Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 01:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Consistent 540 in prep tests. Can anyone provide input?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Consistent 540 in prep tests. Can anyone provide input? [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2013, 14:39
Hi Everyone, this is my first time asking for some direct feedback. Alittle background -- I'm currently enrolled in the Kaplan prep course..it has an all-in-one suite type of package that provides classroom and gmat mock preps. The course timeline was 3 months from November, but i officially started some pre-class prep sometime in Mid October.
I've bought the MGGMAT prep books to supplement any areas I found the kaplan to be insufficient to my learning style, but not to overlap as to cause confusion.

Studying is about 2hours a night, 3hours saturday and sundays.

In terms of academic background..well..I graduated in 2010 from university. Haven't touched back-to-basics math since high school 8-9 years ago. Failed calculus as well.
All mock GMATs are from Kaplan. They were taken strictly on a 4hour straight period on a weekend. No interruptions. No open books. Breaks were used for washroom. Each GMAT session was counted as a "new" session, so the software isn't a repeat. Native english speaker.

Mock exams are done concurrently with a study schedule. Currently I've covered all quantitative subjects. Verbal has not commenced sentence correction.

Here's my progress:
(diagnosis - first mock baseline) October 26 2013 - 550 (39Q, 27V)
November 3, 2013 - 560 (39Q, 28V)
November 24 2013 - 510 3(38, 20V)
December 1 2013 - 540 (37Q, 27V)
December 15 2013 - 540 (41Q, 22V) (Cracked 40Q! was a conscious goal...but..)
December 29 2013 - 540 (36Q, 28V)

It almost seems like its a talent to get 540 consistently on the last 3, given that everyone on the forum had some variation.
Of course, I say this in jest.

I suspect it could be a timing issue. But I cannot be sure. Either way, each mock was followed up by a review of the weaker area and the week spent trying to boost it up. It generally is a back to basics type of approach if its weak on one area (i.e. Critical Reasoning, reviewing approach, trap answer, timing, etc.), then followed up with some timed questions.

Exam was scheduled on February 13, 2014. I planned on having a solid 4-5months to study given my weak background. I'm considering rescheduling it.
Target score was an idealistic 650 back in October. In light of my stress, I'm taking more of a laddered approach to manage my expectations. Priority is cracking the 600, with maintaining Q above 40 and cracking V at the 30 level.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Affiliations: Economist GMAT Tutor
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 3

Premium Member
Re: Consistent 540 in prep tests. Can anyone provide input? [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2014, 13:28
Expert's post
Hmm...you mentioned that this may be a timing issue. Do you find that you are running out of time or that you are rushing through questions? If so, timing is a skill that can be acquired relatively easily. Just make sure to give yourself firm deadlines while you are working on practice questions (i.e. answer 5 questions in 10 minutes).

Also, take a look at your sim tests and see what kinds of questions you are getting wrong. Target those topics by spending your time focusing on your weaknesses. Try not to spend time re-learning and reviewing what you already know.

Regards,

Elizabeth

http://econgm.at/GMATCLUB14
For free GMAT practice questions, follow us @econgmat_qs
Economist GMAT Tutor
(866) 292-0660

Re: Consistent 540 in prep tests. Can anyone provide input?   [#permalink] 08 Jan 2014, 13:28