbidding state and local governments from raising taxes on connections that link consumers to the Internet for the next three years.

(A) forbidding state and local governments from raising taxes on connections that link consumers to the Internet for the next three years.
(B) that forbids state and local governments for the next three years from raising taxes on connections that link consumers to the Internet.
(C) that for the next three years forbids state and local governments to raise taxes on connections that link consumers to the Irternet.
(D) forbidding for the next three years to state and local governments the raising of taxes on connections that link consumers to the Internet.
(E) that forbids for the next three years state and local governments from raising taxes on connections that link consumers to the Internet.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Give kudos if you find my post helpful ;)

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.98

Kudos [?]: 19 [2] , given: 19

Re: Congress has enacted legislation forbidding state and local [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2012, 04:49
This post received
KUDOS
solarzj wrote:
Congress has enacted legislation forbidding state and local governments from raising taxes on connections that link consumers to the Internet for the next three years.

(A) forbidding state and local governments from raising taxes on connections that link consumers to the Internet for the next three years.
(B) that forbids state and local governments for the next three years from raising taxes on connections that link consumers to the Internet.
(C) that for the next three years forbids state and local governments to raise taxes on connections that link consumers to the Irternet.
(D) forbidding for the next three years to state and local governments the raising of taxes on connections that link consumers to the Internet.
(E) that forbids for the next three years state and local governments from raising taxes on connections that link consumers to the Internet.

The correct idomatic form of "forbid" is "forbid .... to"

The only sentence that has this in the right form is "c".

We can also eliminate answers based on intended meaning of the original sentence.

The intended meaning is -- no tax increase for next 3 years on connections to the internet.

Eliminate A, idiom error + it sounds like the next three years modifies the act of connecting to the internet.
Eliminate B, idiom error + it sounds like the next three years refers to the Govt. itself
Eliminate D, Non sensical
Eliminate E, idiom error

Hence right answer is C.

If I did make a valid point, would you please consider giving me a kudo. Thanks.

Intern
Intern

Re: Congress has enacted legislation forbidding state and local [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2012, 06:12
gomennassai wrote:

The correct idomatic form of "forbid" is "forbid .... to"

The only sentence that has this in the right form is "c".

We can also eliminate answers based on intended meaning of the original sentence.

The intended meaning is -- no tax increase for next 3 years on connections to the internet.

Eliminate A, idiom error + it sounds like the next three years modifies the act of connecting to the internet.
Eliminate B, idiom error + it sounds like the next three years refers to the Govt. itself
Eliminate D, Non sensical
Eliminate E, idiom error

Hence right answer is C.

Totally right.

Especially that you noticed the wrong meaning of sentence A. It indeed sounds as if "next three years" modifies the act of connecting to the internet.

Intern
Intern

Re: Congress has enacted legislation forbidding state and local [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2012, 11:33
A question to the admins. Would you rate this as a level 700 question?

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Congress has enacted legislation forbidding state and local [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2012, 21:12
I really have a tough time deciding how much effort to put into these idiom questions. I don't think I'd be asked something like this on the real test, but we keep seeing them pop up in preparation materials. I don't know how to handle these types of questions when they come up in practice.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 18

Re: Congress has enacted legislation forbidding state and local [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 03:00
solarzj wrote:

i pick b. but its wrong. yep i got it the correct form of idiom is forbid x to do y but i thought it should be forbid x from y....my bad :(

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

Re: Congress has enacted legislation forbidding state and local [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 04:47
B sounds like next three year is going to do something
In C it is the government which is going to do something..hence C

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 460 Q38 V17
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.56

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 134

Re: Congress has enacted legislation forbidding state and local [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 07:32
can anyone elaborate why choice A is wrong except for the wrong idiom?thanks
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

Re: Congress has enacted legislation forbidding state and local [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 07:47
farukqmul wrote:
can anyone elaborate why choice A is wrong except for the wrong idiom?thanks

...that link consumers to the Internet for the next three years [As in A]

...that for the next three years forbids state and local governments... [As in C]

the legislation forbids government for three years to do something...this should be proper meaning of the sentence.
However, in A it looks like consumers are linked to the Internet for the next three years. This doesn't match with the intended meaning of the sentence.

Hope it helps!

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 37

Re: Congress has enacted legislation forbidding state and local [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 16:46
This was a very interesting problem. Here's what I did:

There is a clear 3/2 split in the beginning of this problem. The legislation forbids something. So get rid of A/D.

Now we're looking at B, C, and E.

At first, I wanted to eliminate C because I don't like the "forbids to raise" phrase. I haven't studied this idiom. Then looking at B and E, these are basically the same sentence. I don't think I've seen that in a SC problem before. I mean, just think about the guys writing this test. It is pretty unlikely they would write a question with a choice like that. So I went back to C which I would probably chalk up to a guess as I haven't seen this idiom before. That's actually why I came to this forum, though!

Ultimately, this isn't that great of a question IMO. My take on the idioms thing is that there are far more productive things you can than put a lot of effort into than idioms. For instance, just having seen this problem before will now enable us all to choose the correct answer if we ever stumble upon "forbids to" again.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q51 V29
GPA: 3.94

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Congress has enacted legislation forbidding state and local [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 18:08
Oh.... Forbid...to ,'amn, it's C
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.4
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 7

Re: Congress has enacted legislation forbidding state and local [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2012, 18:11
Hi guys,
I checked the Oxford dictionary and: forbid sb from doing sth is the correct idioms.
And thing else could eliminate A ?
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-25-2012
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 62

Re: Congress has enacted legislation forbidding state and local [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2012, 05:48
Quote:
Hi guys,
I checked the Oxford dictionary and: forbid sb from doing sth is the correct idioms.
And thing else could eliminate A ?

I am not sure about the idiom issue because I googled it and found that "forbid to" and "forbid from" are both correct idioms with few subtle differences, but option A surely has meaning issues.

Option A: just read the bold red part.

if my post helped you, let me know by pressing Kudos...

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 22

Re: Congress has enacted legislation forbidding state and local [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2012, 08:03

Correct idiom here - Forbid to

A, B, E can be eliminated based the idiom error.
D - Awkward structure

Correct Choice C
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 63

Re: Congress has enacted legislation forbidding state and local [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 00:58
If you didn't know the idiom you can still solve this question. It revolves around the phrase "for the next three years" and only C has it placed correctly.

According to zeke both forbid to and forbid from are correct they are going to test you on some other aspect.
Re: Congress has enacted legislation forbidding state and local   [#permalink] 14 Nov 2012, 00:58