Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 16:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

CONSORTIUM (CGSM) - can someone elaborate?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

CONSORTIUM (CGSM) - can someone elaborate? [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2006, 12:15
I just learned from a friend that when he was applying for bschool, a lot of his apps were channeled thru the Consortium which is a group that promotes diversity in the american workplace.
It seems like the Consortium has their own application which can be used towards the various schools they work with.

I was on their website but could not find any info relating to how to go about applying thru the consortium for varions mba programs.

Can anyone shed light on this?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2006, 15:25
Yes, you are correct -- the Consortium is a group of around 12 or 13 schools whose goal is to promote diversity in the workplace. I think the schools that belong to the Consortium may change every year, but I know last year they included Stern, Ross, Tepper, UNC, USC, U. of Texas, and Tuck among others.

The application is not available yet, but you can contact recruiting@cgsm.org for specific questions. I applied to three schools through the Consortium last year and was awarded a full scholarship to attend U. of Michigan (which I nervously turned down to attend Kellogg). It is a fantastic network -- aside from providing scholarships, they have an excellent network of Consortium members and alumni, and have a conference before you start school where many, many excellent companies come and speak to you. Many people lock down internships from this conference before school even starts!

Essentially you'll need to be able to prove that you are an underrepresented minority and have given back to this community (that you yourself have contributed to diversification in the workplace or elsewhere).

Good luck!
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2006, 12:15
i know the Consortium used to only be open to people of color but now they have opened the application to everyone.
Based on what you have said, should a person from a non-underrepresented group even bother applying thru them?
Also, are there any types of negative connotations regarding an app thru consortium? How do schools look upon this?

And on the flip side, is there anything about applying thru the consortium that makes your app more appealing to schools?

thanks!
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2006, 08:53
well i suppose you don't have to actually be a minority -- but no matter what, you'll need to be able to prove that you've helped underrepresented minorities advance in business either through an extracurricular, through your work, through your personal experiences, etc. That is an entire question.

there is no negative stigma -- it really can only help you. however, you can only apply to a maximum of 6 consortium schools, and you'll need to rank your order of preference.

Think about the rank carefully. you most likely will not get into your last ranked school at all (the schools see your ranking and the last ranked school knows you probably won't attend, even if you get in. This affects their yield.)

PM me with more questions if you have any.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 113

Reviews Badge
Re: CONSORTIUM (CGSM) - can someone elaborate? [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2009, 18:21
sorry for bumping this.. i had read about the consortium but i guess i never really full understood it (i still dont). basically you fill out 1 common app and you can get into various schools with it? i read on one of the pages that you need to go through 2 interviews.. one for the consortium and one for the school itself. doesnt this make it harder to get into a school rather than easier?

are there any specific groups that should apply via the consortium? (URM's, young people, old people, etc.)

since i just found out about it.. am i too late in the game for consideration for fall 2010?

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 83 [1] , given: 0

Re: CONSORTIUM (CGSM) - can someone elaborate? [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2009, 03:13
This post received
KUDOS
I've been very busy with school but when I get a chance I'll do something comprehensive for Consortium Applicants. Also feel free to PM if you've got any specifics.
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

Re: [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2009, 13:43
cma762 wrote:
i know the Consortium used to only be open to people of color but now they have opened the application to everyone.
Based on what you have said, should a person from a non-underrepresented group even bother applying thru them?
Also, are there any types of negative connotations regarding an app thru consortium? How do schools look upon this?

And on the flip side, is there anything about applying thru the consortium that makes your app more appealing to schools?

thanks!

I know what you are trying to say, but it is based around supporting underrepresented minorities, which is not necessarily the same as your first statement and has to be noted.

There is no negative connotation to applying through the consortium. I know a lot get in to NYU each year, and the school is very proud of its involvement with the consortium.

The appeal is one application, a network of support, possible scholarships, lower application fees. It is a great thing.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re:   [#permalink] 16 Sep 2009, 13:43