Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 19:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Considering several EMBA programs. Request advise.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Ross, Darden, McCombs
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Considering several EMBA programs. Request advise. [#permalink] New post 05 May 2011, 11:34
What criteria do I use to select where I go for my EMBA? I am considering several EMBA programs. There is little information on GMAT Club about EMBA programs. The different rankings (US News, Business Journal, Wall Street....) are all over the chart. I am interested in Consulting and Entrepreneur programs. Looking for advise and guidance. These are the schools I'm considering:

Darden EMBA
Ross EMBA
UNC Kenan-Flagler EMBA
Olin EMBA
McCombs EMBA
USC EMBA
Berkeley-Columbia EMBA
Berkeley EMBA
Columbia EMBA
Cornell Johnson EMBA

Thank you!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Toastmasters Intl, HHonors
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Considering several EMBA programs. Request advise. [#permalink] New post 05 May 2011, 13:28
You can start here: http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/

Be sure to click on the tab that applies to you -- in this case, EMBA....

= = = = = = = = = =

If you liked my post, please consider a Kudos for me. Thanks!

Intern
Intern
Schools: UVA Darden; Cornell-Queen's Johnson School,
WE 1: Dean's List
WE 2: Air Force Officer 11 Years
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 19

Re: Considering several EMBA programs. Request advise. [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2011, 06:40
zoemba wrote:
What criteria do I use to select where I go for my EMBA? I am considering several EMBA programs. There is little information on GMAT Club about EMBA programs. The different rankings (US News, Business Journal, Wall Street....) are all over the chart. I am interested in Consulting and Entrepreneur programs. Looking for advise and guidance. These are the schools I'm considering:

Thank you!

First, where are you currently working? Do you really want to travel accross country to attend an EMBA twice a month? Most EMBA programs offer the same education as the full time program so the full time rankings are still important to you. Visit the few programs on a narrowed down list to see how you "fit" in the classroom and with the students. Most of the elite programs will provide you with good opportunities but if you are looking to switch careers you really need to understand what career services are provided by the EMBA program. Often they are not equal to the full time students because most executive students are in post entry level MBA positions. However, some schools such as Darden allow students to participate in all the interviewing events. You must realize that you will be applying for entry level MBA positions and if you don't live near campus this may not help you as recruiters will be on campus during the week. Price and financial aid provided at each program will also play a factor in what you program you should choose. The EMBA is a money maker for schools and some can be very expensive (ex. Wharton $170K). But programs like NYU provide EMBA students traveling from out of town with a room for the times you are on campus which helps offset some of the cost associated with their program.

Those are just some opening thoughts. Let me know what other questions you have during your research.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -George Orwell

Intern
Intern
Schools: UVA Darden; Cornell-Queen's Johnson School,
WE 1: Dean's List
WE 2: Air Force Officer 11 Years
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 19

Re: Considering several EMBA programs. Request advise. [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2011, 11:47
Great article from Stacey Blackman on executive MBAs.
If you have more than ten years of work experience, extensive career advancement and managerial experience, an Executive MBA may be a great choice. Full time MBA programs are typically seeking candidates who are early enough in their careers to benefit from the boost an MBA degree may provide, and are wary of candidates who may not fit squarely into the full-time MBA recruiting stream. If you are interested in remaining with your job, have their support to pursue an MBA and are ready to seek your education, an EMBA degree may be the perfect path for you. EMBA students are exceptionally happy with their decision to pursue education, and it typically seems to result in better salary and career opportunity.

Starting the research for your EMBA journey is similar to the path of any full time applicant. Thinking first about your career goals and how an EMBA is going to accelerate your growth is key. Next you will want to research programs (businessweek has a great set of school rankings and profiles). Finally, you will want to start strategizing about your application process.

Similar to full time programs, EMBA admissions committees are interested in the fit between you, the candidate, and the program. For more detail on the admissions committee viewpoint, see these posts from the Wharton and INSEAD adcomm. There is a combination of criteria that schools typically look at for business school applicants – from GMAT and GPA to resume and recommendations. The essays are the area you have the most control over, and you should devote considerable time to pulling together solid written materials.

There are a few differences between the weight placed on the various factors between a full time program and an EMBA program. Your history of advancement at work and your perception as a high potential employee are far more important to your EMBA admission prospects than your GMAT score or GPA. Since MBA programs are meant to assist you in real world situations, your skills as a manager are far more directly applicable to an EMBA than your skills in math. While you will still have to demonstrate your ability to understand quantitative disciplines like finance and accounting to gain admission to very selective EMBA programs, there is much more latitude for EMBA applicants in the academic area.

EMBA programs are interested in knowing who you are, and what your potential is. The admissions committee will expect maturity and introspection in a senior level candidate, and will want to understand your own personal business case. What do you see accomplishing with the EMBA degree? As you approach your essays, be as specific as possible. Your strategic thinking abilities have resulted in career success – apply those skills to explaining why an EMBA is the next step for you.

http://www.stacyblackman.com/2010/03/23 ... utive-mba/

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -George Orwell

Re: Considering several EMBA programs. Request advise.   [#permalink] 22 Jun 2011, 11:47