Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 12:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Connecting Laptop to TV

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross 2010
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

Connecting Laptop to TV [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 18:08
This isn't really related to anything business school wise, but I know a lot of people on here are much more technically inclined than me :)

I have a Lenovo X61 and am buying a new tv soon. I would like to be able to hook my laptop up to the tv so I can stream stuff from Hulu, Netflix whatever. Watching stuff on my 12 inch laptop is okay, but certainly not ideal. My question is basically how do I go about doing this? What do I need to have to do this? Can I buy any new tv or do I need to make sure it has certain features? I'm hoping this is not incredibly hard.

My non-techie self REALLY appreciates any input and tips!
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 31

Re: Connecting Laptop to TV [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 18:15
skaballet wrote:
This isn't really related to anything business school wise, but I know a lot of people on here are much more technically inclined than me :)

I have a Lenovo X61 and am buying a new tv soon. I would like to be able to hook my laptop up to the tv so I can stream stuff from Hulu, Netflix whatever. Watching stuff on my 12 inch laptop is okay, but certainly not ideal. My question is basically how do I go about doing this? What do I need to have to do this? Can I buy any new tv or do I need to make sure it has certain features? I'm hoping this is not incredibly hard.

My non-techie self REALLY appreciates any input and tips!

See if your TV and laptop have a serial cable hookup (most new tvs and computers do). Connect the two, put it on the right source, and hit the monitor option on your laptop.

Don't know other methods.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 688 [1] , given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: Connecting Laptop to TV [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 19:47
This post received
KUDOS
I am familiar with this model of Thinkpad. I used to own the non tablet version of X61 2-3 years ago.

It doesn't come with HDMI slot.

So the best way to do this, get a new HDTV with HDMI slots (all new HDTVs have these slots). Then get a USB to HDMI adapter for your laptop.

Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Displayport-HDmi- ... 411&sr=8-3

Then get a HDMI cable:

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High ... _e_title_0

Then you are set.

I have a Panasonic Viera HDTV at home and my laptop has HDMI slot. I connect my laptop to TV all the time. (sometimes, use it as a monitor with wireless keyboard and etc)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Schools: Haas (Admitted /w $$$), Anderson (Admitted), LBS (Waitlist), MIT (ding), Stanford (ding), HBS (ding)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Reviews Badge
Re: Connecting Laptop to TV [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2010, 21:21
lagomez wrote:
See if your TV and laptop have a serial cable hookup (most new tvs and computers do). Connect the two, put it on the right source, and hit the monitor option on your laptop.

Just want to point out in case you are led astray - Serial cable hookup won't do you any good, what is meant by lagomez is a VGA cable hookup. It does look similar to a serial cable, but is not a serial cable, and incompatible with a serial cable.

Some TV's do have VGA inputs, then all you will need is the VGA cable. I'm not 100% sure if the thinkpad has one but I would say 80% it has one - it is a business class laptop and this class almost always come with VGA video outputs for presentations.

Otherwise if your TV doesn't have a VGA input, then a converter like nink mentioned.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Booth
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 23

Re: Connecting Laptop to TV [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2011, 15:58
Yeah, serial cable is ancient and doesn't work with laptop. You may have VGA (think yellow hookup) which is only video. You'll also need an output for sound via your headphones (a Y-adapter - think red and white) for this to work.

However, HDMI is really the only way you should go this day and age. If your laptop doesn't have it, you should invest in a new laptop, haha.

If you find this post useful, please give me a kudos. Thanks!

[JB's Guide to Dressing for Interviews]

[Did you use a Admissions Consultant? Provide some feedback here!]

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Connecting Laptop to TV   [#permalink] 06 Jan 2011, 15:58