Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 11:11

Flash Sale:

The Economist GMAT Tutor - 15% Off All Courses

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Congress is considering a "National Service"

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIT Madras
WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 155 [5] , given: 104

Congress is considering a "National Service" [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2010, 08:08
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

56% (02:27) correct 44% (01:23) wrong based on 342 sessions
Congress is considering a "National Service" program under which high school graduates who need federal assistance for college would serve for two years in the military or on a community service program rather than receive and repay a government-sponsored loan. Proponents say that it will show the nation's youth that everyone benefiting from the rights of a democratic society must also recognize his or her responsibilities to that society.

Which one of the following points would be most useful to an opponent of the National Service program?

-Students who choose not to go to college should not be obligated to participate in a National Service program.
-Women would have fewer choices of positions in the military.
-Students well-off enough not to need federal financial assistance could forego National Service.
-The federal assistance offered by a National Service program would not be adequate to completely pay for a college education.
-Today's youth are greatly lacking in civic values and social responsibility.

Don't forget KUDOS if you like the question. This is from KAPLAN CAT.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: ISB, Tepper - CMU, Chicago Booth, LSB
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 50

Re: National service program [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2010, 09:46
hemanthp wrote:
Congress is considering a "National Service" program under which high school graduates who need federal assistance for college would serve for two years in the military or on a community service program rather than receive and repay a government-sponsored loan. Proponents say that it will show the nation's youth that everyone benefiting from the rights of a democratic society must also recognize his or her responsibilities to that society.

Which one of the following points would be most useful to an opponent of the National Service program?

-Students who choose not to go to college should not be obligated to participate in a National Service program.
Out of scope. The stimulus only talks of [highlight]high school graduates who need federal assistance for college[/highlight]
Way out of scope.
-Students well-off enough not to need federal financial assistance could forego National Service.
Yes. This would make sense. The stimulus - [highlight]Proponents say that it will show the nation's youth[/highlight] talks of the entire youth population and this option attacks it.
-The federal assistance offered by a National Service program would not be adequate to completely pay for a college education.
Out of scope.
Way out of scope.

Thanks to hemanthp for posting so many CR questions for the day. Appreciate it. +1 to you.

:good Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog :thanks

Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: National service program [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2010, 20:33
hemanthp wrote:

-Students who choose not to go to college should not be obligated to participate in a National Service program.here we are considering only high school graduates
-Women would have fewer choices of positions in the military.author doesn't talk about women in particular
-Students well-off enough not to need federal financial assistance could forego National Service.Everyone should attend the program. But here its only for those students who don't have adequate funds for the college program. So we are not considering the students who don't need any help
-The federal assistance offered by a National Service program would not be adequate to completely pay for a college education.this is also irrelevant because the stimulus doesn't take the total money required for college education in account
-Today's youth are greatly lacking in civic values and social responsibility.irrelevant. doesn't talk anything about national service program

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 years Software Product Development
WE 2: 3 years ERP Consulting
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 15

Re: National service program [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2010, 21:29
Simple and straight.C for me

-AD

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIT Madras
WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 104

Re: National service program [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 08:13
It definitely wasn't simple and straight for me :).
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cornell
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 6

Re: National service program [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 09:43
C.
Agree with ezhilkumarank.......almost all the other options are way out of scope hence the comment "Simple and Straight" ;)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Congress is considering a "National Service" [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2012, 02:16

I am not convinced with the option C as the answer. "high school graduates who need federal assistance for college would servive....and ......nation's youth that everyone benefiting from the rights of a democratic society..." are mentioned in the passage.
Option C is assuming that those well-off students are also getting benefits from the rights of a democratic society.

What are your thoughts over this?

Kind Regards,
Ravender
Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 75

Re: Congress is considering a "National Service" [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2012, 02:28

this statement can very well oppose the NSP's idea that ".... nation's youth that everyone benefiting from the rights of a democratic society must also recognize his or her responsibilities to that society."

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

Re: Congress is considering a "National Service" [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2012, 03:26
Hi there,

I really don't understand how C would work

The point of this policy is:
"[to] show the nation's youth that everyone benefiting from the rights of a democratic society must also recognize his or her responsibilities to that society."
So it does not target any citizen but those who are seeking to "benefit from rights of society" (ie. those who need federal assistance)

But to me C is out of scope, since well-off students also don't seek any rights here. The text didn't say that EVERY BODY should "recognize his or her responsibilities to that society" just those who are asking society for help. So I don't agree with the OA, and none of the answers are satisfactory.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 229

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Congress is considering a "National Service" [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2014, 08:56
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 24

Re: Congress is considering a "National Service" [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2014, 20:54
Hi can somebody explains this?

The argument states that "Proponents say that it will show the nation's youth that everyone benefiting from the rights of a democratic society must also recognize his or her responsibilities to that society." Isn't this the crux of the argument and not about the financial abilities of the students?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.82
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 72

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Congress is considering a "National Service" [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2014, 10:15
hemanthp wrote:

Conclusion : it will show the nation's youth that everyone benefiting from the rights of a democratic society must also recognize his or her responsibilities to that society.

-Students who choose not to go to college should not be obligated to participate in a National Service program. - We are talking abt students who wish to go coll
-Women would have fewer choices of positions in the military. - Irrelevant
-Students well-off enough not to need federal financial assistance could forego National Service. - Good weakener
-The federal assistance offered by a National Service program would not be adequate to completely pay for a college education. - Irrelevant
-Today's youth are greatly lacking in civic values and social responsibility. - Strengthener

I picked A :( . . only on analyzing it i came to know A is dummy !!!!!!!!
Often standing between correct answer and possible irrelevant answer :( always. Help me to get over from this

Thanks in Advance,
Swami
Re: Congress is considering a "National Service"   [#permalink] 18 Apr 2014, 10:15