Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Aug 2016, 07:11
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Congress has enacted legislation forbidding state and local

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 265
Location: nj
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 193 [2] , given: 2

Congress has enacted legislation forbidding state and local [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2009, 14:33
2
This post received
KUDOS
4
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

50% (01:33) correct 50% (01:11) wrong based on 160 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Congress has enacted legislation forbidding state and local
governments from raising taxes on connections that link
consumers to the Internet for the next three years.


(A) forbidding state and local governments from raising taxes
on connections that link consumers to the Internet for the
next three years.
(B) that forbids state and local governments for the next three
years from raising taxes on connections that link consumers
to the Internet.
(C) that for the next three years forbids state and local
governments to raise taxes on connections that link
consumers to the Internet.
(D) forbidding for the next three years to state and local
governments the raising of taxes on connections that link
consumers to the Internet
(E) that forbids for the next three years state and local
governments from raising taxes on connections that link
consumers to the Internet.

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Mar 2006
Posts: 496
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 1

Re: SC - congress [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2009, 19:25
neeshpal wrote:
Congress has enacted legislation forbidding state and local
governments from raising taxes on connections that link
consumers to the Internet for the next three years.


· forbidding state and local governments from raising taxes
on connections that link consumers to the Internet for the
next three years.
· that forbids state and local governments for the next three
years from raising taxes on connections that link consumers
to the Internet.
· that for the next three years forbids state and local
governments to raise taxes on connections that link
consumers to the Internet.
· forbidding for the next three years to state and local
governments the raising of taxes on connections that link
consumers to the Internet
· that forbids for the next three years state and local
governments from raising taxes on connections that link
consumers to the Internet.


The correct idiom is forbid...to. Only answer C has that.

forbid...from is wrong/ prohibit...from is correct.
forbid for is wrong also.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 914
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 480 [0], given: 17

Re: SC - congress [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2009, 23:45
forbid to
prohibit from

Two Most Popular Idioms in our GMAT land :)
_________________

http://gmatclub.com/forum/math-polygons-87336.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 18 May 2008
Posts: 1287
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 353 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - congress [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2009, 03:37
Yes Forbid to is the correct idiom.
C is the best
neeshpal wrote:
Congress has enacted legislation forbidding state and local
governments from raising taxes on connections that link
consumers to the Internet for the next three years.


· forbidding state and local governments from raising taxes
on connections that link consumers to the Internet for the
next three years.
· that forbids state and local governments for the next three
years from raising taxes on connections that link consumers
to the Internet.
· that for the next three years forbids state and local
governments to raise taxes on connections that link
consumers to the Internet.
· forbidding for the next three years to state and local
governments the raising of taxes on connections that link
consumers to the Internet
· that forbids for the next three years state and local
governments from raising taxes on connections that link
consumers to the Internet.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Feb 2007
Posts: 85
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 16

Re: SC - congress [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2010, 18:43
nitya34 wrote:
forbid to
prohibit from

Two Most Popular Idioms in our GMAT land :)


Knowing the definition contexts also helps::
prohibit means to stop something from happening and is usually used in legal contexts
forbid means to will it not to happen and is usually used in religious contexts



But does anyone know what the idioms are for
forbidding vs prohibiting?


Forbidding as well as prohibiting are used with nouns, not action clauses.

Congress passed legislation prohibiting abortion in 1972.

Most religions have laws forbidding adultery.

I recommend an amendment to the Constitution prescribing a term of six years for the Presidential office and forbidding a reelection. (used in a legal context but it represents a wish rather than a ruling)

_________________

If you like my post, a kudos is always appreciated ;)

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Sep 2009
Posts: 222
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 8

Re: SC - congress [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2010, 01:05
Definitely C

Forbid to/Prohibit from

man, those idiom list really helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Dec 2009
Posts: 263
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 13

Reviews Badge
Re: SC - congress [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2010, 05:25
lonewolf wrote:
Definitely C

Forbid to/Prohibit from

man, those idiom list really helps.


