Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 08:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Construction of the Roman Colosseum, which was

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [3] , given: 17

Construction of the Roman Colosseum, which was [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2013, 12:42
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

60% (01:57) correct 40% (01:00) wrong based on 176 sessions
Construction of the Roman Colosseum, which was officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, began in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, was completed a decade later, during the reign of Titus, who opened the Colosseum with a one-hundred-day cycle of religious pageants, gladiatorial games, and spectacles.

A. which was officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, began in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian,
B. officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, begun in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, and
C. which was officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, began in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, and
D. officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater and begun in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian it
E. officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, which was begun in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, and

Hi guys, I have some misunderstandings about this question in which I would appreciate some explanations

1. 'Construction' is the subject, right? so how this sentence possible : 'construction of the Roman.....began in blah blah'. My point is how the 'construction' began something?? It seems illogical to me. :help2 :?: Shouldn't it be 'construction was begun' in 'C'? I know! I must be wrong, but I couldn't justify myself until now.

2. The verb 'was completed' is passive or 'was' is a linking verb and 'completed' is the adjectives to describe 'construction'. I ask this in regard to my approach to this question; I thought that 'and' must be there, so after 'and' we need a parallel construction, so I said to myself we have 'was completed' so we must have 'was begun' to create parallelism. But when I saw the correct answer I said to myself maybe 'was completed' is not passive (I am REALLY confused) and we need 'began'. When I reached to this point of my logic my first question popped up. Now here I am with lots of paradoxes in my mind. Please help me getting rid of some annoying misunderstandings. Thanks a million.

3. According to my descriptions, Why 'E' is incorrect?

BTW sorry for such dumb questions. I think, I need an in-depth explanation. :( :(
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 42

Reviews Badge
Re: Construction of the Roman Colosseum, which was [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2013, 14:00
This post received
KUDOS
In E, there is not verb for subject Construction of the Roman Colosseum.
3 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 136

Kudos [?]: 1373 [3] , given: 122

Re: Construction of the Roman Colosseum, which was [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2013, 21:59
This post received
KUDOS
zazoz wrote:

1. 'Construction' is the subject, right? so how this sentence possible : 'construction of the Roman.....began in blah blah'. My point is how the 'construction' began something?? It seems illogical to me. :help2 :?: Shouldn't it be 'construction was begun' in 'C'? I know! I must be wrong, but I couldn't justify myself until now.

Hi zazor.
I'm glad to help.

"Construction began in A.D. 69....." is 100% correct. Because "begin" is intransitive verb that is complete in itself and does not require any further elements to make its meaning complete.
For example: When I listen that song, my heart breaks ==> even though "heart" is a passive doer of action "break", but we don't need to say "my heart is broken".
Other intransitive verbs: appear, arrive, begin, break, come, cough, decrease, die, disappear, drown, fall, go, happen,.....

Quote:
2. The verb 'was completed' is passive or 'was' is a linking verb and 'completed' is the adjectives to describe 'construction'. I ask this in regard to my approach to this question; I thought that 'and' must be there, so after 'and' we need a parallel construction, so I said to myself we have 'was completed' so we must have 'was begun' to create parallelism. But when I saw the correct answer I said to myself maybe 'was completed' is not passive (I am REALLY confused) and we need 'began'. When I reached to this point of my logic my first question popped up. Now here I am with lots of paradoxes in my mind. Please help me getting rid of some annoying misunderstandings. Thanks a million.

We have to say "was completed" because "complete" is NOT a transitive verb. ==> The parallel structure in C is: the construction began .....and was completed......

Quote:

E is 100% incorrect because "which" modifies " the Flavian Amphitheater" wrongly. Let ask yourself what began in A.D. 69.? the Flavian Amphitheater (the Roman Colosseum) --OR-- The construction? ==> Clearly, the construction did. Thus, "which" is a misplaced modifier --> E is wrong.

Hope it's clear.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GPA: 3.6
WE: Business Development (Education)

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 31

Re: Construction of the Roman Colosseum, which was [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2013, 00:12
This post received
KUDOS
Construction of the Roman Colosseum, which was officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, began in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, was completed a decade later, during the reign of Titus, who opened the Colosseum with a one-hundred-day cycle of religious pageants, gladiatorial games, and spectacles.

