Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 22:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Constance Horner, chief of the United States governments

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [2] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Constance Horner, chief of the United States governments [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2009, 05:37
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

65% (01:57) correct 34% (00:44) wrong based on 346 sessions
Constance Horner, chief of the United States government’s personnel agency, has recommended that the use of any dangerous or illegal drug in the five years prior to application for a job be grounds for not hiring an applicant.

(A) the use of any dangerous or illegal drug in the five years prior to application for a job be grounds for not hiring an applicant
(B) any dangerous or illegal drug, if used in the five years prior to applying for a job, should be grounds for not hiring an applicant
(C) an applicant’s use of any dangerous or illegal drug in the five years prior to application for a job be grounds not to hire them
(D) an applicant’s use of any dangerous or illegal drug in the five years prior to applying for a job are grounds that they not be hired
(E) for five years prior to applying for a job, an applicant’s use of any dangerous or illegal drug be grounds for not hiring them

whats wrong in B???
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Constance Horner, chief of the United States [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2009, 06:03
Option B is conditional..pls note "if" in the sentence...
A.Seems to be awkward construction.
D.Use of plural verb for singular subject.
IMO C is more appropriate...pls post OA?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Constance Horner, chief of the United States [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2009, 10:35
OA is A
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Constance Horner, chief of the United States [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 04:06
wts wrong in C..?
sagarsabnis: Cud u pls post the explainations ?
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 80 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Constance Horner, chief of the United States [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 04:20
This post received
KUDOS
A
as i see , c has wrong pronoun usage... them for an applicant
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 187 [1] , given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: Constance Horner, chief of the United States [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 05:15
This post received
KUDOS
sagarsabnis wrote:
(B) any dangerous or illegal drug, if used in the five years prior to applying for a job, should be grounds for not hiring an applicant
whats wrong in B???

The drugs are not the grounds for rejecting an applicant...the 'usage' of drugs by an applicant is a problem for the chief :)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Constance Horner, chief of the United States [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 13:42
@talk2pk even i dont know the explanation hence I posted it
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Constance Horner, chief of the United States [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 06:46
talk2pk wrote:
wts wrong in C..?

The biggiest problem in C is that it uses pronoun 'them' to refer to antecedent of possessive form 'an applicant's'. In addition, 'them' is wrong to refer to singular antecedent.

(C) an applicant’s use of any dangerous or illegal drug in the five years prior to application for a job be grounds not to hire them
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Constance Horner, chief of the United States [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2009, 00:47
I went for E...I realissed the problem with E is the modifier...
E) for five years prior to applying for a job, an applicant’s use of any dangerous or illegal drug be grounds for not hiring them...
Bold part must refer to applicant and not to applicant's usage....
Am i right in interpretting this?

Regards,
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 19

Re: Constance Horner, chief of the United States [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2009, 20:17
sagarsabnis wrote:
960. Constance Horner, chief of the United States government’s personnel agency, has recommended that the use of any dangerous or illegal drug in the five years prior to application for a job be grounds for not hiring an applicant.(A) the use of any dangerous or illegal drug in the five years prior to application for a job be grounds for not hiring an applicant
(D) an applicant’s use of any dangerous or illegal drug in the five years prior to applying for a job are grounds that they not be hired
(E) for five years prior to applying for a job, an applicant’s use of any dangerous or illegal drug be grounds for not hiring them

whats wrong in B???

Recommended falls under subjunctive category. So "should" is incorrect usage. Be is sufficient. :) Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subjunctive_mood
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 42 [2] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Constance Horner, chief of the United States [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 10:48
This post received
KUDOS
(A) the use of any dangerous or illegal drug in the five years prior to application for a job be grounds for not hiring an applicant
CORRECT
"ANY USE OF DRUG" AND NOT "THE DRUG" SHOULD BE GROUNDS FOR BLAH BLAH BLAH.
"APPLYING FOR A JOB" SHOULD BE "APPLICATION FOR A JOB"
SUBJECT VERB AGRREMENT PROBLEM
AN APPLICANTS USE/ THEM IS INCORRECT
AN APPLICANTS USE/ THEY IS INCORRECT
AN APPLICANTS USE/ THEM IS INCORRECT
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Constance Horner, chief of the United States [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2010, 06:13
This post received
KUDOS
It`s A.