I keep getting 'forbidden from'. Maybe I've gotta read up a bit more on idioms. Which idiom lists are you referring?
_________________

My debrief: done-and-dusted-730-q49-v40

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Posts: 231
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 38

Re: SC - congress [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2010, 08:41
Thanks for the additional details :)

firasath wrote:
nitya34 wrote:
forbid to
prohibit from

Two Most Popular Idioms in our GMAT land :)


Knowing the definition contexts also helps::
prohibit means to stop something from happening and is usually used in legal contexts
forbid means to will it not to happen and is usually used in religious contexts



But does anyone know what the idioms are for
forbidding vs prohibiting?


Forbidding as well as prohibiting are used with nouns, not action clauses.

Congress passed legislation prohibiting abortion in 1972.

Most religions have laws forbidding adultery.

I recommend an amendment to the Constitution prescribing a term of six years for the Presidential office and forbidding a reelection. (used in a legal context but it represents a wish rather than a ruling)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Feb 2007
Posts: 85
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 16

Re: SC - congress [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2010, 23:00
Would appreciate a kudos if you liked my additional info. ;)
calvinhobbes wrote:
Thanks for the additional details :)

firasath wrote:
nitya34 wrote:
forbid to
prohibit from

Two Most Popular Idioms in our GMAT land :)


Knowing the definition contexts also helps::
prohibit means to stop something from happening and is usually used in legal contexts
forbid means to will it not to happen and is usually used in religious contexts



But does anyone know what the idioms are for
forbidding vs prohibiting?


Forbidding as well as prohibiting are used with nouns, not action clauses.

Congress passed legislation prohibiting abortion in 1972.

Most religions have laws forbidding adultery.

I recommend an amendment to the Constitution prescribing a term of six years for the Presidential office and forbidding a reelection. (used in a legal context but it represents a wish rather than a ruling)

_________________

If you like my post, a kudos is always appreciated ;)

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2009
Posts: 66
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: SC - congress [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2010, 23:48
Hey nice explanations..

First check for "THAT" in the ans as legislation is necessary condition...so we have only 3 choices to choose from i.e. B, C, E...

then check for "FORBID TO" idiom....then select the correct option i.e. C
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 591
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 609 [0], given: 20

Re: SC - congress [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2010, 01:14
good one.
forbid X to Y; X forbid Y...forbid here as a verb. e.g "I forbid you to marry him"
forbidding X: As an adjective the "forbidding" modifies X e.g "a dark forbidding sky."
_________________

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 1558
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 495 [0], given: 6

Re: SC - congress [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2010, 08:07
good question....did not know the idiom and so fell for B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2009
Posts: 312
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 443 [0], given: 20

Re: SC - congress [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2010, 10:45
did not knew the idiom .. so picked B .. but thanks for this ques .. need to memorize many imp idioms
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Jul 2010
Posts: 67
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: SC - congress [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2010, 00:39
C.

Forbids X to Y is the correct idiom.

Last edited by mailpravs on 07 Sep 2010, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Jun 2010
Posts: 333
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 7

Re: SC - congress [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2010, 07:50
Trapped :( did not know the idiom!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 9222
Followers: 802

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Congress has enacted legislation forbidding state and local [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2015, 14:45
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Congress has enacted legislation forbidding state and local   [#permalink] 10 Oct 2015, 14:45
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
19 Experts publish their posts in the topic Congress has enacted legislation forbidding state and local solarzj 18 03 Jun 2012, 03:55
1 Congress is responsible for legislation, and the police is kp1811 9 12 Nov 2009, 12:09
2 Congress has enacted legislation forbidding state and local aaron22197 7 10 Jun 2008, 03:23
Congress has enacted legislation forbidding state and local applecrisp 0 04 Dec 2007, 13:30
Congress has enacted legislation forbidding state and local faifai0714 3 14 Mar 2007, 20:57
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Congress has enacted legislation forbidding state and local

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.