A. which was officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, began in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian,
B. officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, begun in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, and
C. which was officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, began in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, and
D. officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater and begun in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian it
E. officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater, which was begun in A.D. 69, during the reign of Vespasian, and

At the end we need a conjunction to connect, i.e AND. hence eliminate A and D. Now are are left with B C E.

E. WAS BEGUN is wrong.

Now as we have narrowed down our options to B and C.

In C "WHICH WAS" correctly refers to "Roman Colosseum" where as in B, "officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater" can refer to "Roman Colosseum" and also "Construction" hence creates ambiguity.

So my final choice C.

Hope this helps.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 17

Re: Construction of the Roman Colosseum, which was [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2013, 04:55
pqhai wrote:
zazoz wrote:

Hi zazor.
I'm glad to help.

"Construction began in A.D. 69....." is 100% correct. Because "begin" is intransitive verb that is complete in itself and does not require any further elements to make its meaning complete.
For example: When I listen that song, my heart breaks ==> even though "heart" is a passive doer of action "break", but we don't need to say "my heart is broken".
Other intransitive verbs: appear, arrive, begin, break, come, cough, decrease, die, disappear, drown, fall, go, happen,.....

Quote:

We have to say "was completed" because "complete" is NOT a transitive verb. ==> The parallel structure in C is: the construction began .....and was completed......

Quote:

E is 100% incorrect because "which" modifies " the Flavian Amphitheater" wrongly. Let ask yourself what began in A.D. 69.? the Flavian Amphitheater (the Roman Colosseum) --OR-- The construction? ==> Clearly, the construction did. Thus, "which" is a misplaced modifier --> E is wrong.

Hope it's clear.

Hi pqhai,

Thank you for your detailed answers. With your explanations my concerns cleared out. The concept you explained about Intransitive verbs always apply, right? I mean when we have them in sentences we don't need further helping verb such as is, was, etc. right?

And just to be sure, in this question's parallelism (...began.....and was completed) began is active or passive? ( Regarding your explanations I would answer my question : active) If I am right, Should we have two passive construction to avoid anti-parallelism?

BTW my name tag is zazoz! :wink:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.3
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 324

CAT Tests
Re: Construction of the Roman Colosseum, which was [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2014, 06:12
kulkarnios wrote:

At the end we need a conjunction to connect, i.e AND. hence eliminate A and D. Now are are left with B C E.

E. WAS BEGUN is wrong.

Now as we have narrowed down our options to B and C.

In C "WHICH WAS" correctly refers to "Roman Colosseum" where as in B, "officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater" can refer to "Roman Colosseum" and also "Construction" hence creates ambiguity.

So my final choice C.

Hope this helps.

Nice explanation.

I eliminated the options B,D and as the following construction :

"Construction of the Roman Colosseum, officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater" gives us an impression that "Construction of the Roman Colosseum" as a whole known as Flavian Amphitheater which is wrong and which is required here to point to the "Roman Colosseum".

Thanks,
Kinjal
Never Give Up !!!

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful
Linkedin Handle : https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=116231592

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 293

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Construction of the Roman Colosseum, which was [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2014, 08:31
Could someone please elaborate more on the (B) vs (D) split?

Would be happy to throw some Kudos out there

Cheers
J
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 324

CAT Tests
Re: Construction of the Roman Colosseum, which was [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2014, 09:39
jlgdr wrote:
Could someone please elaborate more on the (B) vs (D) split?

Would be happy to throw some Kudos out there

Cheers
J

in both the options, B and D, :
Construction of the Roman Colosseum,officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater.

"officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater" is acting as modifier for Roman Colosseum and is giving more information. but if we read the sentence it gives out a meaning as "officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater" is modifying "Construction of the Roman Colosseum" which is not correct. So the error can be rectified by using which/that (relative pronoun) to fix the noun.
or the sentence can be started as "Roman Colosseum,officially known as the Flavian Amphitheater" - this makes sense.

Hope this clarifies your doubt.

Thanks,
Kinjal
Never Give Up !!!

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful
Linkedin Handle : https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=116231592

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA.in
Prasad: Hariharan
GRE 1: 2280 Q790 V710
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 4

Re: Construction of the Roman Colosseum, which was [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2014, 09:50
The primary error in B and D is that the options use the wrong tense of "begin" (begun).

GMAT and MBA admissions Coach
EnterMBA

Re: Construction of the Roman Colosseum, which was   [#permalink] 24 Mar 2014, 09:50