B is not the answer, because the USE is the subject of the sentence.
C is not correct, since applicant`s is Singular, while THEM is plural
D is not chosen for the same reason as C + the Verb is not used in the correct form
E - the same as C + wrong modifier placement
7 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Admitted: IESE($$),HEC, RSM,Esade
WE 1: 3.5 years international
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 59 [7] , given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: Constance Horner, chief of the United States [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2010, 06:15
This post received
KUDOS
sagarsabnis wrote:
Constance Horner, chief of the United States government’s personnel agency, has recommended that the use of any dangerous or illegal drug in the five years prior to application for a job be grounds for not hiring an applicant.

whats wrong in B???

The answer is A.
From the statement we can clearly make out that its a case of command subjunctive, which calls for the use of "that" and "be".
B- Incorrect: Never use "should" in command subjunctive.
C- Incorrect: Disagreement between pronoun and number. The pronoun should be "his or her".
D- Incorrect: Same as C. The pronoun "they" is outright wrong in this context.
E- Incorrect: Same as C, and D. The use of the pronoun "them" is wrong.
A correctly maintains the command subjunctive form.

Consider giving kudos if you like this explanation :)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 43 [1] , given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Constance Horner, chief of the United States [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2010, 06:58
This post received
KUDOS
sagarsabnis wrote:

whats wrong in B???

+1 A
C,D,E refer to "an" applicant as them (noun-antecedent error)
B is awkward for various reason ( subject is drug and not the use of drugs, "should" changes the meaning etc) cannt be 100% what the error is for B but i eliminated it due to "awkardness"
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Constance Horner, chief of the United States [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2010, 07:24
This post received
KUDOS
Nice question. C, D and E can be eliminated for pronoun error. All these sentences use possesive noun (applicant's) and they, them cannot refer to him

If you like my post, consider giving me some KUDOS !!!!! Like you I need them

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User
Re: Constance Horner, chief of the United States [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2010, 07:36
talk2pk wrote:
wts wrong in C..?

Recommend is a command subjunctive and requires the bare form of the verb "be" according to MGMAT sc strategy guide.

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Constance Horner, chief of the United States [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2010, 08:05
+1 A 8-)

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB - Co 2013
WE 1: IT Professional since 2006
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Constance Horner, chief of the United States [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2010, 10:35
sagarsabnis wrote:

whats wrong in B???

Nice question, took me a while to get around it.
C, D and E may be rejected straight away; all three of them have "...an applicant...they/them...".
B voilates the format of command subjunctive. Left with A.

Respect,
Vaibhav

PS: Correct me if I am wrong.

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton,NY Stern,INSEAD,Stanford

Kudos [?]: 28 [2] , given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Constance Horner, chief of the United States [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2010, 15:55
This post received
KUDOS
The sentence is subjunctive mood.

So "should be "....is incorrect ...B is out

Ans C & E contain "them" doesn't have antecedent

"D " contains incorrect idiom "grounds"

Correct idiom "grounds...for"

Regards,
Nagesh
My GMAT Study Plan: my-gmat-study-plan-112833.html
Idioms List : gmat-idioms-104283.html?hilit=idioms#p813231
--------------------------------------
Consider Kudos if you like my posts

Last edited by nageshshiv on 12 Nov 2010, 20:14, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Re: Constance Horner, chief of the United States [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2010, 18:29
hold the party Phantoms!

the use of any dangerous or illegal drug in the five years prior to application for a job

does this mean that anyone uses in this universe uses "crack" and the poor applicant gets screwed?

tell me that "A" is the best out of the (bad) lot.... i'll agree!
Re: Constance Horner, chief of the United States   [#permalink] 12 Nov 2010, 18:29